shoplifting laws?

angeuk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6461 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

An unusual problem, not normally covered, but I'm wondering what my rights are.

Yesterday I was shopping at Sainsburys, paid for my goods, then noticed what I thought was a discrepancy on the receipt.

So I went back behind the till area to ask the till supervisor about it. I took her back up the aisle where I got the goods to point out an 'offer'. I was mistaken, made an embarrased apology, and went towards the door. I hadn't packed my shopping away at this point.

To further my embarrasment, I was stopped inside the front door by a member of staff wanting to see my receipt.

I was under the impression that a) a member of staff had to see you actually stealing goods before they can stop you, and b) they can only stop you outside the store.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks :)

You are correct, you need to have actually left the store, otherwise you could argue that you did not intend to permanently deprive the store of the goods.

Asking to see your receipt is not accusing you of shoplifting however, or did they do this too?

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Hi all,

An unusual problem, not normally covered, but I'm wondering what my rights are.

Yesterday I was shopping at Sainsburys, paid for my goods, then noticed what I thought was a discrepancy on the receipt.

So I went back behind the till area to ask the till supervisor about it. I took her back up the aisle where I got the goods to point out an 'offer'. I was mistaken, made an embarrased apology, and went towards the door. I hadn't packed my shopping away at this point.

To further my embarrasment, I was stopped inside the front door by a member of staff wanting to see my receipt.

I was under the impression that a) a member of staff had to see you actually stealing goods before they can stop you, and b) they can only stop you outside the store.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks :)

as far as i am aware this is true.

Hagenuk: No, they didn't accuse me of shoplifting, just asked if I had a receipt. They didn't actually look at it, I just had it in my hand anyway.

I'm pretty sure they have to see you take an item without paying for it before they can stop you. Problem is, in this branch, if you do your shopping, you still need to go back inside the front entrance to the shop to buy magazines or tobacco, but I've never seen anyone stopped before.

So I take it they have rules about how they'd like your shopping bagged and wrapped before you go back in to buy a paper :)

Well most of the comments are true, yes you must be seen to conceal good on you and that indvual must be sure they are still on you up to the point of payment,by either a member of staff, security or even the pubic. if you pass that point f payment with no itention of paying for the good you can b stoped in store. you can also be stoped in the storeif your action area of a VERY suspicous nature, hard to prove unless you,ve been caught on camrea. but that's another mind field (DPA stuff)

james

If they had stopped you for shoplifting then the two points you mentioned are true. However, as they haven't done this I think they can stop you and ask you anything. You didn't have to show them anything and could have seen what they said. B & Q do exactly the same thing at most of their stores.

Pam.

Pam.

If anything I've said helps you then please feel free to tip my scales!

Thanks all :) The law seems a bit hazy on this, I've looked all over the net but can't find anything solid. But I have sent a letter to Sainsburys highlighting my displeasure.

In hindsight I should have refused to show them anything, then see what happened. But I was just so surprised. Plus the receipt was in my hand as I was pushing the trolley, so it was clearly seen.

Last year a security guard at the same store stopped a friend of mine, while he was in the middle of the store shopping, and said "I hope you aren't going to steal that" while he was looking at some wine!

Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised after all...

I had a freind who worked at Makro for a short time, They say that when they check the customers leaving the premises they are also checking the honesty of their staff.. Eg I go in and friend dosn't scan all goods etc...

Needless to say my friend no longer works under those conditions..

Not trusting Customers is one thing but Not trusting your own staff ??

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

angeuk, you and your frined must look dodgy!! lol

only joking! it is embarrasing though.

lisaxx

if i have helped you at all click please the scales on top right!

ABBEY

11/4 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) SENT OFF

1/6 LBA SENT

22/7 LETTER SENT REQUESTING THEM TO REFUND CHARGES

15/7 STATEMENTS RECEIVED (ALL 6 YEARS WORTH)

20/7 CLAIM ISSUES IN OLDHAM COUNTY COURT.

8/8 CLAIM ACKNOWLEDGED GIVING THEM TILL 21/8.......

SETTLED IN FULL!!!!!!!

T MOBILE i won!

16/6 Data Protection Act SENT OFF

5/8 t mobile have failed to comply with the Data Protection Act/S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) reques ....BRING IT ON BABY!!

7/8 LBE SENT GIVING THEM 7 DAYS TO COUGH UP MY CASH

7/9 FULL REFUND BEEN SENT!!

Not trusting Customers is one thing but Not trusting your own staff ??
I trust my customers more then my staff the only people who have ever stolen from me are staff.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok its not that straight forward. You can actually leave a shop without paying for goods (not that Im recomending anything here guys), but to be convicted of shoplifting the mag (or jury if its got that far) has to be convinced that there was the intention to comit a crime. ie steal the goods.

Thats why most people get prosecuted for concealment not theft!

So for example if your child pulls something off a shelf and you get stoped after you left the shop, the law is on your side as it was a genuine accident (although I am aware some people have been used their kids for this very reason).

I work with a lot of people who are in court for this very thing

Allyxia

KEEP FIGHTING FOR YOUR MONEY - EVEN WHEN IT GETS TOUGH

The Banks are somewhere which lends you an umberella when it is sunny, and takes it away when it rains

HSBC £1200 - Settled in Full

Cap 1 2 X £100 - Settled in Full

Nationwide £1641 - Settled in Full inc Default and CCJ Removed by Court Order

NatWest £2215.60- Settled in Full and Removed Default Natice

Woolwich £3690 - Settled in Full

Thanks all. And I don't think I look dodgy :) Well...

I'm going to have a word with the manager today, probably going to offer me a few vouchers so I don't cause a fuss.

I don't mind that, just as long as it makes them think about why they are stopping people.

I know the guy who stopped me once made a little old lady move on because she took a trolley to the tobacco counter. Poor old biddy was clinging on to her trolley so she could move without using her stick. I'd like to see him get a dressing down.

Cheers everyone.