Money stolen from account (online)

artnada
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4634 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I am new here and registered in the hope you can help me help my friend.

She is a Mother of various aged children, is married, he is working, she is not.

Approx 3 or 4 months ago she recieved notice that money had gone missing from her account. Various sums from £300-£500, totalling £1900.00

She was asked to fill out various forms, etc and they investigated her and her family etc.

They came to the conclusion that no one in her family had anything to do with the theft of money and decided it was somehow stolen online.

She was advised tthat the money would be refunded to her, and was asked to fill out a claim form.

Now, this money, or a large part of it was rent money, and as such she couldn't pay the majority of her rent to her landlord. Her landlord was not sympathetic at all and put pressure on her to pay her rent. This she simply couldn't do, as funds were very limited, she has kids and other bills needed to be paid also.

Needless to say, her kind landlord served an evitction notice on her due to non payment of all her rent.

So, her bank keeps telling her she will be refunded but they do not know when. "it takes time".

My friend has since moved out, into another house, has had to borrow off friends and family, (inc me), to live. She has been in finanical dire straites since this money has gone.

The bank, STILL are saying it could take a few more weeks yet!!! This has been at least 2 months, probably 3, since the money was first discovered missing!

What are the rules for banks to have to pay back money that was fraudulantly removed from an account, unknown to the account holder, and proven NOT to be the account holders fault?

Is there are time limits?

If there is financial hardship as a direct result of the loss do they have to help?

Should they have paid the money back earlier?

I hope you can advise please, as my friend is pulling her hair out and this is making her ill.

As you can apprieciate, £1,900 is ALOT to have stolen!

Thank you in advance.

I see from the page on the FSA site it basically says the money should be repaid immediately?

How quickly must my bank refund me for an unauthorised transaction?

The bank must make the refund immediately unless it has evidence that one of the above reasons applies.**

Your bank may ask you to answer some questions and fill out a form confirming what has happened, but it cannot delay your refund while it waits for you to return the form. If the bank has evidence that one of the above reasons for refusing a refund applies, it may investigate before making a refund but must look into it as quickly as possible.

If your bank rejects your claim for a refund it should explain why.

If the transaction was on a credit card, the refund may not happen immediately. But the card issuer cannot charge interest or ask for repayment of the amount unless it can prove that you are liable to pay.

**above reasons

Why won’t my bank refund me?

Your bank must only refuse a refund for an unauthorised transaction if:

• it can prove you authorised the transaction – though your bank cannot simply say that use of your password, card and PIN conclusively proves you authorised a payment; or
  • it can prove you are at fault because you acted fraudulently or, because you deliberately, or with gross negligence, failed to protect the details of your card, PIN or password in a way that allowed the transaction.

Edited by artnada

WIll flag this for site team attention.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Art

Welcome to CAG

Tell her to keep all the documentation they have sent safe.

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain whats happened, what the bank has said to her, explain that the lack of a Refund has caused severe 'Hardship', give examples. Also highlight the passage from FSA. Make a complaint to the FOS, although they will say they need the bank to give a final answer before they can look into the matter.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm

If the FOS look into the matter it will cost the bank £450 minimum.

E-mail it to the CEO of the bank.