I am starting a mission against Shop Direct all customers please read

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3380 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I make it £40.87, primarily because they average 13 compound rest periods annually....... Shop Direct calculate averages at 28 days for accounting rather than monthly so the figures tend to round slightly higher.

Gez

• Confused 1

Hi Loops,

You could just ignore them as your agreement is from 93 wont come under the online agreements dates, but they will reflect this on your credit file, alternatively get a letter before action sent out for the charges from the template in the library on this site but be prepared for the long run as they will force you into legal action before they settle.

Let us know how you are ggetting on

Thanks Madcap

I'm having trouble finding the template letter you suggest, could you point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks.

If you have all the costs showing I wouldnt really worry about the non compliance, if it ever got to court you could raise the point then but I would personally concentrate on the charges claim rather than getting bogged down in court procedures.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Madcap

Just thought I'd give you an update. I have written the attached to Littlewoods:

'I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to late fees, are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I have been a loyal customer since 1993 and this is the first time I have ever been late with payments. I would have thought that I would have been given credit for my customer loyalty (18 years worth!)

I calculate that you have charged me a total of £84 over recent months of late payment fees and appear to be charging £12 at random. I have already paid £32 in charges and am not prepared to pay any more. I suggest you write off the £52 remaining as a gesture of goodwill.

Additionally, you have suggested that you may enter a default notice against my credit record. This default would be merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you and in addition to writing off the £52 I require that you do not follow this course of action.'

I sent the above 2 weeks ago and have not received a response. Today I have recived a statement and they have added a further £24 in charges. For a month! £12 for the debt collection letter they send me every fortnight and £12 for not making a payment. If they keep adding at this rate the account will be in the hundreds all in charges!

What would you advise next? I was thinking about re sending the letter by email (I didnt send the letter recorded delivery) and see what happens.

I'd be intrested to know how they think that the charges of £24 a month on a balance of £52 is 'reasonable and fair'. Its absolutley shocking that they think this is acceptable.

Be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Take them to court, don't let them have the charges you have already paid, they will ignore you for ages and then say no to your request, sue them for all charges plus statutory interest l, its the only thing S/D understand, they are the lowest of all the rats around

Hi Madcap

Just thought I'd give you an update. I have written the attached to Littlewoods:

'I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to late fees, are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I have been a loyal customer since 1993 and this is the first time I have ever been late with payments. I would have thought that I would have been given credit for my customer loyalty (18 years worth!)

I calculate that you have charged me a total of £84 over recent months of late payment fees and appear to be charging £12 at random. I have already paid £32 in charges and am not prepared to pay any more. I suggest you write off the £52 remaining as a gesture of goodwill.

Additionally, you have suggested that you may enter a default notice against my credit record. This default would be merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you and in addition to writing off the £52 I require that you do not follow this course of action.'

I sent the above 2 weeks ago and have not received a response. Today I have recived a statement and they have added a further £24 in charges. For a month! £12 for the debt collection letter they send me every fortnight and £12 for not making a payment. If they keep adding at this rate the account will be in the hundreds all in charges!

What would you advise next? I was thinking about re sending the letter by email (I didnt send the letter recorded delivery) and see what happens.

I'd be intrested to know how they think that the charges of £24 a month on a balance of £52 is 'reasonable and fair'. Its absolutley shocking that they think this is acceptable.

Be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Thanks Madcap.

Have this morning received another arrears collection letter stating that if I do not pay £26.36 immediately they will transfer my account to a Debt Collection Agency.

Think I'll be taking you advice and will take them to court. Will have to get reading up on what to do next. Thanks again. :-)

• 1 month later...

An update to my claim - advice needed. I sent a letter to Shop Direct (re Littlewoods) requesting the refund of £214 in charges. They responded 3 weeks later saying:

"It is made clear in the credit information in the back of the catalogue and the terms and conditions of your credit agreement that a charge is applied should you fail to make your miimum payment on time and as such I am satsifed that the charges applied to your account are fair and reasonable.

We are aware of the statement of the Office of Fair Trading's position regarding fair charges. As charges were applied to your account due to insufficient or missed payments, we are satisfied that the charges are justifiable in accordance with the views of the OFT and are fair within the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations."

What should I do next - shall I send an LBA or do I admit defeat with no chance of getting these charges back? Any advice appreciated.

• 4 months later...

Hi Madcap

I am also about to start a claim against them littlewoods and very about to send my sar request I have never done anything like this before so any help would be well appreciated as I really don’t know what I am doing just trying to gather as much info from this site as possible

• 2 years later...

Heres part of their bundle for court, they did an "independent" calculation of the actual costs of a default fee, according to them they are losing £7 per default fee, it really is quite laughable, they also say the cost for their staff @ £10.71 per hour (mmm think not) goes towards SAR costs, strange one that as we actually have to pay £10 to get one!

Apparently its Legally privileged and confidential - not any more!

By the way, this has gone to Court as they would not refund the only charge ever made on this account totaling £12 this is an account operated for 3 years default free even the banks and the C/C's would haver paid back one charge in 3 years.

Hideous people

By the way, this has gone to Court as they would not refund the only charge ever made on this account totaling £12 this is an account operated for 3 years default free even the banks and the C/C's would haver paid back one charge in 3 years.

Hideous people

When, what is the outcome or has the process just started ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I love the way they double account for risk. Thats what the interest rate covers no?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

• 1 month later...
In court in January, they argue the actual cost is £19, if that were true you would charge £19 as you could prove in court thats what it costs rather than take a £7 loss on every charge.

Idiots

Is there any updates on this please?

I've just sent my 1st letter to LW's asking for charges back.