Court Summons - failure to pay rail fare help needed!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4740 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There are two elements in holding the record.

Firstly any rail company will normally keep on record a note that you have been given a written warning and were allowed to settle the matter in case your name comes up again and secondly, because there is a payment involved, there will be a need for them to hold an accountancy record for 7 years in accordance with HM government tax rules.

I see, not that it bothers me I settled out of court at a relatively cheap cost and will have no conviction or record which will not affect me in the future. Lesson learnt though, should this incident ever happen again , I now know to get some form of written statement before boarding :)

I see, not that it bothers me I settled out of court at a relatively cheap cost and will have no conviction or record which will not affect me in the future. Lesson learnt though, should this incident ever happen again , I now know to get some form of written statement before boarding :)

Or you could buy a ticket and avoid the hassle completely :). Is it really worth risking your career for? You need to keep a low profile for 7 years, if I understand what's been said.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Or you could buy a ticket and avoid the hassle completely :)

My intention is always to buy a ticket where possible, I put this down to an unfortunate incident. I am sure I can keep a low profile for the next 7 years .. hopefully

Instinct suggests that unless you can obtain a statement from a member of rail staff who authorised your ticketless travel, your version wouldbe seen as 'not credible'.

I have to admit that until the originating station was revealed to be Sheffield (at which I BLINKED!!!) I thought the OP had a good case. But a) it is almost beyond belief that there were no means of cash-purchases at almost any time of day, and b) it is equally incredible that a staff member would even give the authority claimed. At a small station, with limited facilites, staff, and rail services- yes, probably. But at Sheffield....?!

...Still blinking at this one :!::smile:

On edit: Just read the ending... good result... unexpected... I thought they'd view you as a LYING BASKET and tell you to road-haul your horse manure to Number One Court :lol: Well done though!

Edited by Grotesque

Yes, exactly why I so often labour the need for a 'bit more info please...'

I deal with these sort of matters every day and have done for much of my working life.

It think is always necessary to have the fullest details before trying to offer any suggestions, it saves being made to look silly at a later date.

I have to admit that until the originating station was revealed to be Sheffield (at which I BLINKED!!!) I thought the OP had a good case. But a) it is almost beyond belief that there were no means of cash-purchases at almost any time of day, and b) it is equally incredible that a staff member would even give the authority claimed. At a small station, with limited facilites, staff, and rail services- yes, probably. But at Sheffield....?!

I never siad that there were no cash services, there were two machines to the left as you walk into sheffield - one accepting cash and card and the other card only. The cash and card machine flashing yellow indicating it was only accepting card payments.

please bear in mind this was at peak times and the queues can tend to get really long everyday and at that time there were not many ticket windows that were open. What I was mainly disputing is that I was given permission to board the train and so did not breach any conditions of the Byelaw.

Also, if you ask someone who works there then you would expect to be given the right information and advice - If i was required to have a ticket prior to being on the train then I would expect to be told that and maybe things would have gone down a different route nevertheless it has happened and nothing I can do about it.