#Employment : CRB problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Went for an interview the otherday and received the job.

The employer called me and said he would like to offer me the job, all he needs is my passport, certifcates and CRB check.

I wsas arrested around 2 years ago for being drunk or a scrap, it was one of the situations where it was the wrong place and the wrong time, any way I just for a warning.

I also was caught driving with out no insurance, worse then is sounds.

The job is for an IT technician, it involves working in school.

Can someone tell me straight if I'm def not going to get the job once the CRB arrives

We get these sort of posts quite often, and I tend to say 2 things.

1. Be honest with your potential employer.

2. Only way to find out is to submit the CRB. Look at it this way, what's the worst that can happen? You don't get the job.

I'd imagine, if you're going to be working in a school, that it would be an Enhanced CRB, which gives more detail. I'm no expert on CRB by any means, off the top of my head I'd say these matters may well show up.

Thanks for the reply, So is it a case of them seeing the CRB and turning me down or can they still give you the job.

I already have a job so Im in a better situation then others may be but this ones abit closer to home.

Was over the moon when I got the job but bit of a sucka punch when he mentioned the CRB.

As I say, CRB's aren't my area. I don't know how CRB's are assessed by employers. Presumably, there's a policy.

You could always approach the employer and explain the situation, ask them whether they think it's worth continuing with the application and the expense of the CRB.

We get these sort of posts quite often, and I tend to say 2 things.

1. Be honest with your potential employer.

2. Only way to find out is to submit the CRB. Look at it this way, what's the worst that can happen? You don't get the job.

I'd imagine, if you're going to be working in a school, that it would be an Enhanced CRB, which gives more detail. I'm no expert on CRB by any means, off the top of my head I'd say these matters may well show up.

I work in a school and have a conviction; albeit an old one. Although it showed up on my Enhanced CRB check, two employers who've received this info. never mentioned it to me and I'm still with the last employer 3 years on.

Did your employer ask you to disclose before offering you the job? I remember having a form to fill in on both occasions and was honest on there, although my description of the conviction was worded in a more common sense way than was on the CRB when it came back; which made it look like I'd fallen foul of the FBI... Fraud Act, Theft Act... :!: I think it helps for employers to know the true nature of the offence at times and mine was boarding a train (on several occasions) without having a valid ticket.... which sounds far less horrifying.

If you're working around children, I'd assume that all they'd be interested in was whether you're a pervert or not.... lol...

:-)

The employer called, menioned about a passport which is fine, then the CRB. he offered me the post but said about the CRB and said you will be alright with that yeah? I said yes and left it at that.

Yeah thats what I thought the CRB would rely on, if you have commited any crimes that arent related to the job title then why wouldnt you get the job.

After reading other posts thogh my confidence isnt doing well, I quite certain they will get the CRB and say sorry you cant have the job.

Like I said I have a job so Im not going to jump of a bridge because of it but would be nice to be judged on present rather then the past.

NEVER GOD DAMM MIND

The employer called, menioned about a passport which is fine, then the CRB. he offered me the post but said about the CRB and said you will be alright with that yeah? I said yes and left it at that.

Yeah thats what I thought the CRB would rely on, if you have commited any crimes that arent related to the job title then why wouldnt you get the job.

After reading other posts thogh my confidence isnt doing well, I quite certain they will get the CRB and say sorry you cant have the job.

Like I said I have a job so Im not going to jump of a bridge because of it but would be nice to be judged on present rather then the past.

NEVER GOD DAMM MIND

I'd be inclined to call back and discuss your concerns. Be open and say that you have got an incident on there and explain what it is. The drunk and disorderly incident won't be on there unless you were convicted..... and let's be honest, how many of us have sailed through life being holier than thou? These things are all part of life's rich tapestry and teach us all kinds of things about ourselves. The most important thing to remember is that you're not a danger to kids.

If you don't make any contact at all, then you'll stress about it.

:-)

The drunk and disorderly incident won't be on there unless you were convicted.....

I think that the Drunk & Disorderly arrest will almost certainly appear on an enhanced CRB, but I agree that you need to be as up front and frank about things as possible. A CRB with incidents listed need not be a barrier to employment IF the incidents are considered not to be relevant to the post which you have applied for. An arrest is only supposed to be listed on a CRB by the Chief of Police if it is considered worthy of mention in the light of the reason for the CRB being requested - it may not show up, but it is likely - and even then, with an explanation from you, the prospective employer may themselves decide that it is irrelevant. The check is to establish whether you are likely to pose a danger to vulnerable people, so whilst a string of arrests or a history or misdemeanours might portray you as unsuitable, there should be no reason why an isolated incident would exclude you - especially if in all other areas you were the best candidate.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

No probs. For the record, a standard CRB will only list convictions (spent and unspent), cautions and reprimands held on the Police National Computer, whilst an Enhanced CRB will also search the records of local police forces, and the Chief of the local Police Force may then include any information such as arrests, investigations, allegations not pursued etc where these may be considered relevant to the job being applied for or the purpose of the CRB being requested.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Yeah - you're nothing but a lot of talk and a badge!

DONATE HERE

Crap innit?

Basic? I'm a saint.

Enhanced? I'm Robert DeNero.

Enhanced: I'm a major fraudster and a thief..... not that it's stopped me progressing, I might add.

It's often made me wonder why certain professions are full of middle-class do-gooders with charmed lives and no experience of much else.... :roll:

Enhanced: I'm a major fraudster and a thief..... not that it's stopped me progressing, I might add.

It's often made me wonder why certain professions are full of middle-class do-gooders with charmed lives and no experience of much else.... :roll:

You're not a solicitor, are you?

You're not a solicitor, are you?

No.... if I had my time over and life had been better, I would have trained in law as it always interested me.

My backgroud is actually psychology and counselling; partly due to the life I've had myself. Before embarking on that journey, my thinking was that if I didn't find a positive route with my own life that the years of trauma and hardship would chew me up... As a result, I gained a double honours degree in an attempt to occupy my mind at the time.... and various other things and now work with teenagers with behavioural problems; an area absolutely full to the brim with middle-class, out-of-touch, hypothesising do-gooders (in the guise of outside agencies) who haven't got a clue.... :roll:.... and the kids hate..... :roll:

Without going through my own life experiences though, I doubt I'd have the understanding to do the job to be honest. Thanks for asking, by the way..... :-)