DVLA and Driving Licence renewal trickery

olewh
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was notified in mid-January that my Driving Licence was due for renewal on the 25th March, so I renewed it straight away. However I was really p*ss*d off to see that my new licence commences (and thereby expires 10 years after) from the time they received my new application, the 20th January rather than the the 25th March.

This is like some sort of fraud or theft. I dont believe government should be doing this. (With MOT's there's a 1 month crossover period). To think that when I got my paper licence as a teenager is was supposed to last for life. Now I have to pay £20+ every 10 years for the privilege of being ripped-off by the DVLA.

Would appreciate any comments or advice on this, especially as to the legality of what they are doing. Did I miss the small-print?

Typical of the DVLA. You can renew a passport within 6 months of its renewal and the Passport Agency will show the renewal date of the new passport for the full 10 years plus the extra few months where the applicant has renewed early (usually to meet the requirement of several countries where the passport needs to have at least 6 months before its expiry when the person travels).