Mortgage accounts fall outside scope of DPA!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6590 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is the second of two posts on my reply from Bristol and West (which is shown in full on my progress thread):

This is part of their reply to the standard DPA request:

"....you have specifically requested information that relates to the transaction and conduct of the mortgage account which unfortunately falls outside the scope of personal data under a "Data Subject Access Request", as defined by the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998."

Any thoughts?

Alan, Derby, UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.

Thank you for your very succinct reply. I thought that would be the case, and I am therefore taking it that they have refused my request and going to the next stage.

Alan, Derby, UK.

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Nat West tried to pull a similar stunt on me. I complained to the IC (who is currently investiagting) and have sued them for an estimated amount. I wouldn't necesarily recommend doing this as my account was quite small and at serious risk of becoming statute barred.

This is the route we have decided to take, although ours is a large claim. My estimate is that charges over 6 years come to about £7,000 - although some of this could be challenged because of legal fees and manual intervention

The claim will be for £4,800 which I believe will be very difficult for them to challenge - especially when we bring up their obstruction, the fact that they have ignored a previous complaint, and their actions in breach of the Mortgage Code.

As we only owe £5350 on the mortgage, by the time court costs are taken into consideration, any settlement would be close enough to mean we could finally take full possession of our house. :)

Alan, Derby, UK.

Thanks very much, I would certainly appreciate you comments. I have looked at the case and I am afraid my brain cannot disassemble the legal language.

Alan, Derby, UK.

• 1 month later...

Total rubbish! DPA applies to any data which identifies a person and extends to cover the disclosure of the processing purposes of that data (eg. logic behind automated decisions such as credit scoring)

Mortgage are not specifically exempted from the DPA - they should be providing you with all the data they hold related to you with no arguments!

Not sure who you should report this non-comliance to - I'm sure someone else will be along soon who knows....

All advice is offered in good faith based on my own research and understanding of the laws involved, however I'm not a lawyer!

Please dont rely on annoymous advice posted on a public forum without checking it out for yourself first!

Sorry, this thread was from about five weeks ago and the issue has been addressed fully. Bristol & West had tried to claim that the DPA did not apply to mortgage information. When challenged they backed down - the case is documented in my Bristo & West Thread.

Having said that, the data they subsequently sent is missing loads of information and it looks likely that a County Court Action will have to be taken against them under section 7 DPA.

Closing this thread now, to avoid any further confusion.

Alan, Derby, UK.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6590 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks