Freecycle: Green or mean?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4138 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was wondering what peoples experiences of Freecycle are good or bad?

I've just had a run-in with a moderator of my local one. I had the audacity to request a fluorescent strip light and the request was rejected because although I named the town I had neglected to narrow the location down to a specific area. So I sent another request stating the town + North, East or West, again this was rejected as not being specific enough although it didn't matter to me where I picked it up from. Apparently this 'jobsworth' moderator is so concerned about the environment he/she was worried about the amount of petrol I might use because the pick up area was too general.

The daft thing is this particular city has a population of 262,400 persons so hardly a great Metropolis or Conurbation & from where I live I could cycle to any part of it within 20 mins. :lol:

• 2 years later...

I've had dozens of excellent results on freecycle, getting and giving. I furnishished my entire place pretty much from there , including the kitchen, the hoover, the table, chairs, sofa. Yes I have encountered the over zealous moderator too, i think every group has to have one of those, must be in the terms and conditions!

not had good experience and gave it up after while, but still getting loads of emails from it, they now go in my spam!

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

I was wondering what peoples experiences of Freecycle are good or bad?

I've just had a run-in with a moderator of my local one. I had the audacity to request a fluorescent strip light and the request was rejected because although I named the town I had neglected to narrow the location down to a specific area. So I sent another request stating the town + North, East or West, again this was rejected as not being specific enough although it didn't matter to me where I picked it up from. Apparently this 'jobsworth' moderator is so concerned about the environment he/she was worried about the amount of petrol I might use because the pick up area was too general.

The daft thing is this particular city has a population of 262,400 persons so hardly a great Metropolis or Conurbation & from where I live I could cycle to any part of it within 20 mins. :lol:

Sounds almost like the moderator for the Worcester Freecycle which changed their name to Greencycle. Also will not allow you to advertise the item in adjoining areas. Biggest hassle was people stating they want an item, but never collect. We now take stuff straight to the dump as far less hassle and no hassle from over zealous moderators.