Writing to the a newspaper's editor regarding a high street retailer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5097 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

I wish to write to a newspaper editor regarding a laptop a high street retailer sold to me 2 years ago, including an extended warranty for 2 years. Long story short, the laptop sufferred from overheating issues and was returned back for service twice within 2 years. 3 weeks after the extended warranty expired, the laptop failed completely and obviously the retailer needed money to get it fixed. I quoted the sales of goods act stating it should be of good quality for considerable period of time(5-6 years as per consumer direct). Anyways, they said they wanted 130£ to fix this after a a rebate of 35% - since the age of the laptop had to be considered(2 years) - I have this statement on paper from the retailer.

I would like to know whether it is in my right to write a letter to the editor of a newspaper ( for publishing in the letter to editor column) and if I could be sued for representing my own facts and experience with the retailer. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks,

George.

I don't think they would publish it, it doesn't help your case. You are better off writing a letter to the Chief Executive stating your case in full. Since you've purchased it and within the extended warranty period it has proved to be unreliable. You can aslo tell them you are considering taking them to a small claims court, if the matter isn't resolved to your satisfaction.

I don't think they would publish it, it doesn't help your case. You are better off writing a letter to the Chief Executive stating your case in full. Since you've purchased it and within the extended warranty period it has proved to be unreliable. You can aslo tell them you are considering taking them to a small claims court, if the matter isn't resolved to your satisfaction.

The response I have received from the retailer is from the managing directors office.

Things like this happen everyday, there are much much much worse cases like this that never make the papers. Provide the details and we can help.

The next option open to you is to look at taking the case to small claims court, which would entail first sending a Letter Before Action outlined that your demand the laptop repaired free of charge by them or the cost for repair so you can have it repaired yourself.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.