Swinton Car Insurance

TeeSee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6623 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My wife has recently had an attempted theft of her car. As it is it a fairly old car we're expecting it to be written off as it's worth just a few hundred pounds. However we'll probably not be able to buy another as money's tight at the moment and with the little we're expecting from the insurance plus the 100 excess we have to pay I don't think we'll be able to stretch to another too easily. Luckily I work in the same town as I live so we'll car share.

However, when she popped into Swinton yesterday and enquired if the car was written off could she get a refund on her policy, she was told that there would be no refund as the "insurance company [Fortis] needs to reclaim it's losses".

Since the policy is only 3 months old today this means that of the original 200 pounds price they should be really be refunding about 150 ish, which to us is a lot of money.

I'm aware that there is probably an administration fee involved in cancelling a policy but surely they still can't withold the full value on such a tentative excuse?

With an expected offer of only 350 pounds and having to shell out 100 excess, plus the loss of her no-claims bonus we'll be the ones losing, but it sounds to me we're expected to buoy up the poor insurance company's losses even more by having to forfeit the rest of the policy money.

Can anyone shed any light on our rights here?

Thanks in advance

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6623 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks