Items damaged by council contractors

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3925 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My council fitted a boiler and damaged a lot of my items. All 3 damaged items were purchased recently (26/10/2010, 15/12/2010 and 26/03/2011) and so haven't really depreciated in value. 2 of the items are no longer available for sale (one company was bought out, but the same item is still available for sale, just with the new brand name) and the other company has discontinued the colour I bought. Am I right in assuming when writing my letter to claim cost of replacement, I can request an alternative item (only in the case of the discontinued items) for the same, or a lower value?

The items are still working, but are now horribly scratched and dented, which, for such new items, is unacceptable in my view, especially as it was all down to the contractor's negligence.

Also, how is the best way to go about this?

Edited by MamaMoo

My council fitted a boiler and damaged a lot of my items. All 3 damaged items were purchased recently (26/10/2010, 15/12/2010 and 26/03/2011) and so haven't really depreciated in value. 2 of the items are no longer available for sale (one company was bought out, but the same item is still available for sale, just with the new brand name) and the other company has discontinued the colour I bought. Am I right in assuming when writing my letter to claim cost of replacement, I can request an alternative item (only in the case of the discontinued items) for the same, or a lower value?

The items are still working, but are now horribly scratched and dented, which, for such new items, is unacceptable in my view, especially as it was all down to the contractor's negligence, and prior to this they were in pristine condition.

Also, how is the best way to go about this?

Should I request the value of the items new, or a percentage of the value new? If requesting a %, what % is appropriate?

I was in a similar situation & I billed the electrical contractor for the replacement of the goods. He paid up without a problem because although he had public liability insurance it was cheaper to pay 'out of pocket' rather than through his insurance.

Also report the incident to your council.

I was in a similar situation & I billed the electrical contractor for the replacement of the goods. He paid up without a problem because although he had public liability insurance it was cheaper to pay 'out of pocket' rather than through his insurance.

Also report the incident to your council.

Just out of curiosity, could you tell me what your items were and how were they damaged (was it just cosmetic, or were they broken completely) and also what was the value.

Mine is a severely dented £700 fridge freezer (9 weeks old) a £200 fitted hob, which is now badly scratched (7 months old) and an £80 microwave, dented and scratched (5 months old) I'd post photos but I'm too new apparently :/

It was a fitted wardrobe, a tv and a bed.

They tried to move a 'fitted' wardrobe to get behind, it collapsed onto the bed & the tv which was on top was smashed against the wall.

I contacted the council as the main contractor & they told me to claim against the sub-contractor. If he hadn't of paid I would have then gone for the council. ;)

I have spoke to my Tenant Liaison Officer, who thinks that as the items are only cosmetically damaged, that they are under no obligation to replace the items, or compensate me in any way.

He is also adamant that the damage to the fridge was already there. I have a photo from 6 weeks ago showing no damage, but they say they have a photograph from before the works showing they were there, however there have been people in and out of my house with cameras, and the photo could have been taken at any point.

Is it up to me to prove that the damage was not there beforehand, or is it up to them to prove that it was (ie with a date stamped photograph)

• 2 years later...

Hi, I hope I am posting this to the correct forum. As I was moving into a new property, I felt it necessary to replace both the door locks. In the process of doing this, the engineer accidentally smashed one of the 8 glass panels of the porch. His company said that they would replace the panel but the window firm who is taking care of this said that the new panel will not match the same colour of the other 7, which is going to be most inconvenient. My question is to establish the responsibility of the company I have employed to change the locks: would it be reasonable to demand that all the panels be replaced at their expense? By shattering to pieces one panel, they have in fact caused a much greater damage and a large expense which I find it hard to meet at this point.

Thanks

Hi, I hope I am posting this to the correct forum. As I was moving into a new property, I felt it necessary to replace both the door locks. In the process of doing this, the engineer accidentally smashed one of the 8 glass panels of the porch. His company said that they would replace the panel but the window firm who is taking care of this said that the new panel will not match the same colour of the other 7, which is going to be most inconvenient. My question is to establish the responsibility of the company I have employed to change the locks: would it be reasonable to demand that all the panels be replaced at their expense? By shattering to pieces one panel, they have in fact caused a much greater damage and a large expense which I find it hard to meet at this point.

Thanks

this thread is almost 2 yrs old rob

you post wont get see here

can I suggest you start your own thread

there is a little video below to help you

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This thread is now in "General Legal Issues"

It is purely an administrative move.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D