Opticians and consumer rights?

phoenix11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4569 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place for this one.

Does anyone know what a customer's rights are regarding opticians, eye tests, inaccurate prescriptions etc? :!:

I've had incredibe problems in the past and this time I'm really getting so fed up with opticians demanding that I take and use glasses which are so bad, it's like trying to see with someone elses lenses and cause instant problems.

They insist I must "expect" to suffer headaches and nausea whilst my eyes and brain adjust!! No mention of the fact that I cannot see a darn thing and that my health and possibly even my life are at risk, certainly trying to go downstairs or cross the road!! I've already tried one set for nearly 3 weeks, but the 'problems' caused by the prescription being not right, did not go away. The second set were so bad, I thought I was going to throw up when I tried to use them.

What recourse do I have? I only have the prescription from the first eye sight, but not the other two - both of which differ from the first and each other, apparently. They're essentially saying I've cost them too much money already, although I've paid in full, but currently have no glasses apart from the one pair I can use very well as they are fine - but are an old pair and don't give me the complete range of lenses I need.

Anyone got any ideas on this? :pray:

Edited by phoenix11
smiley too big.

Hmmmmmm - it's concise in some ways and gives info in clear and simple terms about what it can and can't do.

But it's also rather vague in terms of consumer rights, not a surprise, rather the only bit about 'rights' is in support of the opticians!

It's too easy for opticians to take the money and leave the customer stuffed!!!

I'm usually quite good at standing up for myself, but I've experienced just plain bullishness, patronising and a refusal to accept they are not getting something right - always covering their backsides by effectively saying it's my fault.

The other issue is that their 'terms' were not explained before I had the original eyesight test, or before I then agreed to have the glasses made up - so that's another sneaky and essentially dishonest practice IMO.

Thank you, seana (?).

I'll get down to some reading tomorrow and see if I have a case if they don't get things right very soon.

They're also trying to get me to pay for more 'enhancements' now, which are cosmetic and not necessary at all.

On another note, I've been asking others about eye tests and it would appear that in this country, in the main, we are sadly lagging behind other countries in Europe at least in terms of technological developments.

In short, many opticians are still using the same old equipment or tests that other countries gave the boot too ages ago!!

I'm also finding that they simply will not take time to make sure they've got the readings correct - it's all rush rush, take the money, shove 'em out and "Next!".

Ahhh - but it's too late - I've had my free eye test, paid in full for the glasses, including part of the cost being paid for because I'm on benefits.

So, going elsewhere is not an option now. that's the nasty catch.

Hmm pity, did you know that you can take you prescription to another opticians to fill out, just so that you know for next time. I would at some point when you have your next check up to go to another opticians, one who is a little more accepting to listen. :)

Right - but that would only make things worse when it's the prescription that's the problem.

I've done a bit of reading up on the links and it appears that a huge number of complaints about opticians are where the dispensing optician is different tothe one who did the eye test, which is kind of understandable in a way.

If the prescription isn't right, then I think it possibly reduces a consumer's rights if they get someone else to make it up because they've got the added problem of working out if it is the prescription, or the way the presctription has been made up.

I rather hoped that by having it all done in one place at least they would work at getting it right - clearly "getting it right" is open to interpretation!

Anyway, have spoken to Consumer Direct and the Gen Opt Council who have both given me some helpful information on my rights, which is a start.

Let's hope I can soon be singing: "I can see clearly now the crud has gone" boom wappa boom wappa boom "I can see all ......... lovely things on my way" etc etc.

:lol: