vehicle repo/dvla failing to notify new keeper question

postggj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4819 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

just thinking out loud on this sinario and would welcome comments

say a finance company does a repo on your car and sells the vehicle at auction,

as it was a repo you never surendered your v5 to notify new keeper

now the vehicle is the property of the finance company and you did not sell the vehicle as it was a repo

can dvla still do the penalty for not notifying them on disposal of the vehicle

infact, would the finance company now have that obligation

hope that makes sense

my 2p's worth is, knowing the dvla they would hold you the RK fully responsible untill they receive the v5c or a request for one from an interested party, in essence yes they could send you a penalty notice for it, but at the same time it is probalby logged on the file for the said vehicle that joe bloggs finance has an interest in the vehicle.

when my car was repo'd i sent the v5c off with the finance co.s details as new owner:-) got letter back saying thanks and am no longer liable for it. it also enabled me to get a little bit of retribution back on the finance co. as it has added another owner to the records :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

been looking into this

now dvla in this situation do a penalty of say fifty quid, thirty quid if paid in so many days

as this

IS NOT A SORN PENALY

WHAT REGULATIONS ARE THEY RELYING ON AND TO CHARGE XYZ PENALTY

The claim for failing to notify is not a penalty, it is out of court settlement offer for the offence - contrary to s.22, Vehicles Excise & Registration Act 1994, which is a criminal matter and can end up in the Magistrates Court.

The penalty claim for not having a licence (or SORN), is contrary to s. 29 of the same act and is treated as a civil debt and if not paid can end up in the County Court.

As you say, the Interpretation Act, if it is sent by normal post they are deemed to have received it. If DVLA decide to send a letter to acknowledge receipt, that is up to them, there is no legislation that requires them to do so or you to do anything if you do not receive the letter - although they will say that you must contact them if you don't receive it!.