Do i need to buy internet where i am!?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4630 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have just moved into a flat, bang in the center of my city. I am on a budget, so anything inexpensive or free is always a bonus.

I'm wondering if there is a fair chance that i could pick up a free Wifi connection. I know most citys have Wifi zones & am wondering if that means all the city center. There is a Wetherspoons 50 yds away & know they have their free wifi service.

I haven't a laptop yet, only this desktop unit at my familys house!, so i can't test anything. Help appreciated.

the cloud do wifi access and also open zone from bt

a better option as you live in town would be to go into your local 3 shop and buy a dongle

pay 12 months in advance, about 60 quid and you get 15g worth of data for 12 months

ideal for browsing and email

but if you are down loading files etc, sign up for the wifi hot spot service

If you decide to go down the "dongle" route, see where the closes mobile phone base station is, to get the best signal http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Ok, i been to theCloud website & it seems that there is a pub directly across the road & one behind me, both are cloud hotspots!

I guess both have a unique code to login, do i need to download anything whilst in there & could the signal to login wonder outside the premisis!

Quite simply no-one can tell you a catagoric yes or no over 50 yards (45 meters) as it is quite a distance.

Here is something taken from wikipedia

Wi-Fi networks have limited range. A typical wireless router using 802.11b or 802.11g with a stock antenna might have a range of 32 m (120 ft) indoors and 95 m (300 ft) outdoors.
You can just about double that range if they use an "802.11n" router and if your hardware can recieve "802.11n" (commonly called "N")

You may be aswell popping in for a pint and asking them if their wifi uses an N router :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

What model is the compaq evo?

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Step 1

Windows XP click Start, click Run and type devmgmt.msc

Vista and 7, click Start and in the "search programs and files" type devmgmt.msc

Step 2

Click on Network adapters and tell us what is listed there. We'll be able to tell you if it is Wifi enabled.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

OK you don't have a wireless adapter built in then (the one you've listed is for a wired network). You will need to purchase a wifi PCI card or a wifi dongle.

PCI card normally have decent antenna on them, so generally have a larger range, but you need to open the PC to install it. here is one as an example.

The USB wifi dongle just plugs in. You can sometimes find these with decent antenna like this one here.

Installing the USB is far easier, and providing it has a good antenna, should serve you well.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

All wifi drivers should be set up :)

to

C.A.G. Toolbar