Faulty LCD TV and Argos policy.

Doz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4958 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I hope someone will help me with this potential issue. I purchased a 22" alba lcd tv from argos in November 2009, Just recently the tv has developed dead or stuck pixels at the top centre and in some of the coners of the screen and as it is still under the manufacures waranty (3 months left) so i decided to firstly ring Argos customers services to see if i could get it fixed or replaced. They asked me a few questions and asked where the faulty pixels were in the screen and i explained where they were to which they replied "unfortunatly thats the problem with modern lcd tv's of today they develop dead pixels and unless the dead pixels are in the centre of the screen Argos policy states they will not replace the tv or send an engineer to fix it! They advised me to pop into my local argos store and ask them to see if they could do anything for me but it was at the descrection of the store if they replace or repair it.

I have'nt been into the store yet as i thought i would see if there is anything anyone could advise me on before visiting my store and what to say.

Also is this within their legal rights to do this or are they trying to pull a swift one?

Thanks in advance.

Probably a more technical answer than you were hoping

There is an international standard for which LCD screens must meet in regards to dead pixels. It all depends on how many dead pixels you have and how far apart they are to be classified as a fault.

Some manufacture offer a free from dead-pixel policy unfortunately Alba is not one of them, as a note Argos is both the manufacturer and retailer of the TV (Alba is an Argos brand).

The ISO is as below: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9241#ISO-9241-302.2C_303.2C_305.2C_307:2008_pixel_defects

Class 1 panels permit any or all of the following:

1 full bright (“stuck on white”) pixel

1 full dark (“stuck off”) pixel

2 single or double bright or dark sub-pixels

3 to 5 “stuck on” or “stuck off” sub-pixels (depending on the number of

each)

I am assuming that this is the ISO standard Argos have set for the TV and should be the basis you go by, by stuck on/off sub-pixels it means ones that are red / green / blue and not just fully white or fully black. If the TV has in excess of 5 dead/stuck pixels than it would be faulty and Argos should repair/replace it. If its less you than it being faulty is up to opinion.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Thanks for your quick reply blitz. The tv has about 5-6 black pixels, one being about 1" down from the top centre and the others, some of them are in what looks like pairs in two other places near the corners top right and bottom right about an inch from the frame so judging by that info you gave me the tv should be eligable for replacement or repair.

• 1 month later...