Please help my car was hit from behind

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4643 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone, first of all my I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong part of the form

Please give me the chance to highlight this issue:

I was parked (car engine off) outside a fast foot outlet, when a car come from behind and hit me, when I looked from the side I could see a red car driving away with no lights on, so I started my car and followed this car. My wife was in the car so I told her to call 999 and inform them of the car registration, and that we were in pursuit of this car. This car stopped on a side road, and I got out of my car and approached the driver, who was a female and she said" I don't have any insurance and I'm calling my brother so i said ok, and I noticed that it was a private taxi that she was driving.

Her brother turned up and said what's happened I told him that his sister has hit the back end of my car and drove off, and that I have called the police. He become aggressive start away and said I will deny it go do what you want, so I went home and called the police station, who asked me to come in with al my documents and to log in a complaint, so I did as I was told.

2 days later I receive a phone call from my insurance company asking me what this other driver has put in a claim for damages and injury :-x I am the victim here i told them, he was not even the driver it was a female who hit me and drove off.

I have reported this guy to council who are also looking into this matter why was his sister driving a private hire car.

Witness? there were a lot of people around, but I am sure he will make up some fake witness

CCTV? its a parade of shops, but a lot of them don't cover the road, i did make inquires.

There was a neighbour who walked my son home, and I also told him what had happened.

First question; why did you not wait for the police to attend at the time? If you felt threatend, you could of parked around the corner and waited. Second question, what are the police actually doing about it? Clearly there are 3 offences (at least) been comitted; leaving the scene of an accident, failing to excahnge details and driving with no insurance. It is likely that she was also driving a motor vehicle which she is not licenced for as I believe a plated private hire car can only be driven by a licenced private hire driver although I am happy to be corrected on that as the rules may have changed. Third question; did you report the accident to your insurers and have you submitted a claim? Your post suggests that you havn't in which case why not?

Edited by sailor sam

Thank you so much for the response

sailor sam : When the back of my car was hit, my conclusion was I need to get the car number plate, so i followed this car, and at the same time, I told my wife to call 999 so she did and we gave the number plate to the operator. The female driver stopped her car outside her house, and the police said exchange details wife was still on the phone, and I told her that the woman drivers not insured so the 999 woman said exchange details with her brother. When he refused I made my way home and called the local police.

I contacted my insurance company straight away in the morning at 10am. The police officer who is dealing with this has said if he can not get CCTV he can not do anything, he has not asked me to give him a statement as yet its been 2 weeks now.

I also contacted the the taxi licensing office who have been helpful and have started they own investigation's to why this female was driving a licensed taxi

the_shadow I have told the insurance company about the 999 call and they will request them.

afcwben yes the damage is to the rear back on drivers side of my car, the back bumper and the rear back light is smashed.

Update: Today morning my insurance esure said that this other driver (male) has put in an injury claim and damages to his car, I have informed them it was a female driver not male so this gentleman said he will pass the fail to the fraud department.

I have also put up a4 signs at the parade of shops were this accident happened for witness to come forward, I am innocent

(Thank you to all of you, this is very frustration for me, I have never been in an accident, I have a clean driving licence for over 10 years now, and I do not want to be a laughing stock)

The police are not dealing with this correctly. They are fobbing you off in making out that it is a routine accident when in fact an obvious criime has been comitted. as i said in my earlier post at least 3 offences have been comitted so you need to go to the police station and report the matter as a crime and don't take no for an answer. Tell them you wish to press charges and make a statement. If they refuse ask to speak to a senior officer. The 'lack of CCTV' excuse is irrelevant as if they had acted correctly at the time, no CCTV would of been necessary.

Please keep us posted.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Edited by sailor sam
siganture not posting

Thank you for your response dear sailor sam

Last night at 10.00pm I called the on police officer who is dealing with this incident he is on night shifts, I asked him if he had made inquires. This is what he had to say, Its only a minor accident (Yeah the estimate has come back over £600.00) then he says I went out to make inquires and the business on that parade were closed? so I ask him what did did you go, he said it was 1.30am (what the hell) the fast food outlets close at 11.30pm. Then on top of all this he tells me that he will be off work, and will be back on Monday day shift and will look into this matter, and he said bye!

I put the phone down, and could not believe this, me and my wife discussed this and I rang back to the station. I asked the receptionist, if I could speak to an on duty Sargent or have his details and he said I can not give them out, but I can request him to call you back, I said that is fine.

Update: Today morning at 7.45am I receive a phone call from the Inspector, who asked why I was not happy, so I explained the whole case to him, I gave him the log number, officers ID numbers and he said" He is not one of my boy's and you are not part of my county, the north division should be dealing with this (:mad2: do the police know what they doing?) so this inspector is going to pass the file back to the inspector who is in my county and il have to wait for him to call me.

(Also thanks for the info, sailor sam, if I don't get luck, il go into the police station and say" I want to press charges on the 3 above offences

(Can I name the towns on this form and which police I am having dealings with please)

Yes you can name the town/area. Persoanlly I would get the ball rolling again by contacting the 'north division' myself! Mention that the incident was reported via a 999 call at the time and they should be able to trace it in addition to the log number you have. As I see it the offences should be; Failing to stop /Leaving the scene of an accident, failing to exchange details, driving without insurance and POSSIBLY driving otherwise than in accordence to a driving licence (which is driving the private hire car when not licenced to do so bit).

If the police do their bit, it will help you claim process tremendously. By the way, have you got the TP's insurance details yet?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Edited by sailor sam
Signature not posting

Thank you for the response

Update: Today I have spoken to the Sargent who was very helpful and did apologise in how this matter was dealt with, I also pointed out the offences. He made a note of all the information I gave him.

He also said that he would have to give me a police cation :-x (but I am innocent) because the other party has made a complaint, and then he would arrest the other driver and try to find out who the female driver was :|

I don't have anything to hide, they could cation me or lock me up, but I am still innocent, and yes my insurance have the 3rd party details. The fraud department is on top of this thanks to them guys, and

(This happened in Bradford and the file was sent to Keighley inspector and its back in Bradford also the Taxi is licensed in Leeds so the Leeds council have started they own investigation)

Looks stressful but promising, but it upsets me to see that I will have to spend time in a cell (first time in my life)

Caution you for what exactly?

Please Note

Edited by sailor sam
Signature not posting

Looks stressful but promising, but it upsets me to see that I will have to spend time in a cell (first time in my life)

Why do you think you will get locked up? A caution is just the bit of speel the police have to give you about "....anything you do say will be taken down and may be given in evidence....." I see no reason why he would be arresting you and throwing you in a dark cell for the rest of your life! lol

:jaw:

Eeek... only if you admit something thats worthy of it.. a caution is just the advising you of your rights, until they've cautioned you they cant take anything you have stated as being a true statement as such.. you have to be cautioned, interviewed and then sign the interview... then it can be used as evidence.

S.

Do you want to know what to do.

1. The Police are very slow, doesn't matter which division is dealing with it. You need to call them and get to the RTC clerk, this person can check the details of the accident and he will then allocate it to the relivent team. No point calling someone that is not in that department. Call switchboard and ask for the RTC clerk and he is dealing with your case.

2. Get the phone record from your phone provider, proving that you called the Police first will assist you. You will need to either wait for your bill or photo copy your mobile phone with the time and date when you called. Then goto the station and ask them if there is a log, they will ask for time and date then you will get a Log refrence number (assuming the inspector gave you this). The Log number is a number followed by time and date. The collision number has 2 letters in it ( usualy with your form you filled at the station and showed your documents)

Do you have any photo's? your car and theirs

Do you have the reg of the other car yourself?

Did you get a name of the girl?

It is against the law to drive a private hire vehicle unless you are licensed, even if the plates are removed.

Did you exchange details with the driver, you may be saying no but if he has your number you will loose. so does he have your number?

Criminal activity- you need to let the Police know that it is against the law for the man to let his sister drive the car and get the police to take a statement off him, if he ever lets his sister drive, he may not know it is illegal.

Only offence I can see is failing to exchange details, and if you give a statement and say you did not give details you are commiting a offence.

They did stop because you followed them and then they stopped.

BTW how come you didnt wait for the Police to turn up?

Kind regards Tommy King

Excelent post TK except you closing remarks. It is also an offence to leave the scene of an accident. As you will see from the OPs first post, the girl deliberately drove off even turning her lights off and if the OP's car had been imobilised she would of no doubt dissapeared for good so there was intent there. Also she admits to having no insurance and, as you say she is possibly driving a vehicle that she is not entitled to. So there are a number of possible offences for the police to investigate but from the OPs account, they appear to be un-interested.

Please Note

Edited by sailor sam
Signature not posting
  • Haha 1

Thank you Tommy King for that information :)

I have called the phone company O2 and they said it is a free call and it would not show up on my statement if I did request one from them, but the Sargent said" he will get hold of the 999 call from Police data.

When she hit me, and drove off, I followed her and read the number plate out, and my wife at the same time was reporting all this on the 999 call.

This girl was not interested at all, when I walked over to the car and said you've hit me and drove off? straight way she said" I don't have insurance and i'm calling my brother :x

No details were exchanged at all. When her brother turned up he started giving out all attitude, he was ignorant and very aggressive, this is why I used the 0845 Police number who advised me to come to the station with all my documents within 24hrs but I went in straight away 10pm at night.

Thanks guys for telling me what a caution is and how it works, I have never had one so I didn't know.

The brother is the taxi driver and it was his sister behind the wheel, (driving a Leeds private taxi) Now he the taxi driver made a claim of whip lash and back injury, when in fact he was not even in the car :!:. Leeds licensing department, have said if he is so badly injured why is he working night shifts?? they are also on his case.

I will report back with any update, at this moment I have to wait for the Police, Leeds council and my insurance company.

(Thanks so much to all you guys I do appreciate all the info and support) :clap2:

UPDATE: I have just spoken to the police officer who was dealing with this incident, he has said he interviews the car owner for over 45mins who they do not believe at all, the taxi driver (girls brother) is denying everything and has said" he had 2 children in the car at the time, me and my wife were abusive to him etc. The officer quizzed him on how I got his address then, his answer was that he had gave it to me? (untrue).

Police have said they can not prosecute him or his sister due to lack of evidence, so they will write to my insurance company and his insurance. They will also inform the Leeds licensing department of the out come and let them have a choice of further investigation. The police officer did say" I do not believe anything what he (taxi driver) has said, and I will write that in my report as that is my opinion.

Also he has come up with a witness, that the police are not interested in, as he is just another fake witness.

Dose all this mean, now the 2 insurance company will deal with this?

UPDATE: I have just spoken to the police officer who was dealing with this incident, he has said he interviews the car owner for over 45mins who they do not believe at all, the taxi driver (girls brother) is denying everything and has said" he had 2 children in the car at the time, me and my wife were abusive to him etc. The officer quizzed him on how I got his address then, his answer was that he had gave it to me? (untrue).

Police have said they can not prosecute him or his sister due to lack of evidence, so they will write to my insurance company and his insurance. They will also inform the Leeds licensing department of the out come and let them have a choice of further investigation. The police officer did say" I do not believe anything what he (taxi driver) has said, and I will write that in my report as that is my opinion.

Also he has come up with a witness, that the police are not interested in, as he is just another fake witness.

Dose all this mean, now the 2 insurance company will deal with this?

This is ridiculous to be frank. The police have your evidence do they not? So the TP gets off scot free and you will take a hit on your insurance or at the very least have to wait months for a pay out. Sounds like he didn't need a 'fake witness' at all if the police are not going to prosecute. Had the police had responded adequately at the time when you called them, they would of seen all the evidence they needed. Personally I would be complaining.

Please Note

it seems likly that the Police wont do anything even if the person doesnt have a witness. the reason is that the criminal courts need to be certain, adn also you need to know someone in the force.

It will be down to the insurance to fight it,

it seems likly that the Police wont do anything even if the person doesnt have a witness. the reason is that the criminal courts need to be certain, adn also you need to know someone in the force.

It will be down to the insurance to fight it,

Sorry, your post dosn't make sence. It isnt up to the police to decide not to press charges against anyone because 'the criminal courts need to be certain'. It is the courts themselves to decide whether a person is guilty of an offence or not. And saying 'you need to know someone in the force' is rather a unhelpful remark.

As I see it, the police can act on the OPs evidence providing that the OP is prepared to follow it through by making a statement and if necessary, attending court as a prosecution witness. These are pretty serious offences and to allow the TP to aviod prosecution is hardly a detterent for them not to do it again. In my opinion, the OP should make an official complaint by writing to the cheif constable of the relevant force.

Please Note

Update: Toady 7th Feb

The police officer has sent the file to the collision department, who would make a report and forward it to the CPS (Yes you are right) also the officer has given the go ahead to the Leeds city licensing department, who contacted me today morning and, has made an appointment with me at 2.00pm for Tuesday 8th Feb. He is an enforcement officer who would take statements from me, and then interview this drivers, and also try to get evidence together.

The officer did say to me, that his report will help me deal with the insurance company, and after interviewing this taxi driver, the officer said, he could give his professional opinion that he is not telling the truth.

(Guys I will report back to you all once I have seen the Leeds council officer, and if he believes that this taxi driver has done wrong then his taxi licence will be revoked, thanks to you all I really appreciate all the help)

This sounds a bit more promising. Your previous post sugested that the police were not going to persue it further. Had they had responded more adequately at the time may be the case would of been easier as it appears that you are the only witness. This would be why they have referred it to the CPS who will decide whether to prosecute or not. If they do, you will no doubt have to give evidence. Having said that, its good that the LA are taking the matter seriously from the licencing aspect as this could act as a 'back-up' should the CPS choose not to prosecute. The point being that either one will assist your insurance claim.

Please do keep us posted as this an interesting one!

Please Note

Thank you so much sailor sam and everyone that posted

Update: The enforcement officer turned up at the time promised, he has my full statement now that lasted 2hrs (7 pages). I offered him a drink that he said yes to, and he was a very strict guy around 45 year old. Enforcement officer told me that he was given the go ahead by the West Yorkshire Police, to start his own investigation, and was also told the (taxi) driver was very rude towards the police, and did not care at all.

The enforcement officer, has looked into this (taxi) drivers history and it is not good, he said he can not discus anything further with me, but would make an appointment to see the witness. and then come back to get my wifes statement.

3 higher ranking officers from LA would see the evidence, and revoke his licence and then try to take civil prosecution.

My Insurance have refused the taxi drivers claim, after viewing the pictures of the damage, they have said, it is impossible to create damage like that by reversing backwards into any car. So basically my insurance have told him to get jogging.

Looks very positive, will update you guys soon as I find out whats going on with, the witness statement :)

Hi,

I saw a programme last year called Crash for Cash... it was about drivers who cause crashes on purpose then claim on insurance for injury/damage to vehicle etc. Is it possible you were a victim of this? I can't post a link as haven't done enough posts yet but if you google it info comes up.