Wescot taking me to court for MBNA debt ***STRUCK OUT***

clayts
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4406 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I reckon I'll stick with what I've got then, although I might just add a reference to the SRA on there too when I mention escalation :)

Edited by clayts
typo

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Complaint sent today by recorded delivery, with a few minor amendments to the text (and additional references to escalating to the SRA) but nothing major altered - light blue touch paper and stand back...

Final complaint

(1) Background

Wescot SPV Limited (‘Wescot’) brought a claim against myself in Northampton County Court Bulk Centre on 29 September 2011, case number xxxx

The proceedings alluded to certain documents which Wescot intended to rely upon in support of their claim.

Despite requesting sight of these documents, and mutually agreeing a timetable with Wescot enabling them ample time to provide the documents, it became necessary for myself to apply to the Court to issue a General Directions Order to seek possession of the documents in order that I could prepare my defence to the Court claim.

The Court issued an Order on 6 December 2011, directing Wescot to produce the documents by 20 December 2011 (copy enclosed for reference).

Wescot failed to produce the documents within the timescale and on 21 December 2011 the Court struck out Wescot’s claim.

(2) Details of Complaint

My complaint relates to three letters issued by Wescot Credit Services Limited on 10 December 2011, 22 December 2011 and 31 January 2012, copies of which are attached for your reference.

The two letters issued in December 2011 contain information which is a direct breach of the OFT Debt Collection Guidance.

The letter issued in January 2012 contains inaccurate information about the legal standing of Wescot in this matter.

I shall now expand further, looking at each letter in turn.

(a) The letter of 10 December 2011 notes in the opening paragraph :

As you have failed to respond to our attempts to contact you and agree repayment of the above account, a County Court Judgment (CCJ) is now registered against you for the full amount shown above. You should have received a copy of the CCJ from the County Court.

This is factually incorrect as the Court has never issued such a Judgment, and confirmed this with me.

This statement is a direct breach of the OFT Debt Collection Guidance, namely Section 3, Unfair or Improper Business Practices: False representation of authority and/or legal position, which states

3.5. Examples of unfair or improper practices are as follows…

… (e) falsely implying or stating that action has been taken when it

has not (For example, stating that civil action has been taken when it has not or that a court judgment has already been obtained when it has not

been.)

(b) The letter of 22 December 2011 notes in the opening paragraph

You have failed to pay in accordance with the terms of the County Court Judgment. Unless this default is paid within the next 7 days, the claimant may commence enforcement action….

…Further, an application may be made to the Court for an Order for Questioning. This would result in court documents being personally served on you, ordering your attendance at your local County Court

Again, these two statements are factually incorrect and are a direct breach of the OFT Debt Collection Guidance referred to at (a) above.

You will note that the dates of both letters relate to the period just after the Court had issued the General Directions Order of 6 December 2011.

By the date of this second letter, Wescot had in fact already failed to comply with the Court’s Order of 6 December 2011 and by definition their claim had been already been struck out by the Court, which gave them no legal right to pursue the debt.

I do concede that both of these letters are apparently computer produced but they are ‘signed’ by S de Tute, who I understand is a solicitor and also the President of the Credit Services Association. I find it incredible that Sara de Tute would be putting her name to such letters, which so clearly fall foul of the OFT Guidance.

© The letter of 31 January 2012 encloses the documents which were Ordered by the Court on 6 December 2011, over a month later than the deadline date. The documents are now purely academic as the Court claim has been struck out.

The letter notes that

We have the option of an Application to the Court to have the action re-instated or issuing a fresh Claim exhibiting, in evidence the Documents we have enclosed

On the first point, this is factually incorrect – it would not be possible for the Court to reinstate the Claim. The General Directions Order of 6 December 2011 clearly states that

This order has been made without a hearing under the Courts case management powers contained in the Civil Procedure Rules Part 3. You may within 7 days of the service of this order, apply to the Court to set aside or vary the order under Part 23 Rule 10…

As no such application was made within 7 days, the option for Wescot to apply to set aside the Court’s General Direction Order has long passed.

On the second point, whilst it may be technically possible for Wescot to issue a fresh Claim, the claim would be vigorously defended by myself under Res judicata, in that it is not possible for a Claimant to bring the same proceedings again when a decision (in this case, the first claim being struck out) has already been made.

Once again, Wescot have breached the OFT Debt Collection Guidance namely Section 3, Unfair or Improper Business Practices: False representation of authority and/or legal position, which states

3.5. Examples of unfair or improper practices are as follows…

…(b) falsely implying or stating that action can, or will, be taken,

when legally it cannot be taken

(3) Resolution

I propose the following resolutions to this complaint :

(1) With reference to the letters of 10 and 22 December 2011, I seek your written assurances that you will review your procedures to ensure that other customers are not issued with the same erroneous computer-produced letter(s) whilst legal proceedings are still underway (unless of course a County Court Judgment has actually been issued by the Court)

(2) With reference to the letter of 31 January 2012, I seek your written assurances that :

• Wescot will not be pursuing this matter in the Court in the future

• Wescot will be closing the matter

• Wescot will be removing any adverse information entered by them on any Credit Reference Agency records about myself during the time they were assigned this debt

Should this matter not be resolved to my satisfaction, I shall have no alternative but to escalate this complaint with the Office of Fair Trading and the Solicitors Regulation Authority, which could result in financial penalties being imposed upon your organisation. I trust this will not be necessary.

Very good Clayts like to be a fly on the wall when that lands:wink:

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Got an acknowledgement at last - their policy gives them 4 weeks to respond or to ask me for more time up to a maximum of 8 weeks....

Ho-hum - this one will run on a bit longer than anticipated, but I do need to exhaust their policy before escalating.

" but I do need to exhaust their policy before escalating." .......key!!!!!

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

• 2 weeks later...

Complaint upheld, apology received for the two letters sent in error and, more critically, 'the decision was then taken that the account would be closed on our system and no further contact would be made to you'. They didn't actually tell me that any time, but this is the outcome I wanted, so I'll stick with that, thanks :) They also stated that the account defaulted in August 2005 (I wasn't ever told this by anyone) so that should have dropped off the record now (I'll do an Experian check). Result.

Right, now for my PPI reclaim then.....;)

Oh well done, Clayts :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Result Clayts:thumb:

Well done

Regards

Andy