Royal Mail Wont Pay Compensation For Lost Recorded Signed For Item Wrong Address *****Resolved*****

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4438 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am so frustrated I sent an item that I sold on Ebay via Recorded Delivery to a Paypal confirmed address and the buyer said they had not recieve it so I checked the Royal Mail tracking and it was never delivered after even a month(it says it is still in there postal network)

So I claimed and sent all the items needed and then recieved a letterfrom the Royal Mail saying:

One of our conditions of posting is thet all mail must display a correct full address inc postcode.As the address used in this instance did not meet our requirements.I am sorry but I cannot offer you compensation for the loss.

I sent the item to a

Flat 2 , 5 Private Road

Area

Town

Postcode

I also included my return address and it hasnt been returned.

The postcode shows the address I sent it to when I searched using the Royal Mails address finder but not any flats and i did a google search and this road is full of flats in each house in this Road and it is Paypal confirmed I am furious.

Any suggestions and advice most welcome ?is the first suggestion a call to the Royal Mail customer services because this cannot be right.:mad2:

I'm a little confused as to what you are saying... does the address you sent it to actually exist, or not?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi

Thanx for the reply,the correct address door number comes up (5 Private Road)

on the royal mail search using the post code but no mention of flats at this address.

The person I sold the item tells me that this house has recently been made into flats hope this explains a bit better.

Also the address given including the flat number is paypal confirmed i thought this meant that it is the correct bank details.I had to fully refund the buyer.

First confirm with the buyer that this is the correct address and that they pay individual council tax for the flat within the building.

If this is a Yes then Get back in touch with Royal Mail and tell them that the address is correct and it must be their Address Management System which is out of date (Called Aplus Internally).

When Royal Mail are notified of new addresses / flats such as this by the Local Councils, it should be updated on the Local Offices Aplus system which feeds into the National Postcode Database, this does not always happen as it should and there are sometimes delays, hence it's not showing up as a confirmed address.

Once you have this confirmed, your claim should be looked at more favourably.

Steve

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
its all in the postal services act 2000

to true paul

It is not true that "You can't take the Royal Mail to the small claims court!"

Section 91 of the Postal Services Act provides that "Proceedings shall lie" in so far as a service provider "accepts liability under this section in pursuance of a scheme made under section 89"

Section 90 of the Postal Services Act 2000 is otherwise an exclusion of liability, but not an absolute abnegation of responsibility.

Apart from section 91, the exclusion would apply to something "done or omitted to be done in relation to any postal packet in the course of transmission by post". Related to a separate issue, you could in any case sue an officer, servant, employee, agent or sub-contractor of a universal service provider, on that account.

Because of the Postal Services Act, the Royal Mail is a service provider, not a department of the government.

• 8 months later...
Oh no, no no! You can't take the Royal Mail (or certain other bodies including any Government department in fact) to the small claims court!

Sorry, I know this thread is months old (just came to it because I need to claim for a lost item), but had to reply to this!

I took RM to Court a couple of years ago and successfully got them to cough up £100! Not the greatest victory, I grant you, but better than nothing. So unless Paul was being sarcastic, it's certainly doable! :D

• 2 months later...

Congrats Fernis,

I am continuously fustrated by the actions of my local Royal Mail sorting office. Whenever I deal with any company that requires correspondednce, I have to tell them early on, not to rely on any letters or parcels being delivered properly by royal mail!

Sorry I never responded to my thread and i feel i must tell what happened,after being given the runaround by the Royal Mail they eventually give me a booklet of stamps as compensation for the loss.

So I complained to the Royal Mail again and said they took the money for recorded delivery and there wasnt any signature recied and i didnt even have the items returned to me by them.

They still said they stuck to the decision so i complained to the Postal Review Panel and guess what they refunded me in full within 2 weeks and they said they had spoken to the delivery man for the address and he confirmed it was an actual address that he delivers too so success after persevering what i knew was right.:oops:

I cannot post the link to the Royal Mail site on here because i have only posted a couple of times but just search google for royal mail customer care complaints process to find the link.