Hammy has friends, clue, ones called remi :)

loopinlouie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5024 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Told you I wasnt safe outside:eek: Well we went to pets at home again and remember us talking about rats and rehoming. Well.......

When we went in last time there were three rats baby brothers who were ready for sale, apparantly they cant sell them as they have respiritory problems, which a lot of rats have anyhow I am told, but they needed to find them a home.

A couple were looking at them and handling them and I asked could I hold one and they were cute, very cute like large cotton wool balls. The couple didnt take them and well we did.

Remi

Snuffles, as keeps sneezing and

Cappy, short for cappuchino as he is albino but for a stripe of cream.

Any how they are albino apart from remi who has a brown head.

My son loves them, and so do I:D

They are only 16 weeks old and have to be kept together and they are in a huge cage with the usual rat run tubes.

Remi keeps pushing balls of food up the tube and cant work out why it keeps comming back down, very entertaining.

Now I know some of you caggers mentioned you have these intelligent creatures, so just wanted some advice on snuffles, who keeps sneezing, any advice. Apparantly the vet has checked them over and they are not on medication so any advice appreciated.

You might do better in the Vet's Forum.

I'll move the thread there.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

All three eating, just the one is sneezing, less so when asleep, so wondered if it is a stress thing. I am going to keep an eye and have found info on the web that if develops certain symptoms to go to vet as in eyes and nose, but they seem okay.

Cute little thing just wants to sleep in the hammock at the moment.

Son is using paper based cat litter bio catolet which is supposedly better for rats with breathing problems, did notice yesterday they were kept in cage on saw dust, so wondered if that what the problem was.

Any advice regarding baby rats appreciated.

Never thought I would be lovng some rats, one fell asleep with its bum hanging out the activity tube. Bad sneezing from the timid one, but eating and drinking fine still and seems better during the day.

Maybe not to many people have rats after all, but guessing a lot of them are called remi.

When I had my ratty boys I used the paper cat litter as the saw dust or wood based litter made my thugs sneeze.

Tesco and Asda both do their own kind of paper based which is just as good as any named brand.

Our's were called Ash and Simi, and before that we had a Fidget, Sway, Freda and Spike!!!

Hi, cleaned them out last night and used a hoover to get all litter out and the rats came down to the same level, wernt even frightened.

Noticed today they are all going the loo in the same corner of the cage, so my babies are learning.

Remi, cappi and snuffles say hello:D

Will try tesco litter, much cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had rats for years, never use wood based litter, he dust plays havoc with their respiratory systems, get them out to play LOTS, they will get bored very easily

They will also learn tricks very easily

mine go nuts for banana and cooked chicken, is the only time they get huffy with each other lol

as for the sneezing, a quick trip to the vets for some liquid anti-biotics should solve that easily :)

are they top eared or dumbos? my first pair (cheeky and Charlie) were top ears and second pair (maxeh and morteee) are dumbos and look utterly adorable :D

one other thing, pine based sawdust and citrus fruits can cause tumours in Rats so make sure you avoid those and make sure all are definitely male or you will very quickly end up with a houseful lol

claim v natwest WON!

all posts made by myself are without prejudice

• 3 months later...

Sorry not replied before now. They are dumbos and adorable and the two boys are big now, adorably big. Thing is we have another cage with two girls in their now, they are more timid and need more handling.

You see rodents are addictive. My daughter looks after them all well daily and cleans out regulary so when her syrian adopted hammy died due to old age(older than even we thought)but he had four months of love and showed no signs he was sick, bonkers on the wheel, I let her have another. Thing is (there i go again) I came home with three gerbils as well as have a gerbilarium already. So I now have sherlock, poirot and alan who are amazing at building a den in the sawdust, along with of course daughter has poppy.

No more I promise but these baby boys are in my room and if I cant sleep I watch them playing.

Back to our dumbos, we use catolet paper pellets as it has no odor or dust and as long as cages kept clean there is no smell, apart from when the naughty ones pee on the plastic shelf, but baby wipes cope with that.

So really I have the fun of watching them and kids clean etc....very good that way, pity their bedrooms dont get the same love xx

With gerbils as they get older can have fun letting them have glass fish tank and son can build runner top, found site on internet and as hes studying carpentry this year at college, I will drop a hint (last year got a lovely copper piped helicopter courtesy of plumbing) will ask for gerbil run topper for tank hahaha x

I know I know no more lots of little critters need our love now, funny thing is I am paranoid and at the till was a rspca officer, had to keep telling myself for goodness sake havnt got them home yet, hes not after you:oops:, but its me and uniforms feel like thier staring at me.

Edited by loopinlouie