Esp warning light - golf mark v **Resolved**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3817 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies if this has been mentioned before or I am in the wrong place.

The ESP warning light on my 2006 Mark V VW GolfS 1.6 auto has been constantly illuminated and from a diagnostic check it appears that I need to replace the ABS module at a cost of £1000 + from VW. The car is still functioning as normal but this module is apparently a very important component of the braking system and the car would not pass an MOT, nor would I be able to sell it with this light still on.

The car has done less than 19,000 miles and from what I have been reading on the internet this seems to be a common fault with this version of the Golf. VW are apparently aware of the problem and many people believe that there should have been a recall on these vehicles. VW are apparently no longer using this particular part on newer models. VW have paid for repairs in some cases, but in others not.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any advice welcome. Thanks.

What happens when the ESP is turned off? Does the ABS light come on.? What are the trouble/fault codes recorded? It actually could be one of a set of sensors faulty as opposed to the module. Also, exchange modules are available from other sources at considerably less than quoted.

Just make sure the diagnosis is 100% correct before the garage condems it.

If the ESP is not functioning then is the ABS. If the ABS functions then it's more likely to be a sensor.

As regards recompense from VAG you first have to break down their customer service department who are not actually VAG but a call centre in Sheffield I believe. Not absolutely sure who it's run by but think it might be Mondial. Essentially they have a set of guidelines to work to which is frankly rubbish as you have to take the merits of each claim on initial face value and investigate. The operators are probably untrained in these matters and experience shows this to be the case.

What I suggest is lodging a formal complaint with them and get the number they give you.

Then PM me and I'll take you through the process as to how to break them down and get to the real people who make the decisions.

Thank you for your reply.

The ESP is off, because the warning light is illuminated saying 'ESP OFF'. The garage originally thought it was just a case of resetting the sensor, but on further investigation and connecting the car up for a diagnostic check, it turns out there is an error code (20 something I think) and VW have advised that this a problem with the ABS module. There is no warning light on for the ABS so I assume that is still working ok.

Sorry I don't really understand any of this technical stuff. (Female!!)

Thanks for the advice regarding the customer service department. I am now going to check on this fault code and get in touch with VAG. I will PM you when I hear any more.

Thanks again for your help.

It'll be a pressure sensor fault, but this sensor is an integral part of the ABS module. It is a common fault and VW do have a scale of goodwill contributions in place for this. A work colleague had this recently on her 3 year old 25000 mile Golf, as it had full VW service history they made a 100% parts and labour contribution.

On the MOT, at worst an illuminated ESP light should get an advisory, the only warning lights that are checked are the ABS and the tell tales for the indicators and rear fog lamp.

• 2 months later...

After several phone calls, e mails and letters to Customer Service, VW have now agreed to pay 75% towards parts and labour to rectify this problem as I have a partial service history with VW, the rest with an independent garage. This will not be the replacement of the whole module as first quoted, but for an apparently newly released 'repair kit' now on the market which is much cheaper as it will just replace the faulty part of the module. It will come with a 2 year warranty and means I will have to pay only £100 not £1400 as first thought. This is much more acceptable.

This outcome has been achieved thanks to the excellent help and advice received from CAG, especially Heliosuk. Thank you.

Good stuff, shoeshopper.

Glad you got that sorted.

Regards.

Scott.

• Haha 1

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• 1 year later...

Great info everyone. This is an even bigger issue as of Jan 2012 - as if yo have a safety feature the MOT now requires it to be fully operational. Some big bills of people this year - jet when they don't need it.

i had the experience you mentioned Heliosuk - the VW call centre was very poor. Would you be able to DM with approach you mentioned in order to get VW to take action. My Golf is a 2005 and for the last 3 not serviced at a VW dealership. Do you think I have a chance in hell???

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I have the same problem on my 2005 VW Touran. ABS/ESP lights warning lights appeared Jan 2010, diagnostics have confirmed its the same fault. VW Customer services have told me they have goodwill in place as this is a "known fault" but are not willing to offer me any contribution to repair. They won't be specific as to why, but I suspect its because car was 4.5 yrs old when unit failed. But it is clear these units are not fit-for-purpose as so many of them have failed, regardless of age. There is loads of info and data on internet about this issue. I am now starting small claims case against VW and would appreciate any advice anyone can offer as to how to take this forward (?Heliosuk). Have sent Letter before Action with no joy - response in phone call was no, I asked for it in writing but nothing received. Staggering how a multi-national car manufacturer can deal so poorly with customer complaints. Thanks v much.

• 1 month later...
What happens when the ESP is turned off? Does the ABS light come on.? What are the trouble/fault codes recorded? It actually could be one of a set of sensors faulty as opposed to the module. Also, exchange modules are available from other sources at considerably less than quoted.

Just make sure the diagnosis is 100% correct before the garage condems it.

If the ESP is not functioning then is the ABS. If the ABS functions then it's more likely to be a sensor.

As regards recompense from VAG you first have to break down their customer service department who are not actually VAG but a call centre in Sheffield I believe. Not absolutely sure who it's run by but think it might be Mondial. Essentially they have a set of guidelines to work to which is frankly rubbish as you have to take the merits of each claim on initial face value and investigate. The operators are probably untrained in these matters and experience shows this to be the case.

What I suggest is lodging a formal complaint with them and get the number they give you.

Then PM me and I'll take you through the process as to how to break them down and get to the real people who make the decisions.

Can you post what your problem is? In my opinion one of the biggest problems is that people automatically jump to SOGA when in fact the act is not as clear cut as it seems. If it's an issue due to premature parts failure then I'm willing to listen, either give an opinion or hold your hand through how to handle it.

To pm you could bump the post a few times to get required number of posts but I did not say that did I.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my vw golf 05 plate which cuts out on the motorway. But my uncle rec a programme dont get dun get Dom on the 17th April, which he was looking into this problem for 3 people he was in contact with VW to highlight the problem with the car VW have reinburst money for 2 people the third person VW said they would repair the car free of charge. VW know their was a problem with ESP it is a manufacturer problem since 2005 onwards, and it falls into the Sale of goods act 1979. Paul Buckett Head of Press from VW, is fully aware of this problem. I am personnaly frightened to go onto motorways because of this. ESP apparently it is the Pressure point Sensor Switch. I thought it was a fuse problem and thought i would check fuses, now i have another problem with the engine light stayin on. When i sort this out i will probably contact that Paul Buckett because Yes they should recall the VW golf and also Touran which has had problems with ESP as well. If you had to pay for this to be done you should write to Mr Paul Buckett asking for him to reinburst your payment. As the part was faulty in the Manufacturing, again it falls into the Sales of goods act 1979. It is really important to mention!. Good luck.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a similar problem on my 07 Match 1.9tdi. After some work on the timing I noticed that my ESP light comes on intermittently under only moderate acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear, it then stays on (flashing) until I'm in 4th and the engine speed has stabilised. NO, the wheels are not spinning! and NO it is not icey! That's the response I received from the VW dealer and they were not willing to accept that the fault has only appeared after the work they conducted to correct a starting fault.

Has anyone else suffered this and is there a cheap (not £70/he labour rate) fix?

Thanks

Jodie

• 2 months later...

The ESP failure just happened to me last week on my 56 Golf 1.9TDI. Following on from what I've read here my car went in into my local VW dealer (who has always serviced and maintained it) and all fixed with 100% contribution from VW with no hassle at all. I did have to commit to a £69 diagnosis charge on booking in, but this didn't apply as the repair was covered under the extended "goodwill" warranty.

So, thanks to the other contributors for making me aware of the ESP being an unreasonable component failure or otherwise I could have paid c £300. At least if you do have to pay there's a repair kit applied now rather than a complete ABS unit repalcement at over £1,000

So suggest that anyone with this problem approach their dealer to discuss and put forward an expectation of a VW contribution

• 6 months later...

We have had this on our Touran for a few months and I eventually got hold of code reader and it matches the issue stated:

01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201)

[/indent]

[/indent]012 -- Electrical Fault in Circuit

Last week I called the local VW dealership and said that I had an issue with the ESP/ABS light and believed that it might be this well known issue, the guy on phone got a real cob on and said that I MUST pay £107.40 for a diagnostic check before they would do any work. When I asked about the possibility of any refund of the check if the fault itself turned out to be free of charge fix. His attitude was that the diag check would not be covered - unbelievable, eventually I got to speak to the warranty guy and he said that it all depends on the fault found, which at least is a fair answer.

The car is booked in for Friday so we will see what happens then.

I'm never going to go here for any work in future though with arrogant rude staff like I have experienced here, I'm glad I haven't used this garage in the past.