Tiscali cheek

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6551 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

All this was around two years ago now but I'm wondering about the position.

I decided to go for Tiscali broadband and duly signed up online. In due course, I received the package containing external modem, etc. However, half the components listed were missing, making it impossible to install.

I phoned Tiscali but was met with a system of options:

Are you a new broadband customer? yes

Have you installed everything as instructed? No

In that case, phone us again when you have..

Trying again:

... Have you installed everything as instructed? I tried 'yes' this time.

Please hold.... (annoying muzak)...

We're sorry but there's no one available to take your call. Try again later

Turning to online options, I found a list of email addresses that were each for a specific sort of problem, none of which was "missing bits". I just chose the top one on the list and got a curt reply saying "Not our department, not interested. Phone customer services."

One option back then in the phone menu was Accounts. I tried this as I was systematically trying every option by then. It led to a recording stating that they now had a dedicated phone number just for accounts queries, so I phoned that one. I finally go to speak to someone! He said he was horrified to hear of my problems (the best way to respond to complaints, I've been taught) and offered the following solution: he said he had put a note on my account to the effect that no money may be extracted from my bank account until I had actually connected to the service at least once.

Fairly satisfied with this, I continued to try phoning for a week or so and eventually gave up on Tiscali altogether.

Some months later, I was horrified to notice that they had taken out of my account not only a hefty set-up fee, but monthly charges for 4 months as well - I was also ashamed that I had paid so little attention to my bank statements. I was able to stop all further payments and this initiated a stern series of letters from Tiscali threatening to cut off my service. One final letter said, more or less, "obviously you don't want our service so this is the parting of the ways. Bye."

The (amateur) advice I had then was to keep quiet because I had signed up for a minimum of one year. If I made a fuss asking for money back, Tiscali might be within their rights to insist I pay for the whole year.

I wrote it off as a bad loss but... does anyone know if I might have had a case against them?

I don't know about the 2 years past, I think the 6 yrs limit might apply here too, but I won't say more than that, I'm sure someone else will know.

As regards the 1 yr contract, you were given very poor advice indeed. The contract places obligations on both sides, and since Tiscali were quite obviously not fulfilling their part, you were totally within your rights to pull out. And since you never used the service (for obvious reasons), you would have a very good case to claim a total refund from them.

I agree that you were poorly advised.

This is what The Consumer Action Group means when it says "Reclaim the Right"

You have allowed yourself to be inconvenienced and fleeced by Tiscali and their poor service and then you keep quiet in case you are the one who is at fault. Your advisor also needs to Reclaim the Right as well.

How much is at stake here?

have you got a copy of the email you sent or any other writing?

What has happen to the Tiscali equipment?

Do you know if anything had been logged on your credit file?

• 3 months later...
  • 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6551 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks