When Does It Become Theft?

zantos
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4686 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife sent a signed form provided by her new bank Halifax/BOS to Santander to transfer her current account over. After about ten days she could no longer access the Santander account and so presumed it was in the process of being moved over. About four days later with no apparent action she phoned Santander who couldn't tell her anything as her account was closed and told her to go to a local branch with some ID. At the branch she was given a printout that showed her account had been closed and the proceeds put in a "holding account" four days earlier, the excuse being that she had sent in the form and not submitted it in person to a Santander branch. Upon asking for the proceeds in the form of a cheque she was told they couldn't do that but would transfer it to the Halifax account within 24 hours (not done as yet). Is this tantamount to theft in that the transfer to a "holding account" that she had no online access to and had not authorised was in fact "depriving her of access to her money" which I believe is a definition of theft? The request in branch SHOULD have enabled a cheque to be drawn but was not complied with thus further depriving her of access. I would appreciate any thoughts on whether there is in fact a case to persue here.