Capital One & Cougar Finance

Winpark
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3678 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I'm new to this site, so I hope you can bear with me.

I have 4 credit cards and, since November 2010, have found myself in huge financial difficulties due to my partners business suffering a large bad debt.

It has left me unable to pay even the minimum payments on these cards.

I have written to them all explaining the situation, doing a income and expenditure form and sending them a copy,

I have offered them all a payment pro-rata of what I can afford to pay each month.

All have agreed apart from Capital One who constantly phoned me, even after I had written to them asking for all correspondence to be in writing.

They were phoning up to 6 times a day, sometimes as late as 9.30pm, and were even phoning me on boxing day!

I have paid them the amount that I told them I could afford, every month.

Yesterday I had a letter fron Cougar Finacial saying that they are chasing me for the debt and threatened doorstep collectors or court.

I telephoned them and explained everything, I was told to carry on paying the amount to them instead, but Capital One may still take me to court etc.

and to contact Capital One to find out why my account had been handed over.

I was told that I could have a verbal agreement with Cougar Finance, but not a writen one.

I asked for the 'gentleman's' name to which he gave his first name, but refused point blank to give me his last name.

Capital One will have nothing to do with me as it has been passed to a debt collection agency.

I am at my wits end. I am so upset by the rude and threatening way that Captal One has treated me.

I REALLY need help. I am at the end of my tether and do not know how much more I can take.

Hi and welcome.

Firstly, Have you sent a CCA request to CapOne?

Secondly, continue to do exactly as you are at the moment. Refuse to deal with the DCA - they can threaten what they like and have no legal powers as they are just CapOne's hired muscle.

Thirdly, CapOne are most unlikely to go down the legal route. They would get nowhere, and would probably be in trouble for abusing the Court process where the debtor is already maintaining payments that they can afford.

Finally - stop talking to them on the phone. Tell them 'In writing only' then put the phone down. Send the harassment letter from the templates if they persist and also inform them that you revoke any common law right for them to call on you at your home.

Use the letter templates here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?68-debt-collection-library

You've come to the right place for help, so can hopefully relax a little and start taking control of YOUR money.

• Confused 1

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hi,

How old are the cards and do you have all your statements for the accounts.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

There will be charges you can re-claim.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Send them (Capital One) a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act. It will cost £10 but they then have to release copies of all documents held and this should include copy statements. You can then claim back late payment and default charges plus contractual interest. It could add up to quite a lot and they will be really happy that they didn't treat you more sympathetically!

• Haha 1

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thank you for your help. I have sent BOTH letters today by guaranteed delivery. I will let you know when I receive the answers to both the letters and then hopefully you can let me know how to proceed?

• 1 month later...

I have received a packet from Capital One with a lot of paperwork in it. The package was damaged by royal mail. I have the 'copy' of my agreement, but it is just a short application form. No mention of APR etc on it. It also has a section about 'your right to cancel', which it says will be sent to me by post.

Is this a copy of an agreement enforcable by law?

I have been reading through the posts and have noted this one: Nationwide Credit Card Send CCA response to CPR request - Signed 'agreement' inside

Can I also use this letter?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I've been in touch with Cougar Finance for a few weeks now. I made them my pro-rata offer which they refused saying that it did not fall "within their client's parameters".

I asked what these parameters were and received no reply. However, they did send me a letter asking if I needed more time to pay.

Pay how much? When? To where?

I can see this one running and running......

• 1 month later...

I am also having trouble with capital one and cougar finance, I was of sick for 15 weeks with appendicitis which had burst, didn't think I had to be concerned with my credit card because I had ppi on it. The actual payment for my ppi claim barely covered the premiums I had paid them, as a result my card has been defaulted and I owe an awful lot of added charges and late payment fees. Can anyone advise? I have written to capital one to ask why this has happened but as of yet had no reply from them.

The PPI should have paid the mininum premium - if the charges and late payment fees are in respect of the Insurers paying late, then ask for them back. Ask for these back anyway as the charges are not enforceable :)

You will find a spread sheet in the link below.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?330996-Latest-Spreadsheets-PPI-Claims-and-Charges-Claims-Dec-2011

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D