Can i continue with my claim?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4872 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A little of what i had done previous to the court case.

I asked for all my bank details for last 6 years under the data protection act,althugh these took over 100 days to arrive, before they arrived i wrote a letter to clydesdale bank from a template on here asking for all my charges to be refunded,By this time the court case was about to happen and in the last letter back from clydesdale bank it told me all claims were put on hold until after the case,well we know how long that went on,after the case i heard nothing back from them, It works out with interest i am due back over £4000 if successful, what step d i take now and can i still do this? I have just had £105 of charges on my accounts this week and no doubt will have more because of this it is getting hard to clear things when these charges keep pulling me back,hpefully someone can help.

Best regards john:(

Hi John

Sorry your thread was overlooked.

The situation at the moment is that after 2 appeals, the banks managed to win the case against the OFT, but the supreme court judge suggested that there may still be scope for claims. The OFT decided not to pursue this and have given up.

To date, no-one has won a bank charges claim since the test case, but there are cases going through the courts, including some high profile ones involving Govan Law Centre, one of which is against Clydesdale.

My advice would be to hang fire claiming for now, but watch out for future developments.

If I were you I'd ditch YB and open a new basic account with another bank, or a building society (not Nationwide) and get everything transferred to that account.

Of course you'd still have an OD and would need to decide how you will sort that account out in future, but at least you can tell them that you dispute the amount that you owe due to charges etc, which in theory means that they should take no action against you.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 4 months later...

Can I just pick up on that last point, please? I have a situation whereby my overdraft with YB at the point in time they closed the account was in excess of £3,000, but the vast majority of this comprised charges over the previous 6-year term. I tried to claim this value back vii the courts and settle the difference, but after the hearing this now looks a non-option.

Meanwhile, the YB and it's solicitors are chasing me hard for the entire £3k+ sum. Can I tell them that a good proportion is still contested and discuss the differential with them; if so, on what basis? Thanks in advance of any wise words

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi sinner.

As things stand at the moment, the chances of getting the charges back are, at best, remote.

I think it is certainly worth looking at negotiating some kind of full and final settlement with them. Is it YB's in-house sols chasing you and is it all in writing?

What's Best for You?

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi

I am going to court against the Clydesdale Bank later this month for bank charges which were added after I had notified the CB that I was not working and also provided them with confirmation from the CAB debt center that I was not working. However, they ignored my letter and kept adding charges.

I am now also claiming charges back on the basis of them being unfair under the terms in consumer contracts regulations 1999 Reg 5 not 6. Like yourself I owed only 7 but now have a "debt" of over 1500. Can let you know how I get on at court and also what defense they offer if that would help you in any way to create your case,

Hi

I am going to court against the Clydesdale Bank later this month for bank charges which were added after I had notified the CB that I was not working and also provided them with confirmation from the CAB debt center that I was not working. However, they ignored my letter and kept adding charges.

I am now also claiming charges back on the basis of them being unfair under the terms in consumer contracts regulations 1999 Reg 5 not 6. Like yourself I owed only 7 but now have a "debt" of over 1500. Can let you know how I get on at court and also what defense they offer if that would help you in any way to create your case,

That's very interesting. Look forward to hearing what happens.

What's Best for You?

Hi

I have now been to court. The Clydesdale bank sent a barrister who served me with papers asking for a stike out 15 mins before the trial. When I complained to the barrister about the late delivery of papers I was told that they had emailed me a copy of the paper (only my bank has never had my email address so this was not possible).

I am going to scan in the documents and upload the barrister's defence so that anyone going to court knows in advance the cases that the barristers will use to stop the case from going ahead - it is pages long.

As I pointed out to the Judge I needed more time to check the cases used by the barrister as I have no legal background so need the internet. This was not possible and the case was dismissed. The barrister's objection to the courtcase proceeding arrived at my house four days after the case and was post dated after the case - they will play nasty.

Afterwards the Judge recomended that I complain to the Office of the Banking Ombudsman as many of my charges contravene the banking code and the Office of the Banking Ombudsman can offer compensation. I am in the process of pursuing this avenue but today received a letter from the CB demanding that all charges are paid immediately.

It would be very helpful if you could scan all the documents so we can try and work out the reason for the judges decision. I'm surprised the judge didn't allow an adjournment.

Do you know the name of the barrister?

What's Best for You?

Alternatively, convert them into a pdf format and upload that :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D