Redundancy threat during martinity

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4608 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm new at this but would really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

I am currently on maternity leave, due to return to work in January but I have just been advised that my division is closing at the end of December and all staff are in a 2 week consultation period, after which redundancy notices may be given.

I have worked at the same company for nearly 8 years. It's a large company and I'm sure they are well versed with the procedures and I am sure they will keep things above board however i am the only one in my division who is a) on maternity leave and b) only works part time (as I reduced my hours after having my first child). I can't see as there could be a position suitable for me so i am kind of braced for redundancy.

I would like to know, if I am made redundant:

- does the notice period start after maternity leave ends or imediately when informed?

- if notice is during maternity leave, is notice pay my full salary or SMP?

- should i be expected to return to work after maternity leave to fulfill the notice period?

- i will reach my 8-year mark during the notice period (before the end of my maternity leave), will it count to my redundancy entitlement?

- at what point am i eligible to start a new job (if found) without affecting my redundancy pay?

I know this is alot to ask but any information on the matter would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

- The notice period starts when your role is made redundant.

- While on maternity leave notice pay would be full salary, but any SMP you receive during that time can be counted towards this.

- If your division is closed at the end of December it's unlikely that you'd be expected to return after maternity leave to work your notice as this would imply that there is suitable alternative employment available for you, in which case they shouldn't make you redundant.

As you are on maternity leave, you are entitled to be offered any existing suitable alternative vacancy available by your employer (or an associated employer).

- Yes, your redundancy payment should be based on 8 years service.

- Tricky one this because, although it's pretty unlikely, in theory your redundancy could be revoked at any time up to the last minute of your notice period.