How do I know what disc to burn to?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4072 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Help out a computer thikko, please. :oops:

I've made a movie in windows movie maker, now I'm stuck!How do I know what kind of disc to buy to burn it to?

On the front of my DVD drive it says "DVD + R DL"

...further along it says "compact disc +" then "ultraspeed rewritable"

I've done it before but I can't remember for the life of me what kind of disc I used. Help!

Do I just buy a set of discs that say "DVD + R DL" on them - will they work?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

yes , seems your writer is plus + only

the Dl means dual layer if you want to use larger 8.5 gig disks

depending on what your doing to what disks you buy , for normal use its 4.7 gig single layer

DVD + R are probably your best bet, providing it's not over 2 hours long. Get them from most supermarkets.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Ok, I have some blank DVD + R discs. Didn't realise I still had them. I know they work because I've used them before, but I've managed to waste 10 so far! I keep getting an error message.

It does the encoding, then "fails to burn" (goes up to 98%)

I've tried using them as well to burn word docs, and I get "unable to complete the format".

With windows movie maker, I've gone into tools, compatibility, and unchecked all the boxes. Didn't work.

Tried updating the drivers. Still doesn't work. I'm close to throwing the damn PC out the window!

Any solutions to this?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

Do you know what version you have? If not, whilst in moviemaker, click help, then it should have an "about windows movie maker" or something similar, click that and tell me what version you are running.

Also are you trying to make a DVD that will play in a standard DVD player?

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

try this

Free DVD Creator: Create & Burn DVD from AVI DivX MPEG WMV MP4 to DVD.

problem may well be your using windows inbuit dvd / cd writing

Simultanious post there kip. I was going to sugest the same route if the movie maker is an older version. Export the movie to your hard drive and use a tool such as the one kip suggested to burn it as a DVD.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

It's version 6.0 on vista.

Thanks for that programme - I appreciate it, but unfortunately, it didn't work either.

I've also tried reducing the burn speed to "medium" and then tried "slow" - no luck.

It's version 6.0 on vista.

Thanks for that programme - I appreciate it, but unfortunately, it didn't work either.

I've also tried reducing the burn speed to "medium" and then tried "slow" - no luck.

6 is good on systems that it works on, unfortunatly it's also more tempremental... google version 2.6 (It doesn't support HD, it is more stable however which is why Microsoft released the older version for Vista) and give that a go.

Failing that, If you want me to do the encoding and burning I'll do that no problem, send me the files and I'll get on with that tomorrow... (I hope it's nothing that will make me blush!) If you host the files on a site like http://storage.to/ and PM me the link and an address to post the DVD to, I'll gladly sort it and get it off to you.

Edited by locutus

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks for the offer, but this is something I really need to fix on my pc. It won't allow me to burn my docs to disc either, which is something I've done several times before on the same dics with no problem. I think it's a problem writing rather then the movie maker itself.

It does show as working normally in device manager. I can play discs, just won't let me record them.

It seems to be more of a hardware problem than software, possibly writer part of DVD (no pun) burnt out.

Any chance of borrowing DVD writer from friend to test in your system.

On the plus side if it is defunct, they are not that expensive to replace.

:D you cannot do this by the way of bluetooth :p:D

:)

dk

Before talking about replacing the drive, some drives don't like certain brands, and some cheaper brand disk have a high fail rate when burning. If you can, try a Verbatim +r disk (they're about the best, and pretty common in shops)

Now, if that doesn't work, and you want to replace the DVD drive, it is not a hard job. The 1st bit of info we need, is it a Laptop or a standard PC?

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

It's a standard PC, labtec. I thought it might be a problem with the writer too, which is a bit disappointing - only used it a few times to burn. I'll try some other discs first. I might give uninstalling the driver a go too, it should automatically re-install on start up, perhaps it just needs that "kick" to get it going - I hope!

Failing that I'll borrow a writer to test it. Thanks guys.

Oh, Jeeee-sus!!

Right, I got it burned to a different disc. It's a wmv file. But when I try to play the DVD it comes up with all these folders which are BUP, and won't play. banghead.gif

Erm - why? Can I "fix" it so that every time I burn a wmv file, it will stay a wmv file and not convert? It's muttering some jibberish about "codecs".

It's a DVD + RW 4.7GB that I've burned it to. And now erased because it isn't doing what I want it to do. Am I being completely stupid? Please tell me that I am and that it's a quick fix....pretty please!

Convertxtodvd is brilliant at making DVD files. DVD + RW are not so good... most DVD players won't recognize it.

Try making the movie on the hard drive, then copying it to the DVD +RW.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Got the little beggar!

I decided to try another way, by playing the movie then burning "now playing" onto data disc - and it worked!

I don't know why it converted it to bup when I tried to publish it from movie maker.

Woooohoooo! Finally. As you can guess I am not the most computer literate....

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it. I kinda freak out when my PC doesn't do what I want it to.

• 2 years later...

Check on your computer the maximum write speed, then buy a DVD that has the equal write speed or lower. plus is usually for pc and - is usually for mac, but i dont think it matters with modern computers

• 2 weeks later...