University Tuition Fees - Dca Advice

kate999
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5131 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Could anyone please give me advice on this issue - I am completely stuck and need some guidance - thank you in advance!

After completing my 1st year of university I was advised by the Finance department that I needed to pay for my tuition fees - £1075.00

I thought that I had these funded for me by the government - but as I was repeating the 1st year I had to pay this. I did not realise this and finished the 1st year - I was only notified that I owed the Fees in the Summer before I was due to start the 2nd year. As a result I I was not allowed to start the 2nd year till they were paid. I had to drop out.

Eventually the outstanding fees were sent to a DCA - Optima Legal - I made an arrangement to pay a min payment of £5 per month. After a couple of years I received a letter advising me I owed over £1500. I couldn't understand how I owed them more than I started with.

I rang and they sent me a statement of my payments - and a separate letter saying they charge 4% interest - x amount of fees - xx amount of charges etc and interest to date.

I was never ever advised of there interest/charges/fees etc - I don't know where I stand -

Do I have to pay all the charges/interest etc?

Checking my credit report nothing has shown up from them at all as it was my student fees?

Can anyone give me any advice? Where do I stand legally?

PPI REFUNDS

HALIFAX - Loan PPI full refunded + 8%

HALIFAX - Credit Card PPI full refund + 8%

EGG - WON!

MARBLES/HFC - N1 Submitted

MORGAN & STANLEY - [/WON!]

CREDIT CARD CHARGES REFUNDS

HALIFAX - Credit Card Charges full refund + 8%

MARBLES/HFC - N1 Submitted

EGG -WON!

BARCLAYCARD - WON!

BARCLAYCARD 2 -WON!

MORGAN & STANLEY - Full refund + CI

CAG has been amazing and a real God send! Thank you so much to all the people who help to make this the place it is and dedicate their time to help people like me! Please donate to help keep this site alive! It's Priceless!!!!!

Do I have to pay all the charges/interest etc?
Not unless they were expressly stated in any agreement you signed. A debt collector cannot add their charges or interest onto a debt.

Make them prove a debt exists and they have the right to collect, send them this; http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt Do not sign the request.