Comet

ajs444
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4999 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Was looking for LCD telly last week to watch World Cup, and after trawling internet for prices and reviews, decided to take the plunge.

Whilst in Comet I saw a Sony Bravia, which had been a display model, for how long I do not know, for £410 and with extra 3 year waranty it brought price to £414.98.

Bargain I thought and promptly had it bubble wrapped, loaded into back of car, home and set up.

After 4 days I had HD box installed and picture really has not changed in quality, added to that Comet have a better offer on a brand new 40" Sony Bravia.

I have phoned Comet within 7 days and stated that I was not happy with tele, and suggested I returned it and be given full refund. They have refused to entertain this and on speaking to the store manager he says he is not taking it back as it will be then be a "USED" item!! My reply that it was used when I bought it did not change his stance.

I have said that there is a burning smell coming from the telly and have booked an engineer for Tuesday, and on telling the manager this, and asking if the smell got worse/telly caught fire, I was told to turn it off till Tuesday!!

There is a slight burning smell, which could be dust from the display time, the worry now is if they take telly away we will not have replacement. Any course of action to take?

Don\'t let the B**tards grind you down

can i advise you to send a pm to this user:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=279608

we have comet on-board here at cag

and they are very helpful.

it might not be till monday

but theywill help you i'm sure

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

just because it was a 'used, ex-display item' changes nothing, unless, you specifically signed XXX doc that waives their normal xx day money back promise or whatever thing, and you have paperwork that says so that you agreed too.

anyhow.

you nor me are comet.

lets see wht transpires

dx

Edited by dx100uk

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thread moved to Comet Forum.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Cheers Maroondevo, didn't know there was a section for Comet, but having read some of the threads I can understand why.

C'mon ye Pars.

I used to love going to East End Park ;)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Straight from their website:-

Changing your mind

If your product is brand new, unused and the box is unopened

All you need to do is take it back to a Comet store within 28 days (14 days for a computer) and we'll give you either a full refund or a gift card to the same value - it's up to you.

Don't forget to take your receipt along.

If the product is too big to easily take to the store just call our customer care people on 0844 800 95 95 and we'll arrange a collection (charges apply).

If you've opened the box

Provided the product is still unused, the process is almost the same except that, for products costing £25 or more, we deduct a restocking fee (10% of the original price up to a maximum of £99) from your refund to cover the cost of repackaging and restocking.

Alternatively you can choose a gift card credit for the full purchase price.

Remember to return all the original packaging.

One more thing - we can't accept the return of any product with missing parts such as remote control, leads or manuals, so make sure you hang on to everything that came with your product. We also can't take back any pre-recorded videos, DVD, audio, video game or software products if the seal has been broken unless they are faulty.

I thought Sonys came with a standard three year guarantee. Ours had this when purchased and did not have buy any additional. Even if this Tv no longer had a 3 year warranty, under EU regualtions you have a 2 year warranty anyway but SOGA carries it even further.

AJS444 The above T&Cs you are quoting are for online orders only. If you buy from any store they is nothing in your statuary rights that gives you the right to return an item. However if there is a fault with the machine then the situation will change. You seem to be blaming the tv being on display for the burning smell but i cannot see how this would be. You need to allow the retailer to confirm if its faulty. Also you are saying you had a HD box installed and this did not change the quality of the tv you do realise it will only be on the HD channels you will notice the difference?

I hope you get this sorted but your arguement of buying it for the World cup is not going to change anything, you should have really bought it alot earlier so you could have avoided this if problems arose.

Above T&C's are on the leaflet they supply with the receipt when you purchase in store, leaflet is HMD007/3751 OCT 09. Clearly states above terms and conditions regarding returning item, no mention of any difference from ex display T&C's in booklet nor any mention on receipt.

Working for SKY I know what a HD picture looks like!

My apologies i thought the terms and conditions were referring to the website however I am at a complete loss as to why you are posting them when in your first post you quite clearly admit to using the item? Also you are blaming the item being on display for being dusty and the burning smell. As a Sky employee what would the difference be in storage conditions between your home and the store? It sounds like you have buyers remorse and are trying to get out of the transaction which is not fair on the retailer. However if the TV is faulty you will have get your wish and change your mind however the retailer are going to need to see it faulty. The moral of the story with all big purchases make 100% sure you are buying the right item there are 100s of independent reviews and price comparison websites that help you make the right purchase even if you are a complete novice.

The problem is that they say they will not take product back as it is used, even though it was used in the first place in an environment when maybe 20/50 people a day play about with it., touch it, scratch it etc. Item was not in storage it was on display (get it!!!)

To say it will collect less dust than a domestic environment is just plain stupid.

Anyway if you have nothing constructive to say stay out of the post.

Guest Comet Response
Was looking for LCD telly last week to watch World Cup, and after trawling internet for prices and reviews, decided to take the plunge.

Whilst in Comet I saw a Sony Bravia, which had been a display model, for how long I do not know, for £410 and with extra 3 year waranty it brought price to £414.98.

Bargain I thought and promptly had it bubble wrapped, loaded into back of car, home and set up.

After 4 days I had HD box installed and picture really has not changed in quality, added to that Comet have a better offer on a brand new 40" Sony Bravia.

I have phoned Comet within 7 days and stated that I was not happy with tele, and suggested I returned it and be given full refund. They have refused to entertain this and on speaking to the store manager he says he is not taking it back as it will be then be a "USED" item!! My reply that it was used when I bought it did not change his stance.

I have said that there is a burning smell coming from the telly and have booked an engineer for Tuesday, and on telling the manager this, and asking if the smell got worse/telly caught fire, I was told to turn it off till Tuesday!!

There is a slight burning smell, which could be dust from the display time, the worry now is if they take telly away we will not have replacement. Any course of action to take?

Hi ajs444,

My name’s Matt and I’m from Comet.

I was disappointed to learn of the problems that you are experiencing with your Sony television.

Although we would not normally exchange goods that have been used because you are unhappy with them, I am concerned about the problem you have reported. Therefore, if you could please email me your purchase details using the link below so that I can investigate further.

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/category/1954/Laptops/n/861+1001954

You will need to register a few details with us to be able to send your e-mail.

Thanks

Matt

The problem is that they say they will not take product back as it is used, even though it was used in the first place in an environment when maybe 20/50 people a day play about with it., touch it, scratch it etc. Item was not in storage it was on display (get it!!!)

To say it will collect less dust than a domestic environment is just plain stupid.

Anyway if you have nothing constructive to say stay out of the post.

My apologies if me not jumping to your defense offends you. However you have posted your experience and I am simply conveying what I feel is common sense. I do not understand your logic in regards to it being on display caused the fault, you mentioned the dust as it was on display could have caused the problem. You now raise points about people could have been messing with the TV, sure this would happen however the TV is designed to by used. The only problem with this is it would by on more than if it was in a home, which is by the by when they should last up to six years. As for marks or scratches caused by people touching it, I would be confident that when you was making your big purchase you would have throughly inspected it to make sure it is of satisfactory quality. My original opinion of this still stands, which i am sorry if it offends you, however this may help you learn in future to be more careful.

Hi Matt, link does not work, reference number for incident

Order 1022-6078058 Cm refused refund on display tv.

[incident: 100622-000037)

Nick Hanson was the contact.

Well been full circle here, after getting loads of help from Comet Response, television was going to be changed for a brand new boxed SONY, with me paying any difference in cost. Was even taking my old Toshiba as a trade in, BUT NO, Manager wants his commission and has insisted I take out a 3 year extended warranty on the New Television at a cost of £100+!!!

Definitely not happy and have told them so.

thats almost blackmail

infact i think its against trading law to force you to take out extended warranty....bit like the ppi law now.

dx

and they

Sony TVs came with a 3 year warranty as standard last year but don't knwo if it was a special promotion. However either way under EU rules minimum of 2 years but under our own SOGA 6 years. The manager is trying to con you. What Buzby suggest may work but then getting them to refund the money coudl be a problem.

Awful behavior from the manager, I would have another word with the store reminding them what was agreed with by Matt. If the manager does not comply you will have to raise a complaint against him. The decision has been made over his head he does not have the luxury of backtracking. If you go into the store bring documentation of your dealings with Matt and call the customer services whilst your in the store.

Sony TVs came with a 3 year warranty as standard last year but don't knwo if it was a special promotion. However either way under EU rules minimum of 2 years but under our own SOGA 6 years. The manager is trying to con you. What Buzby suggest may work but then getting them to refund the money coudl be a problem.

Comet are not the insurer, I believe it is D&G (Domestic & General group) that supply the service. The first the 'manager' will know is when his commission is clawed back the following month! :)

Was just setting up my DVD and going through instruction book, SONY state TV is covered for 2 years by them, obviously not ex display though.

Extended warranty can be cancelled within 45 days of purchase as long as you have not used it, on T&C's supplied by Comet.