Palicomp warranty

JonDylan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4286 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The one we are looking at the moment already comes with an advanced cooler, they have told us that the stock heatsink wouldn't be good enough on a high overclock, but would be fine for just a small overclock. But the way I see it - as this is a cheap PC, and the capability is there to make it perform like a much more expensive PC, you may as well take the option. They reacon about 25% increase in speed for an overclocked i3 up to 4.4Ghz. Do you think this is possible?

Regarding the backup, we are going to move files around with a flash pen. Don't really want to start opening the PC up and moving the hard drive etc, think that's a bit beyond us. I was hoping there would be a way to move across all the programs she has on there. But if its just a case of downloading them again from the internet, all we need to is make a note of the websites and go on the new PC and they download them. She's a bit worried about her printer as that's quite old and I have read that Windows7 has some issues with drivers for older printers, is that the case, or is there like a general driver that you can use. I think when mine arrived all the drivers were installed automatically as part of the Windows setup etc. But we did Windows updates and they found loads of files and did them all in a matter of minutes.

As I purchased my PC from Palicomp, we were going to go there for this one too, and they seem to offer a higher overclock that anywhere else, they can go upto 4.4Ghz whereas most only go to 4Ghz. Would this make a big difference? and is it a safe speed? Also do you know of any other really good deals online for PC in our price bracket. Obviously the more power she can get for the money the better.

I have to be honest a few weeks ago I knew hardly anything about PCs, but I've done so much research lately I feel like I'm beginning to become an expert, but of course I'm not lol. There is so much information out there I cant believe how some people know so much!

You are however falling into a trap that many do. Processor speed is not "the be all and end all". If you're running Windows 7 as I believe you probably are, right click your "computer" on the start menu, and go to properties. you will see your "Windows Experience Index" If you click this it gives you how your computer performs in different regions. Now, my system has these scores :-

wei.jpg

so the slowest thing in my PC is the hard drive. Other than that all is pretty balanced, and playing games the "hold up" would be my graphics card, and booting up the system or software, the "hold up" would be my hard drive.

Now as I see it, the hard drive you have to spend a fortune to get that faster, and there is no easy overclocking option, so for general use a cheep PC is probably best.

I cannot comment on what palicomp do by the way of choosing the parts they build their PC's with, but if I ran an "overclocking PC's" business I'd buy a motherboard that you have a lot of control over the voltages and speeds, and also high quality cooling products and memory capable of higher speeds and a graphics card that is 1 overclockable and 2 can be integrated into the system cooling... all this costs more so you may aswell save that cash on a none-gaming system.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I would definitely echo what Locutus says; although processor speed is important in a PC, just as a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, a computer is only as fast as its slowest key component. The hard disk transfer rate example from Locutus' Windows Experience Index is a good one - if an application needs to read/write data from/to a relatively slow hard disk drive it will slow the system down as everything else will have to wait for it to finish.

The extent of the effect will depend on the application in question, but it shouldn't be underestimated (although unless you really need the performance you probably won't notice unless you have a spectacularly awful component holding things up, which is unlikely to happen, particularly if you've used a decent assembler). It's manufacturers like Palicomp's job to eliminate these kind of bottlenecks from their computers, and it's something they need to do well if they're to have any chance of winning the awards they put their machines up for.

Can also second the suggestion of using Open Office; it has come on leaps and bounds since its early incarnations, is a really good alternative to MS Office and in my experience the compatibility with the various MS file types is perfect. I actually use it in preference to MS Office now as I find there is less distracting junk included with it, but it's horses for courses.

Know what you mean about the research, Saz. The things you can learn about computing and overclocking on the internet are practically endless, and luckily there are a lot of very clever, knowledgeable people on forums willing to take the time to help you out and give you the benefit of their advice (I definitely wouldn't include myself anywhere near that bracket - a beginner really - but will try to assist in the limited capacity that I can).

Re: the overclock on my machine, it is running like a dream thanks. It was actually supplied by Palicomp running at 4.7GHz, which was the maximum advertised speed for my particular model. They do supply faster machines (up to 5GHz when last I checked) but you do pay quite a lot more for the privilege - whereas mine cost around £1,500, the most expensive on the site is well over £4,000. Maybe when I win the lottery :D

BTW my computer at 2 years old still runs most games quite well, however the genres that interest me are flight sims and strategy, so not very demanding. I don't like many FPS or driving games and they seem to be the most demanding ones, I cannot comment on how it'd run Crysis / Crysis2, as the game does not interest me.

My morbid curiosity has got the better of me, and I know it will depress me when I read it because the system is not mine :p. What is your computers WEI JonDylan?

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

The WEI is pretty much maxed out apart from the primary hard disk score, which is a fair bit lower, though I gather this is usually the biggest drag factor. I guess if I wanted to increase the overall score I would need to get a top-of-the-line SSD , but I don't think it it would be worth the extra money upgrading from the Kingston 64GB SSDNow V+100, which is plenty good enough for me. The scores when I ran the test were:

Processor – 7.9

RAM – 7.8

Graphics – 7.9

Gaming Graphics – 7.9

Primary Hard Drive – 6.5

Overall – 6.5

It would be a nice ego boost to get that overall number up, and Palicomp do offer some nice SSD upgrades that would probably do it, but as the existing SSD isn't as much of a drag factor as the WEI would suggest I think I'll leave it. I'll have to console myself by thinking that the processor scores etc are actually likely to be off the chart :-D

I know what you mean about different genres and not upgrading because the machine is still running what you want to play quite happily. I do like to spend inordinate amounts of time playing things like Civilization and Football Manager, which aren't very demanding (apart from on my social life), but I do also like shooters and driving games, and there's nothing like cranking them up to maximum settings and enjoying a silky smooth frame rate. I used to have to play things like that on my Xbox 360, but as good as the Xbox Live service is, for FPS games I much prefer the accuracy of keyboard and mouse - hate trying to aim with an analogue stick. PC gamers also seem in general to be a little more mature than some of the abusive little squirts that occupy Xbox Live too, but that's another story...

Yeah :) Microsoft beta tested a FPS that was on PC and Xbox 360. The PC players slaughtered the 360 players every time. (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/256749/pc-gamers-thrash-console-gamers-and-microsoft-knows-it-says-voodoo-man/)

SSD was prohibitively expensive when I built my system, so I raided 2 500gig 7200spin hard drives each with 32 meg cache. A single "standard" hard drive only gets about 4.5 on the WEI, so my 5.9 is not 2 bad, and as you said, from a gamers point of view, not that needed.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting article that, Locutus. Sounds about right to me :) I did try playing Halo on the original Xbox, but being used to playing FPS games on the PC I was underwhelmed to say the least - couldn't understand why a bog standard shooter with a rubbish control system (the fault of being played on a pad rather than the developers) was so wildly popular. I guess it's because it was the first half-decent FPS on a console, but it still felt like a massive step down - I'd just finished playing the original Max Payne game on the PC if I recall, with all its bullet-time effects and (comparatively) high resolution textures.

Saz - how did you get on with your PC from Palicomp? And did you manage to get something suitable sorted for your neighbour in the end? Always good to hear how things turned out :)

Hi,

I'm glad to say my PC has been running without any problems. It doesn't exactly get stressed too much as Halo and games like that are far beyond what we use it for at the moment.

I do have an update re the overclock situation I had. I contacted Palicomp tech support, and they talked me through setting up in the BIOS a dual profile. So now when I boot up the PC I can select my PC to run at its standard speed, or I can select a different profile and have it run in overclock mode. I must say I cant really notice the difference, but at least the feature is the for future. I'm sure in the next few years we will be throwing some more intensive programs at it, and the overclock option may then come in handy. But at the moment its happily ticking over and does everything I need to do with ease.

Regarding my neighbour, yes she purchased a cheaper PC from Palicomp which was an overclocked i5 CPU, but the old ones not the sandybridge. And I must say its amazing how there's not that much difference in everyday speed between our 2 PCs.

Do you think the main advantage I've got is that in a few years my PC will still be a good all round spec whereas the non sandybridge PCs will be much slower?

I'm also after a good quality inkjet printer, Palicomp don't sell them - I asked them when they setup my overclock, and I want one that I can get cheap inks to replace, as the branded ones are very expensive, anybody have any thoughts on what I can get and how much I need to pay? I've seen a few of them on http://www.ebuyer.com but there's so many to choose from and I don't know which ones will have cheap ink compatible cartridges? Ive also found a review section on PC PRO http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/inkjet-printers and theres also some cheap printers on ebay at the moment.

Any help would be much appreciated as you guys seem to know much more than me about PCs and stuff - with all your numbers and scores you are talking about! lol

Sandybridge refers to the processor family. The I5 processors take a lot of the processing of graphics away from the graphics card, so playing games you really would notice the difference with your overclocked system, other than that there is not a great deal between the 2 systems. The "K" on the processor model number relates to it being overclockable rather than being "locked" at the set speed.

To compare your systems, right click on "computer" and select properties. View the Windows Experience Index (WEI) on both systems and compare the numbers.

Printer inks are the key to buying a "CHEAP" printer, and the unbranded inks can be a lot lower quality. Your printouts can fade over time. Kodak are the cheapest inks from the manufacturer. This one from Amazon looks good enough and cheap, with running costs kept pretty low. If you would prefer to use unbranded inks, then this one also from Amazon looks about as cheap as you can get it!

Edited by locutus

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 1 month later...

Hi Jon. How are you finding your machine you bought from Palicomp? I've also been looking at the Phoenix Hydro-X and came across this thread when I was searching for reviews. From what I can gather you seem rather pleased with it, but updates are always good. Are you still as happy with the system, and have there been any surprises with it (either good or bad)? What has the aftercare from Palicomp been like? I hadn't really considered the warranty situation, but it's an interesting argument and I suppose the cost of transit could mount up. Did you ever ask them about it to confirm either way?

Ta

• 1 month later...

Hi JJ,

Sorry for not coming back to you sooner. I saw the notification of your post and thought "I'll reply to that later", only to completely forget about it (brain like a sieve I'm afraid).

Yes, I'm still very happy with the Hydro-X. If anything the system has exceeded my expectations; it's still lightning quick and running fairly cool and quiet for an overclocked PC. I don't think there have been any particular drawbacks or negatives with it. The usual thing for me when I get a PC is deleting all the rubbish and bloatware off it, but it's not something I've had to do as the Palicomp install was nice and clean from the get go.

I never fully confirmed the details of the warranty before I ordered as I was convinced that the law would've been on my side in the event of any issues, so it seemed a bit pointless to rock the boat and start an argument when nothing had actually happened. *Touch wood* but it has been a bit of a moot point anyway, as I haven't had any problems with the machine and with how well it is operating I'm not especially anticipating any. Having spoken to some people about the quote I got, I believe that it would be possible to get a much cheaper courier service than the one I found, so that may provide some further reassure.

Hope that helps and if you want to know anything specific then just let me know.

Cheers,

Jon

• 1 month later...

Ta Jon. I went for the Hydro-X in the end and it is a beast. I’m not sure if it’s exactly the same spec as yours as when I ordered it Palicomp mentioned that they had just upgraded a few things on it, but it runs like a dream. Nothing I have tried on it so far has bothered it in the slightest, and that’s with all the settings turned up full. It laughs in the face of Skyrim on max settings and with several mod packs installed, so I think it should do me for a good for a few years.

I spoke to Palicomp about the warranty and they told me that if there was a problem with the machine that they would take care of everything, so I’m not really worried on that front.

Thanks for your help anyway. Happy gaming.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I'm having a little issue with my PC from Palicomp and was wondering if anyone here can help me. Its only something easy I bet, but don't wanna ring them up and feel like a fool. Basically my wireless keyboard and mouse set decided to stop working the other day, and I've had to go back to using my USB keyboard set from and old PC. There's a button on the underneath of the keyboard but pressing this didn't make it reconnect, tried new battery's - still the same. Any ideas?

Right you've done everything I would have, except aswell as the button underneath the keyboard and mouse, there is normally one on the wireless receiver aswell.

Normal way to sync them together is press the sync button on the receiver, then press the sync button on the keyboard, then press the sync button on the mouse.

If that fails, then contact palicomp. A friend of mine ordered a PC from them, and he received excellent advice from palicomp and he said they were very friendly and actually showed they appreciated his custom. They refunded some of his money because the speakers that came with his computer were out of stock... but he was linking his PC through his HiFi anyway... they gave him advice on how to do that, and a small discount for them not sending the speakers. (plus they asked him to thank me for recommending them to him).

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds promising customer service wise. It echoes my experience of them so far really - they seem to know their stuff and have been more than willing to spend their time helping me with any little niggles or questions during the ordering process. Always good to hear that others are getting good service though - with a lot of companies it depends who you speak to as to how helpful they are.

Saz - as Locutus says, there should be a little button on your receiver (connected to the actual computer itself) if it's like mine. If you press it the light should blink and it'll try to reconnect with your wireless devices. It's also worth checking whether the receiver is properly plugged into the computer's USB port - it can be easy for them to come out if cables have been pulled or the computer has been moved about. If you still can't get it working I'm sure Palicomp can sort it for you.

• 5 months later...

Im quite relieved to hear that found this post after searching Palicomps warranty ive seen some negative feedback about them but it does seem pretty scarce.

In response to this overclocking thread - i only think the way to test them is by having some pretty high benchmark stuff in place im thinking about buying the alpha excite - does anyone have this PC or recommend one for smooth Battlefield 3 playing?