Comet - Poor customer service

jones161
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4213 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I know its long but this is what ive just sent to Comet's CEO, fingers crossed!!

Dear Mr Darke,

Unfortunately I am emailing you with what I feel is a quite appalling experience I have had in your Northwich store.

On the 17/11/11 I, along with my fiancee and child purchased a Samsung fridge freezer and an Indesit washer-drier. The total amount I spent that day was £1,084.97 which I'm sure you will appreciate is a substantial amount of money to spend in these uncertain times.

I was satisfied with the service I received and also had advice from the staff regarding delivery and taking our old appliances away. As I was giving our current fridge freezer to relatives all I required was that our current washer was taken away (I work close to 60 hours a week, 6 days a week so the thought of someone coming and taking our old washing machine away was very appealing, I was charged £10 for this which I thought was very reasonable) What wasn't clearly explained was that this service that I paid extra for did NOT include un-installing the old washer and installing the new one (had this of been explained I would of been happy to pay for this extra service, as I am no plumber!!)

The problems started on the day of delivery which was the 19/11/11 (again I was very happy to have the items delivered so quickly, unfortunately I was at work on this day)

What I was expecting (and thought I'd paid for) was a very quick and easy process of delivery arriving, appliances put into place (I had already removed the fridge freezer out of the house so there was a 2ft gaping space for the new one to go) and have the old washer removed!!

Call it intuition but on the morning of delivery (although I had done everything I could to make the process very quick and easy) I felt uncomfortable with what was going to happen, my fiancee and 2 month old daughter were in the house so I'm sure you see why I felt apprehensive, so I called my 68 year old father to make sure everything went ok. By the time he had got to the house your THREE delivery men were already at the house and had dumped the 7ft fridge freezer in the middle of the living room, and not bothered to move it the extra 5ft required to complete the job.

Then came the shock that would not be taking out old washer as we hadn't paid them to do so, at this point our daughter required attention and my father not knowing what we had and hadn't paid for was in some confusion.

In a whirlwind your THREE delivery men were gone......

So now in my living room (which is only 17ft - 12ft) I have a 7ft fridge and a washing machine with no room to move and an old washer still plumbed in, in our kitchen. You can imagine how this made my fiancee and father feel.

So now with your THREE delivery men gone, my 68 year old father (SIXTY EIGHT) now has to move a 7ft fridge freezer into the kitchen (something three strong delivery men failed to do). Do you think this is acceptable?? My father has already had one heart attack but with no other alternative he moves the fridge freezer..... this is the first thing that disgusts me about my whole purchase!!

After he has moved the fridge freezer my fiancee notices that where your THREE delivery men left the fridge freezer, is has pushed our chandelier upwards and cracking the light cluster where is had been squashed between the ceiling and the fridge..... did your delivery men realise this before making a quick exit I wonder?? Once the fridge freezer was in place we also noticed a dent, I have since declined the offer of a replacement as I'm not sure if it was there when delivered or if my father has done it whilst moving it (although he shouldn't have had to do so) I do not wish for this saga to go on any longer.

My father also un-plumbed the old washer, moved it outside and installed the new one. Would you like him to come and show your delivery men how it's done?? I trust the men in question will be dealt with as you see appropriate. I must say that the store did arrange for the collection of my old washer the next day (which DID happen) and a refund of the £10 collection charge (I'm not sure if this has been done)

Unfortunately it doesn't end there....... The next day 20/11/11 I phoned the store to explain what had happened and I spoke to Jan, she agreed with me that what I had experienced was disgusting and she would call me back with some answers. Within 20 minutes she did phone me back explaining that she had raised my complaint and that your Northwich branch store manager Robert Dolan would ring me the following day as he wasn't in store.

On the 21/11/11 I had a conversation with Robert who again shared my opinion that this was unacceptable and asked what did I think would be a suitable settlement, I advised him that what I thought would be acceptable would be payment for my broken chandelier, to my credit I feel, I have not asked for any further compensation........

On the 22/11/11 I received a phonecall from your customer services department who asked me how much would a replacement chandelier cost, I advised him that although the chandelier was there when we moved in, and although there are chandeliers for much less, I hadn't seen one similar for under £200. He asked me if a £200 cheque would solve the issue I had and he said 'then we can all get on with our lives'. I wasn't sure if that was meant sincerely or if he felt I was just another moaner...... I feel I have been very very patient with Comet so far. I accepted his offer thought this would be the end of the matter, he told me to expect the cheque within 10 days!!

I waited 10 days and received nothing...... I thought maybe I need to wait 10 working days, I still received nothing!!

On the 15/12/11 I phoned Robert at the store and told him I hadn't received anything, he made a phonecall and called me straight back saying that it can take upto 30 days to receive a cheque (this was not what I was told in the conversation I had on the 22/11/11 with your customer services department) At this point I stayed calm as I was assured the cheque would arrive. And to be honest at this point I'm starting to feel most fed up by the whole episode!

So I waited a further week, and surprise surprise I still receive no cheque, no phonecall, no apology, nothing!!

Again I stay patient as it's Christmas and we all know what the post is like over Christmas.

So today 27/11/11 a full 36 days after I was told 10 days and 41 days after spending over £1,000 with your company, I decide I will go into the store for an 'update' as I was passing. What I was expecting was to be told 'Don't worry Mr Jones, I assure you it's on it's way'. I spoke to Robert in the store who went away to make a phonecall. After waiting in store for what felt like 40 minutes (it may of only been 20) Robert informs me that NO cheque has been sent, and that they have no records of ever agreeing to compensate me £200.

So now I am livid..... I have been more than patient with your store and company but this simply IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!

When will I receive a cheque for the damage caused?? will it be another 10 days?? 30 days?? will it ever arrive??

My whole experience from buying from Comet has been a shambles, I am absolutely disgusted with your company.

I have since shared my experience with friends and colleagues who have purchased appliances from Curry's and other electrical stored since my story hasn't gave them the confidence to trust Comet to deliver a basic level of customer service.

I do not feel I have been a difficult person, all I wanted was a smooth transaction...... all i got was a disgrace!!

I do have a choice on where I take my business, I decided on Comet which as it turns out was a very very bad decision!!

I feel you need to made aware with what is going on within your company.

Hopefully this will now be dealt with as a matter of urgency

I look forward to your reply

Hi jones

Welcome to CAG

They can't even keep to a agreement, after making an offer to settle the matter.

Let us know what he/they say.

Wow what an epic post ,

What I would suggest put your complaint in WRITING also and send to the " Directors Office " via Registered mail .

Emails tend to get lost in an empty void at the press of a button .

I am pretty sure Mr Darke receives thousands of emails every day from unhappy customers .

Regards

GorgieBoy

Thanx for your replies and advice!!

So far I have received an email saying my complaint has been acknowledged which is a start I suppose?!?!

Just a shame it's got to the stage it has!!

I'll keep you posted

• 10 months later...

I bought a washing machine from Comet on 07/01/2010 with 3 years extended guarantee. I never got a receipt of my purchase even though I called them several times during these 2 years, we are on 30/10/2012.

I sent an email last week with the ref number and delivery number, address and name it was register and no answer from them.

When I bought my dishwasher last year I preferred Curry's because of the Comet receipt problem. I was thinking in extending my guarantee with the washing machine but I decided NOT because Comet service. Please don't buy from them, it is NOT worth to have a service with Comet.