Employment/Work and asscioated benefits woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3007 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That was a brilliant email zararh. Well done. I don't think they would be construed as sacking you as you made your intention clear in the text, albeit that is accepted as not being a recognisable method of communicating such an action. It seems to me that all he has done is formalise it in to a manner that is acceptable. The condition he imposed would require you to take urgent action if he had in fact got it wrong.

This was sent to director of the company? He urges you to go to the grievance procedure. How do you feel about that?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my final wage today. But its wrong unsuprisingly. They've paid me for the 4 hours i worked and 4 hours holiday when it should be ten days so im missing 16 hours.They deffo do it on purpose.grrr :mad2::mad2:

Edited by Hacked_Off

I got my payslips they didnt pay me for any holidays the extra was my tax. i sent this to the owner:

Yesterday i sent my brother into bleep bleep to pick up my payslips. I wont go in myself i dont need the stress. My brother was told by bleep bleep "she's stupid , what does she want her payslips for? just check the bank" he was stood on the shop floor with a mouth full of chewy and on his phone. I left a £15 umbrella in the canteen on top of the lockers. My brother was told its not there so it's been binned or robbed.

Also i didn't get paid for my holidays...

He said:

Thank you for your email.

I will pass it onto the Area Manager for the store.

I also got these:

Thank you for your email to enquiries.

I understand that we are already engaged in a situation with you regarding your employment and are to date still waiting for you to confirm what your intentions are with respect to your employment and the incident on Tuesday 14th September 2010.

Before I respond to your email regarding the store and its activities, please confirm by return email what your intentions are and we will endeavour to process accordingly. Please be assured that you will be paid exactly what you are entitled to upon receipt of this confirmation.

With kind regards,

Human Resources Manager

And then

Dear bleep,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I confirm receipt of your intention to leave your employment on 14th September 2010 and will inform central payroll and Area Manager, bleep bleep of this information.

I would like to clarify that you will receive payment for accrued and untaken annual leave up to and including 14th September 2010 on Friday 1st October 2010. A company payment in lieu of notice is not applicable in these circumstances.

With kind regards

Edited by Hacked_Off

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Any advice appriciated. I have two jobs. I get £177.90 a fortnight from 1 job , i get taxed £45 each fortnight on this. For my second job i get £90 every Friday , my tax on this is £18.00 each week. Neither are taking any NI? Im not entirely convinced my tax is correct either :|

Hi Zara. This does sound a bit odd and we may need to ask you more about the exact figures. I don't claim to be a payroll guru, but it's unusual for someone to pay tax and not NI, so I think you're right to be concerned. I'll attach what directgov says below. Bear in mind though that they're talking about the pre-tax figures for earnings. Are you saying you earn £177.90 before tax or after, please?

My best, HB

Money, tax and benefits

dg_4009242.jpg

dg_171634.gifEmployee tax and National Insurance

dg_4016175.jpg

If you're employed you pay tax on your wages through a system called PAYE (Pay As You Earn). Your employer uses this system to deduct Income Tax and National Insurance contributions from your wages before they pay you.

Gross and net salary

The amount you earn before tax and National Insurance are deducted is your 'gross salary'. The amount you get after tax and National Insurance has been deducted is your 'net salary'. When you get a payslip, you'll see:

• the gross salary you've earned including any bonuses
  • how much Income Tax has been deducted
  • any National Insurance contributions that have been deducted
  • any student loan repayments, if relevant
  • your take home pay, or the net salary you've actually received

As well as being taxed on your pay, you're also taxed on benefits your employer provides, such as a company car, fuel, a low interest loan or medical insurance.

Income Tax

Income Tax is your contribution to government spending on things like transport, health and education. How much you pay depends on how much you earn.

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) gives you a tax code, which you'll see on your payslip. Your employer uses your tax code to work out how much Income Tax to take off your wages through the PAYE system.

At the end of each tax year your employer will give you a form - your P60 end of year certificate - showing your total gross pay for the year and how much tax you've paid.

National Insurance contributions

You pay National Insurance contributions to build up your entitlement to a State Pension and other social security benefits. How much you pay depends on how much you earn. If you earn over a certain amount, your employer deducts Class 1 National Insurance contributions from your wages through the PAYE system.

You pay a lower rate of National Insurance contributions if you’re a member of your employer’s ‘contracted-out’ pension scheme, or you’re a married woman – or widow – who holds a valid ‘election certificate’.

Your employer also pays employer National Insurance contributions based on your earnings and on any benefits you get with your job for example a company car.

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) keeps track of your contributions through your National Insurance number. This is like an account number and is unique to you.

How much can you earn without paying tax and National Insurance?

Income Tax

Everyone can earn a certain amount each year without paying any Income Tax. This is called your Personal Allowance. In 2010-11 the Personal Allowance is £6,475. Some people can earn a bit more before they start paying tax, if they're over 65, for example.

There are a number of other allowances and reliefs you may be able to claim to reduce your tax bill - and in some cases mean you’ve no tax to pay. Follow the last two links to find out more.

National Insurance

You can earn up to £110 a week (2010-11) before you pay any National Insurance contributions. This is known as the 'primary threshold'.

However, as long as you earn more than £97 a week (2010-11) you can still build up your entitlement to a State Pension and certain other benefits. This is known as the 'lower earnings limit'.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you for that Zara. So, you are over the limit for paying NI because that is from £110 a week, so £440 in a 28 day month say, or £5,720 per annum.

The tax threshold is £6475 pa before you pay any.

Your earnings are £8568 per annum before tax, so you are liable for tax and NI, the question is how much. I wish we had a payroll type around at the moment, but I don't think we do. Do you have an approachable payroll person you can talk to? And are you sure they've shown your deductions right on your payslip and not lumped tax and NI together?

If you can't find someone in payroll and that is probably the best person to help you, if no-one on the forum can do the maths, I'll have a go later.

My best, HB

Honeybee, you are incorrect.

National Insurance is not agregated across employments - the lower limit applies to each spearate employment. So in this case Zararh is earning £90 pw from one job - below the lower limit & £177 per fortnight from the other, again below the lower limit.

Zararh, you may want to make enquiries about paying voluntary contributions to your NI record.

As regards the tax, there is something wrong with this - on your total income you should be liable for tax on about £2100 per anum @20% ie about £8 per week in TOTAL. The easiste thing is to find your nearest HMRC enquiry centre & arrange to go in there to get things sorted out. Also, with the level of your income 2 other things occur to me - firstly are you getting paid at least NAtional Minimum Wage and secondly are you entitled to income based TAx Credits? Again HMRC enquiry centre could help you with this.

Elmosouth

Well, the tax office might actually get you the right answer. I don't suppose your boss understands it either. Not all that many people have two jobs, so people don't know the rules like I didn't.

But he isn't a payroll person. Are you sure there's no-one on site or at Head Office say, that you could speak to?

Keep us posted if you still have problems.

My best, HB

well,been the tax office. I shoudn't of bothered. I would of been better of standing outside with a sign "Will do anything for my correct tax code".

As soon as i went in i knew there would be no point. It was the idiot i saw last time. This was the same one i saw 3 times last time and took 3 years of fighting to get it sorted. He spoke to me REALLY slow like i was an idiot. He was typing with one finger so slow he may aswell of just stopped. He then sat there for 20 min writing what was on the screen. I had to show him my id twice. he asked for my address 4 times. I had to tell him 7 times ive left tj morris. he told me they dont deal with this sort of thing in the office and i have to use the phone. I told him i did use the phone yesterday and they told me to mke an appointment. The girl on the desk told me to make an appointment. He then fiddled with the computer for 15 min and basically said i cant help you bye. He then very nicely ave me there website leaflet. He said its up to my employer to sort my national insurance. My employer says its up to them.

I'd love to know what im supposed to do. LAst time i was on emergancy tax for 1 1/2 years. this took 3 years to fix.

Edited by Hacked_Off

Honeybee, you are incorrect.

National Insurance is not agregated across employments - the lower limit applies to each spearate employment. So in this case Zararh is earning £90 pw from one job - below the lower limit & £177 per fortnight from the other, again below the lower limit.

Zararh, you may want to make enquiries about paying voluntary contributions to your NI record.

As regards the tax, there is something wrong with this - on your total income you should be liable for tax on about £2100 per anum @20% ie about £8 per week in TOTAL. The easiste thing is to find your nearest HMRC enquiry centre & arrange to go in there to get things sorted out. Also, with the level of your income 2 other things occur to me - firstly are you getting paid at least NAtional Minimum Wage and secondly are you entitled to income based TAx Credits? Again HMRC enquiry centre could help you with this.

Elmosouth

Sorry i only just noticed this. Yes i get Working Tax Credits. One of my jobs is just over MW the other is bang on. Ive had a look at voluntary NI apparanlty theres a flat rate of 12.50 per week. thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

A few people at work recently have been off sick. While they have been off they have not been paid. When they ring our boss they are told its a new company policy that if you are off you do not get paid instead you ge tpaid the day you come back to work. Surely this isnt legal? What can we do about it?:mad2:

any changes to the original contract especially involving this need to have been made publicly aware to the employees and a period of time given before it becomes actively usable.

ask your manager how he publicised it and what date you were made aware of it.

in my employment we had to sign receipt of updated terms and conditions handbooks and given a month to check through the ins-outs and then a month later sign to say we had adequate time to read and question any concerns and by goodwill they would say terms not applicable for a further month settling in period

this was standard practice even when no major changes occured

did your employer ever just 'in their words' give staff a employee handbook containing term and conditions over a month ->years ago and say mondane words like 'um some have lost their copies so here is one for everyone'

ask when did their sick policy kick in

and reply with these dates to aid a full answer from the lovely people of this forum

Edited by meekmeek

Zara, this is what directgov says about SSP, if it helps. I'm a bit confused about the bit on being paid the day you get back from being sick. How does that work please?

Who can get Statutory Sick Pay

If you're working for an employer under a contract of service (even if you've only just started and you have done some work), you're entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if the following apply:

• you're sick for at least four days in a row (including weekends and bank holidays and days that you do not normally work)
  • you have average weekly earnings of at least £97 a week

Your average weekly earnings are worked out by using your earnings in the eight weeks before your sickness began. Please read 'SSP – how it's worked out and what days you'll be paid for' for more information about this.

How to get Statutory Sick Pay

To get SSP you must:

• tell your employer that you are sick
  • if asked by your employer, provide some form of medical evidence, from the eighth day of your illness

Please read 'SSP - telling your employer you are sick and providing evidence' for more information.

My best, HB

Edited by honeybee13
Forgot the link, sorry.