another "failure to notify disposal of vehicle" issue

red-5
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4945 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi

i've read through so many of these posts its worried me more than when i started!

honesty being the best policy, in comparison to most i've been a bit of a numpty (pre-empting any of you who may spot that!) and i'm quite open to comments of "pay the fine and run" but wanted to check before i delved into my pockets to feed the DVLA monster.

on trading in my old banger for a new car, i realised i'd lost my V5. consulting the DVLA website, i drafted a letter fully expecting to send this off on the day of collecting my new car. the dealers however suggested they would run into problems if i sent that off prior to them communicating to DVLA (error 1!!) so i agreed to hold off the letter, and wait to be communicated to.

after a week or so, i was getting a bit antsy, so followed up, they said they'd get back to me and never did (error 2!!)

i then received a letter from the DVLA identifying that "someone" had attempted to register my old car, and if that was correct not to take any further action (error 3- i followed that), although at that point i sent off my tax disc for a refund, and as instructed on the DVLA website included the letter notifying them of change of owner.

last week i received a cheque from the DVLA for the balance of my car tax.

the next day, i received a letter from the infamous Mrs Woolley, identifying that "she had received information which indicates i was no longer the keeper of the vehicle...you do not appear to have notified us of the disposal of this vehicle and should be advised that this is an offence... please pay £55 (reduced to £35).. if we do not receive payment for this alleged offence we will take court action against you."

i KNOW they should have received the letter early (hence my reluctant acceptance of the fine, if no one disagrees?) but just to note... for future reference, and perhaps to ensure nothing FURTHER bites me on the proverbial;

1. IS my receipt of a tax rebate proof they (the DVLA) received the letter? (presumably) i worry that there's so many depts, the letter could have been binned and something ELSE will turn up.

2. do i need to chase up this acknowledgment letter you're supposed to receive, or is this rigmarole over-riding this?

3. by paying the fine am i admitting to a criminal offience? (and what are the implications of that?)

4. if i do pay the fine, is that the end of the matter, or can i expect further issues from this?

i'm minded to give the number a call and be completely honest, but i know in some of these postings thats been advised against.

ok, i reckon its a fair shout to say i've been a bit of a numpty, but if anyone has any helpful comments as to how to proceed... i'm up for hearing them (i've got a week until my "reduced" fine schedule runs out)

thanks

(one who will be far more careful next time)

wow 137 views and no replies.... looking at many other similar cases described, there's lots of help- is there something i am doing wrong?

with so little advice, i committed to just calling them up and trying to find out why i was committing an offience. interestingly i called up DVLA Swansea first to check on my change of owner status- indeed they HAD received my letter, so i was not the registered owner, and they are sending me the acknowledgement letter (clocks ticking)- even though it went through an almost comical "oh did you want one?" "well it says in your docs i will get one sent, and to pursue it if i don't receive one" "oh so you want an acknowledgement- you might need to write to us to request one"....

AND then to Chelmsford- where their answerphone (heard repetitively from 3:34 to 3:45 pm this afternoon) told me;

"This office is closed. The DVLA office hours are 9am to 5pm monday to Friday. please call back within these times. This office is closed."

so now, IF i choose the easy life, and want to pay the fine what happens? the end date of the reduced fee of £35 is tomorrow (of course they're not open tomorrow) BUT i tried to pay today???

OR if anyone does want to revert to my initial posting- AM i in the wrong, or should i reject the fine completely and ask to go to court (as described in so many other postings)

ANY ADVICE gratefully received :)

I will reply. Pay the fine. You did indeed fail to notify the DVLA of the sale by the required method, of returning the appropriate portion of the V5c to DVLA. You could not do this as you didn't have it and, as you have already told them that, you have no real option IMHO..

I don't think you have a defence as you never sent the section of the V5 off. So I would simply pay the fine. However since you were prepared to inform DVLA on the day you gave the car to the dealer and it was their idea not to write. Ask them for the return of the fine paid.

As an aside not a dig at you personally but a V5 is quite an important document I am surprised at the amount of people who lose them!