Comet/Acer laptop problem grrrr...

laptop lady
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4976 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I could hopefully do with some advice.

I bought an Acer Aspire 5732ZG laptop from Comet on 19th September 2010 (i.e. 5 days ago).

Discovered something really annoying about the laptop when I started to actually use it for work (wordprocesssing) a day or two ago: the 'backspace' key makes a really annoying squeak (mouse like!) when it's used. I thought I could live with it but the squeak was just too annoying when I was trying to write an essay (i.e. using it frequently) it did my head in.

So I took the laptop back to Comet today (25th September) asking for a new replacement as it's clearly a manufacturing issue with the backspace key. Comet first denied it was a fault saying all keys make noises when used :roll:. When I refused to accept this- all the other keys are fine and don't have this problem)- they called in the manager to talk to me. He said I have to ring Acer and they will assess whether it's a fault, and if so they will decide whether or not to repair it.

Acer's telephone service isn't available on weekends so I'm intending to phone them on Monday and I'm looking for some advice on what I'm entitled to demand from them. As far as I'm concerned I haven't broken the laptop so it's not in need of repair- the backspace key was faulty coming out of the box- so I want a brand new replacement laptop without any defects (what I thought I was getting when I handed over my cash!). Do you think they'll agree to this (considering comet refused to even consider the problem a fault?). I had a look at my acer warranty terms when I got home and it says if sent for repair, Acer have the right to replace the laptop or parts with a refurbished one/refurbished parts. This isn't something I'm willing to accept for my 5 day old laptop! Can I demand a repair only and if that isn't possible then a new replacement laptop but nothing refurbished?

Any help would be really appreciated. I feel so annoyed that I paid a shade under £500 for a brand new laptop, only to have to deal with this *clenches teeth*.

Thanks much,

Laptop Lady

*Don't go to Acer. The Sale of Goods Act 1979 clearly shows that it is the seller who needs to either repair, replace or refund and after only 5 days you can easily demand a refund or replacement. S.14 is the key. Freedom from minor defects is mentioned.

Plus they cannot exclude or restrict the aforementioned Act by making reference to any contract terms as this would violate S.6 of the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977.

*All my advice is given without prejudice.

Edited by Last Of The Time Lords

LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

'real world' legal and retail experience too

comet are on board here at cag

i'll find the link to the user if you need it

you are entitled to a replacement or a total refund

its under 28 days old

infact i'm pretty sure thats comets own promise and its on the receipt

dx

siteteam

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Guest Comet Response
Hi everyone,

I bought an Acer Aspire 5732ZG laptop from Comet on 19th September 2010 (i.e. 5 days ago).

Discovered something really annoying about the laptop when I started to actually use it for work (wordprocesssing) a day or two ago: the 'backspace' key makes a really annoying squeak (mouse like!) when it's used. I thought I could live with it but the squeak was just too annoying when I was trying to write an essay (i.e. using it frequently) it did my head in.

So I took the laptop back to Comet today (25th September) asking for a new replacement as it's clearly a manufacturing issue with the backspace key. Comet first denied it was a fault saying all keys make noises when used :roll:. When I refused to accept this- all the other keys are fine and don't have this problem)- they called in the manager to talk to me. He said I have to ring Acer and they will assess whether it's a fault, and if so they will decide whether or not to repair it.

Acer's telephone service isn't available on weekends so I'm intending to phone them on Monday and I'm looking for some advice on what I'm entitled to demand from them. As far as I'm concerned I haven't broken the laptop so it's not in need of repair- the backspace key was faulty coming out of the box- so I want a brand new replacement laptop without any defects (what I thought I was getting when I handed over my cash!). Do you think they'll agree to this (considering comet refused to even consider the problem a fault?). I had a look at my acer warranty terms when I got home and it says if sent for repair, Acer have the right to replace the laptop or parts with a refurbished one/refurbished parts. This isn't something I'm willing to accept for my 5 day old laptop! Can I demand a repair only and if that isn't possible then a new replacement laptop but nothing refurbished?

Any help would be really appreciated. I feel so annoyed that I paid a shade under £500 for a brand new laptop, only to have to deal with this *clenches teeth*.

Thanks much,

Laptop Lady

Hi Laptop Lady,

My name’s Matt and I’m from Comet.

I was disappointed to learn of the problems that you are experiencing with your Acer laptop.

When a customer experiences a problem with a laptop under 28 days old, customers are able to return the laptop to their local Comet store along with a proof of purchase, upon which a colleague is able to contact Acer as they are the nominated repair agents for this particular item.

On contacting Acer, if a hardware fault is confirmed the store are then able to obtain the necessary authorisation for a replacement to be supplied, and I apologise if this process was not previously explained or completed when visiting the store.

I note that you were going to call Acer on Monday, therefore, if this has not yet been resolved could you please send me an e-mail at the link below which includes your purchase details. When sending your e-mail, please quote your forum username ‘Laptop Lady.’ Upon receiving this information I will also be able to investigate into why the store failed to inform you of this procedure when you called.

https://comet.custhelp.com

Thanks

Matt

Guest Comet Response
Hi everyone,

Thanks much,

Laptop Lady

Hi Laptop Lady,

I have continued to monitor the situation, and we do not appear to have received a response.

Should you still require assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me again via our email service.

Regards,

Matt