LG American Style Fridge Freezer - Unrepairable 2 1/2 Years Old !

myworlduk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4916 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Just joined the group to share my experience so far with our latest failed product.

We purchased an LG American Style Fridge Freezer from Comet in June 2008 and it's been a brilliant purchase until a week ago.

During a usual pre-christmas clearout and clean of the fridge I noticed a brownish sludge stuck to back of the fridge wall, took out all the shelves and noticed it was coming out of several hairline cracks in the corner of the liner.

Cleaning the offending material took some time and a little elbow grease, but I got it off, but was horrified so see the lining of the fridge cracking like this.

I was aware we had a 2 year guarantee, which had expired and thankfully we also have a kitchen appliance repair insurance and gave them a call for an engineer to inspect and repair.

Upon inspection by the engineer, he confirmed that the plastic was likely sub-standard and was cracking due to expansion/contraction of the fridge. He immediatly stated it could not be repaired as the liner was glued to the internal insulation material, therefore he remarked unrepairable.

In light of this, our insurance is not valid, it covers parts/labour only, I therefore called LG for advice and was somewhat flabbergasted at what I was told next.

LG informed me that the unit was a Comet "special" therefore had been bought from LG without warranty terms and therefore LG were unable to assist me, which is fair enough, they didn't sell it etc etc.

So I called Comet for advice and was told that I wasn't entitled to anything as the unit was 28 months old and outwith the 12 month warranty they would provide. However if I wished I could get an out or warranty repair. I curteously declined and begun digging out my paperwork.

According to this I have a 2 year warranty, which means I am only 5 months out.

I called Consumer Direct, who state in the eyes of the law 5 years is considered a reasonable time to be fault free and therefore advised me to write to Comet demanding a repair/replacement and have completed a template letter, which I have forwarded to EDITED directly, here's hoping he actually helps !

Comet if you're reading this, Shame On You !

Will update as I hear, fingers crossed :mad2:

Hi and welcome to CAG.

I have taken the liberty of removing the name you put in your post. It is better to use company names rather than individuals.

On a brighter side, you are doing everything right so far.

Did the engineer give you a copy of his report?

It is highly unlikely you will get all of your money back but if you are succesful and based on the report that it cannot be repaired, you should get a partial refund or a credit to use when buying another appliance

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Update:

Have received an email from the Director's Office, requesting copy of engineers report, which I have sent.

I have requested a replacement F/F as settlement.

Advised this can take up to 3 days to investigate.

Fingers crossed :roll: