DVLA - Failure to inform medical condition

maxpdaddy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4531 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hey guys

Back in 2007 i was diagnosed with obstruction sleep apneoa... long story short i didn't know it was dvla notifiable condition until recently and no one told me. none of the leaflets or any other details given to me told me this fact.

In hindsight im a little mad at myself for not thinking to check or look it up when i believe myself to have a fair amount of intelligence but there we go. another problem was that i've always thought the doctor/hospital advised the dvla anyway ( i have no other conditions so never knew).

i became homeless and was living on the streets for a while straight after the diagnosis this so did not drive but i've now been back on the roads for about 2 years

in those 2 years i've had 2 minor accidents one was considered 'not at fault' the other seems to have been decided as 'at fault' even though i was swearving to avoid a child on the road and had the choice to either kill her or hit an on coming vehicle. the first accident i was a named driver on my partners car and that insurance is now expired and we no longer use that company... the second accident was my own insurance policy that is still current..

Of course i want to do the right thing here and inform the dvla... but im aware that ignorance of the law is no excuse so my questions are:

1. what will happen will i get fined and lose my licence ?

2. has my licence been void all this time ?

3. is my insurance also null and void leaving me liable for the accidents i've had?? im guessing any old companies cant really find out??

I also drove professionally for a while so im wondering if that company found out whether they could take some form of action.

Having a valid licence is also required for my new job as an IT engineer as i am expected to travel to site occasionally.

Any advice here would be massively appreciated... its really playing on the mind.

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

I will flag this for the site team for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I think he needs to talk to DVLA and his insurance company. I don't think this is really a consumer issue

I have also been advised that you could do the following.

First check with your Dr to see if this condition is till current. If so, Speak to DVLA and advise them that you have been diagnosed with this condition.

If DVLA rescind your licence, then you just need to let the insurer know what has happened as you will obviously want to cancel the insurance if you arent able to use it.

I must admit, I always thought a Doctor or Consultant would advise you if a condition was such that, if you were a driver, you would need to advise the DVLA.

If you dont still have the condition, then is the question not irrelevant ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I was diagnosed with OSA a few years back.

The advice from my consultant was that the condition was notifiable (by me, not him) but that if treatment was successful it was not necessary to notify DVLA.

I have a CPAP machine when sleeping which negates the problem and means that DVLA do not need to be notified