Do you have to cancel tax when you SORN?

Emma_Lou
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4767 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I want to SORN my car for a few months. The car tax doesn't expire until October - do I have to cancel/refund the tax for these few months and then reapply or can I just keep the tax? Thank you

If you keep the car tax on the car, then there is no need to SORN. If you wish to SORN the vehicle, then by definition it would be untaxed and you would at the same time be applying for a refund of theVED already paid.

As an aside, why would you want to park the car off the road for a couple of months and NOT want a refund of the money paid to tax it?

Important point to note btw, is that if you SORN the car, it must be parked off the road on private land. You cannot SORN it then leave it parked on the street in front of your house. Remember SORN stands for Statutory OFF ROAD Notification!

Important thing to remember is that if you have a car on the road with tax, but no insurance from the 1st June 2011, expect a letter from the DVLA.

I have this with my wife's car. It's tax expires at the end of June, but it's not going to pass it's MOT and will have to wait for the work. I've also just bought another car. The wife's car is now sitting on my drive. It no longer has insurance as this was transferred to the new car. I returned the tax disk for the wife's car and declared SORN.

Thanks guys. As it will only be off the road (on my drive) for 6ish weeks (with no insurance), I can't be bothered to get a refund for just one month so wondered whether you had to return/cancel the tax disc whilst it is SORN. Hope this makes more sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem as the OP.

Upon checking the DVLA website with reguards to the new insurance rules you only have 2 choices, get it insured or declare it SORN and refund the TAX.

IMHO this is a silly , ill thought out law.

Edited by SURFBOY

hello all:-)

Here is a Government Law (DVLA inspired no doubt) that makes the Government actually give money back to motorists who otherwise would not have bothered and been happy to let the tax run its course while the car is laid up for a while.

Proof at last they are not in it for the money?