Pension credit home visit

charlieboy1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4952 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My mum receives pension credit as a single person, however earlier this year we advised the Pension service of a change in her circumstances. Over the past few years she has shared her house with a man who was a close friend of the family,they were not a couple and he did not contribute to the rent so was classed as a non-dependant, he basically helped out with the cost of shopping etc. and he was company for her (he was in full time employment but due to personal issues was not able to contribute to the running of the home) . Over the past 2-3 years both of them have had serious illnesses (cancer, heart condition) and have been dependant on each other for care &c., this has brought them closer and they have now decided that they would like to live as a couple. we advised the pension service of this change and they now want to make a home visit to clear things up...is this normal.....my mum is worried that she has done something wrong...any advice would be appreciated...many thanks

Edited by charlieboy1

Hello and welcome to CAG. This is probably nothing to worry about, as a read around the forum will show you, but I don't remember a home visit happening for pension credit.

I expect one or more of our gurus will be along this evening, so please bear with us and you should get your answer. In the meantime, it's not worth worrying.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

thanks so far....from what the person from the pension service today (they didnt really say much) I think they were querying when he had moved in, or had they had a reconciliation &c, dont think they understood that he had been there anyway but that they had decided to live as a couple only earlier this summer.

my mum is so confused, she didnt even know she was getting pension credit till she phoned and asked them for a breakdown of what she received...I just hope she hasnt been receiving money from them that she shouldnt

It's perfectly normal in this situation. The purpose of the visit is for them to establish how long their relationship has been a "partnership" and to perform a check of their benefit entitlement with the change of circumstances; now they are a couple, the amount they can claim may increase or decrease, depending on their pooled income and capital.

Your mother declared him living there from the start so she hasn't done anything wrong, she's been completely upfront about the matter from the beginning, long before they decided they wanted to be a couple.

• Confused 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Hi thanks.....I know she advised the Council when he moved in because of Council Tax etc but I dont know if she told the Pension Service, I dont know if she realised that she should and due her her health she cant remember. we only realised we had to tell the pension service when we asked the council tax office if we had to tell anyone else and they mentioned the pension service

Edited by charlieboy1