Moorcroft can't find me?

buska_1976
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4850 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Forum,

I have a debt with Lloyds, about £20k, from about 10 years ago, which i probably stopped paying in 2006.

It got sold to moorcroft who have last had contact with me in 2008, when i told them i was moving abroad, which i did. Since then no contact from them. I'm not on the electoral roll, though i live and work in the UK now. They did try the last place i was registered too, my sister, she said she had no idea where i was!

Someone has advised me that "one day they'll find you and charge you £100,000!"

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Any words of experienced wisdom will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Buska

Hi buska

Welcome to CAG

You could tackle the debt, are you in a position too? or you could wait for it to be Statuted Barred, providing they've not got a CCJ. When was the last payment?

Wth Statuted Barred the debt will still be owed, but they can't take you to court, basically 6 years from the date of the last payment.

Hi Rebel,

Not really in a position to tackle it financially. I do recall they offered a settlement of about £12k. Over the phone. That was April 2008. I haven't paid a penny towards this since mid 2006. Someone also advised me that they may take a settlement payment of as little as £2k, and then how would i "prove" that the story was truly over? As i see it, i dont owe to Lloyds anymore, but to Moorcroft. I would need them to confirm the debt was settled, I assume.

There is no CCJ on me. They don't know where i live.

Should i try to stay under the radar?

What if i got a mortage? Would they come looking then? I have no assets, just a current accout with under £2k in it at any one time.

This is stressful!

I thank you for your advice in advance

Hi buska

There is no certainty they would except a Full and Final settlement, the letter you would send with the payment would cover you if worded correctly. If you got a mortgauge no doubt there will be checks carried out with Credit Ref. Agencies. The debt would be Statuted Barred in mid 2012. It's tough, I wouldn't stress yourself

about it. A court would only make you pay what you can afford.

Hi Rebel,

Not really in a position to tackle it financially. I do recall they offered a settlement of about £12k. Over the phone. That was April 2008. I haven't paid a penny towards this since mid 2006. Someone also advised me that they may take a settlement payment of as little as £2k, and then how would i "prove" that the story was truly over? As i see it, i dont owe to Lloyds anymore, but to Moorcroft. I would need them to confirm the debt was settled, I assume.

There is no CCJ on me. They don't know where i live.

Should i try to stay under the radar?

What if i got a mortage? Would they come looking then? I have no assets, just a current accout with under £2k in it at any one time.

This is stressful!

I thank you for your advice in advance

Thanks rebel,

In terms of the mortgage thing, could moorcroft not go for repossesing any house i may try to buy?

I'm torn between ignoring until mid 2012, or poking moorcroft with a stick, without disclosing my address phone number etc and seeing where i get.

How would i prove that last payment was in 2006?

As you are 'sure' there is no CCJ, then this should be SB in mid 2012 as you say. Have you checked your credit files, although this might well alert them to the fact that you have returned and have a uk address.

We on CAG do not support not paying your debts, but on the other hand we are not in the business of helping DCAs to do their job either.

If as you say you received a 'discount' offer, then this would suggest that there is no correct paperwork to support this alleged debt, so it is possibly legally unenforceable. If you do go down this route, offering a F & F this will re-set the SB clock for a further 6 years.

They would probably try to get a Charging Order on the house, but it's difficult to say what they would do. You could go into your local bank give them a SAR Request,

tell them you'll pick up the data from them when it's ready to collect. Don't put your current address on the request.

Thanks rebel,

In terms of the mortgage thing, could moorcroft not go for repossesing any house i may try to buy?

I'm torn between ignoring until mid 2012, or poking moorcroft with a stick, without disclosing my address phone number etc and seeing where i get.

How would i prove that last payment was in 2006?

How could one find out if there is a CCJ out there somewhere?

If they did offer a discounted settlement, and they have no paperwork to support the debt, why should i give them a penny?

What i want to do is get them "off my back", perhaps with a couple of grand in one hit. But i don't want them to have any recourse to further pursuing me?

That's what i thought.

It's my main reason for trying to go for a F&F, but a valid one. Not the kind that gangsters like MDR would attempt.

Staying under the radar and talking about getting a mortgage seems a bit of a contradiction to me.