eBay USED and useless item sold as NEW and UNUSED. Please help.

helencf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4653 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I recently purchased some ink cartridges on eBay. They were listed as a 'new and unused item' with the details explaining that they had been purchased in error so 'open pack' but 'cartridges still sealed in pack'.

The ink cartridges arrived and each had been used, or at least inserted into a printer enough that each seal/nozzle was pierced. The cartridges were not sealed. There was even ink on the outside of the packaging! Each cartridge had been removed from its sealed vacuum pack and had been Sellotaped back into a plastic bag. Each cartidge was missing the plastic tape that you pull off to insert, too.

I sent a message to the seller and received no response at all. I raised a dispute with PayPal and they have said that the items were 'as described' and have sided with the seller. Even though the listing states that the items are 'new and unused'.

PayPal won't accept photographs as evidence which seems like the key part?! I took photos straight away when the cartridges arrived showing the pierced nozzles.

It all just seems ridiculous. We have received a useless item.

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks,

Helen

Thank you for your reply. I have tried eBay and it takes you through to PayPal to file your dispute. I will keep looking though. There is a link to 'SquareTrade Dispute Resolution', which I may try. Has anyone used this?

I have put some photos on a blog of the eBay listing and of the photos of the printer cartridges I received. I can't post a link as I am new to the forums but you can find it if you Google 'ebaysalefail blog'

I heard that PayPal often side with the buyer so I was shocked when they went with the seller.

I've never used the SquareTrade Dispute, but what do you have to lose? Did the seller respond to the Paypal dispute, if they did then what was their response? If they didn't then I am really surprised that Paypal have sided with them

I don't know if your local Trading Standards can help, was the seller a business or private individual? If they were a business then you might have a chance of getting somewhere, although I think it might depend on whether or not the item was buy it now or an auction. When I contacted the Trading Standards of a seller who never sent my goods and refused to respond to any contact, they said they couldn't help because it was an auction.

The seller did respond to the PayPal dispute but just concentrated on the fact that the listing did state that the packaging was open. They said the cartridges had not been used.

I'm not disputing the outer packaging being open. It's the fact that the cartridges are not 'new' and are not 'sealed' as stated. I don't know wny PayPal have sided with him/her or how they have even come to their decision.

It was an auction and from a private individual so, you're right, I don't think I can take this any further other than with PayPal or eBay. I have contacted my credit card company as I used a credit card through PayPal. They say they may be able to help.

So, in theory, people can list and sell used ink cartridges on eBay as 'new and unused' and then get to keep the money they make!

I suppose your credit card co can do a chargeback. I don't know if that will affect you using Paypal in future, as they may decide to freeze your account or take the amount again to pay the seller should the seller complain (so empty it out now if there's anything in it!) I can't swear to that, but it might be something they would do. Or, it might not affect your Paypal account at all. Perhaps someone with greater knowledge can shed some light on that one. That said though, I doubt you will be keen to use them again anyway!

Hello,

I recently purchased some ink cartridges on eBay. They were listed as a 'new and unused item' with the details explaining that they had been purchased in error so 'open pack' but 'cartridges still sealed in pack'.

The ink cartridges arrived and each had been used, or at least inserted into a printer enough that each seal/nozzle was pierced. The cartridges were not sealed. There was even ink on the outside of the packaging! Each cartridge had been removed from its sealed vacuum pack and had been Sellotaped back into a plastic bag. Each cartidge was missing the plastic tape that you pull off to insert, too.

I sent a message to the seller and received no response at all. I raised a dispute with PayPal and they have said that the items were 'as described' and have sided with the seller. Even though the listing states that the items are 'new and unused'.

PayPal won't accept photographs as evidence which seems like the key part?! I took photos straight away when the cartridges arrived showing the pierced nozzles.

It all just seems ridiculous. We have received a useless item.

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks,

Helen[/quote

Hi Helen,

You are right they were not as described and you should get your money back, you just have to keep contacting them, I'm sure it depends on the person you get at the time, good luck.

I've had my account suspended and I've been contacting them about it, it all started when I listed this iphone for this company who had issues on there ebay account they linked mine to theres so ebay suspended my account without any warning, I've been in costant contact about this even sending a letter all the transcripts to a number of departments but still they won't reinstate my account, and have run up my phone bill they owe me at least £50 in phone calls back and forth to paypal and ebay but they have not sent a reply it has been going on since January of this year.

I don't know what else I can do they seem to be above the law and can treat people as they seem fit to do there is no customer service to speak of they don't sort anything out people should stop signing up with them then they will treat people better but until that happens they do as they please.

I'm now looking at another site Ebid they have been going as long as ebay and they a lot more traffice now than they used to