Bait Advertising?

electrode101
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4582 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you order something online for collection and get a "You may receive a substitute of similar specification, but which is cosmetically different." Make sure you have the means in the store to check online the value of the product they are giving as the substitute.

I almost got robbed by them when they substituted with a product almost half the value, I found out when I got it home and found that comet had the item for almost half the price. I returned it and got a refund no problems and got it from comet.:mad2:

I’ve had what I think is called a moral debate with Argos about this case of Bait advertising and Argos claim they are within the law on this subject. I have noticed though that the product in question is now £26.99 down from £54.99.

Victory is mine; well I still paid £29.99. So Victory is yours; whoever buys one at this new remarkable price

I wouldn't say its bait advertising at all, nor unlawful. The most common way for a staff member to say its different is to say "The item may be slightly different from in the catalogue". There are variations of the message that can come up these can be it is cosmetically different, a different brand name may be received (Usually its only the case for Argos owned brands items), or a substitute may be received with a similar specification.

Tips are to a) Ask what the bulletin actually says so you know what the difference falls into b) View the product c) If it is different maybe google the model number.

It is however very very annoying for both consumers and staff, takes up plenty of staff time in getting items down for viewing which could easily be avoided if the company would not substitute items under the same catalogue number but have them come in under a new number and linking the two. (Bulletin + Alternative if Avebury would like any tips on how to do it!)

The majority of the time the item is the same, sometimes its much better (Had a £4.99 Alba Scart lead come in as a very decent Belkin Scart, have also had cases of a TV with double the specs coming out). Sometimes items of similar spec are not always similar price despite every effort made to fulfil items when we struggle to get the original stock in. This is what they are doing, not trying to advertise items and actually pass off a lesser one, the catalogue is printed months in advance and unfortunately cannot be changed, so being told at a till something is different is often the earliest we can tell you.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

The effect of the law (number 5 of Schedule 1 to The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008) is to allow them to supply "equivalent products", a very big loophole.

It becomes an offence when the average consumer is roped in by a bogus offer in order to be tempted by something not so equivalent.