Been robbed by a catering company

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5143 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please excuse if this has not been posted the in the right post.

I organised my sister's wedding and paid a substantial amount to a caterer to provide the food, about 50 more people turned out at the wedding but as expected this would have happened and you would assume that the caterers would make extra , i had guests that left the wedding without having anything to eat, food that came to the table wasnt even enough to go around and at these sort of functions there is even food left over, the day was a disaster, not only was it a disaster but highly embaressing . I paid £17.50 per head to which i think i have been robbed.

I had a meeting with the caterers and they stated there were too many people but it was their responsibility to ensure there was more than adequate food, i found it very insulting as his way of obatining a resolution was to cook food for me and my familiy, i had clearly stated that i wanted to be compensated, he eventually offered £200, i refused to accept, with him offering this it does show his guilt

I am seeking help on how to pursue compensation, i have contacted consumer advice as trading standards dont deal with individual complaints.

I would kindly like any help there is from people that have been in this position or from a professional who can guide me in the right direction.

If there were 50 extra people then there wouldn't have been enough to go around. They were contracted to supply for the number you paid for and the guest list is under your control. Why do think the caterer should have a crystal ball and supply £875 worth of extra food for nothing?

Have to agree. Food is expensive. Caterers will work to the figures you provide, a 5% variation is usually allowable (and based on some not liking the main meal and wanting an alternative). Expecting them to provide 50 additional meals is unrealistic, especially as who would pay for this? Even if could accommodate it - how would they know...? When the folk walked in? In in a hotel, they might possibly manage to juggle things from stock to hand, but if outside caterers, no chance.

I think you're not playing fair with them.

it was their responsibility to ensure there was more than adequate food,

No it wasn't. It was your responsibility to to provide an accurate number of guests.

I wouldn't say the caterer robbed you but that your were trying to rob the caterer by paying for 50 and bringing a 100.

Edited by Conniff

Sorry, tight-lipped but the way that I see it is that YOU gave the caterer the wrong information.

YOU told the caterer what you wanted, who then forfilled his side of the contract by supplying what YOU asked for.

You can hardly blame the caterer for NOT supplying what you DIDN'T ask for.

Face it. YOU got your sums wrong and now you expect someone else to bail you out.

Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear.

Chalk it down to experience and move on.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Can you add more to endorse your claim to compensation, discussions with caterer as to numbers or is it as you have already said, it was your assumption they would be able to accommodate the extra 50.

The replies may seem a bit harsh but it's only a reflection on the info given.

Seems you are more angry at yourself and want someone to take the blame. I could understand if a couple of people extra but 50. The catering co has offered 200.00, I would take it and move on. They probably just want an end to the matter.

If you go to court you will lose most likely and get nowt.

I understand and respect everyones opinions. When i was organising the event my biggest concern was the overall turnout out, so i limited my guests to 150 , my biggest concern as i highlighted to the caterer was if more people had turned up , the caterer assured me that this would be fine as there is extra food that is made, gosh he even confirmed that food would be left over, not once did i take advantage of this by increasing the guest list, i had up to 40 kids that were at the venue whos appetite cannot be compared to an adults, caterer assured me that food would be left over, he also assurmed me that if they had noticed that extra people had turned up they would take steps to assure more than adequate food was there to accomodate the guests, caterers unit was down the road from where the venue was so when we had noticed more guests had turned up i highlighted my concerns, our guess was that there were aronud 200 people, caterer assured me that everything would be fine as they would bring more food over, that had taken a big wieght of my shoulders but why did people then leave the venue without having anyhthing to eat . Caterer assured me that everything would be fine even if extra people had turned up as steps would be put in to ensure everyone had been fed so my quiestion to them was why did soem guests leave the wedding without having anyhthing to eat.

I remember years ago when I got married, there were extra comming to the evening do. For each I got a reply yes to, I paid the cost per person. When sending out invites and as weddings cost so much, if you did not know they were comming as in they did not give a deffo yes, then they shouldnt expect food other than left over from allocated number.

Its almost the same as an advert on facebook to come to a house party, thousands turn up and wreck the place;)

Of course they then get upset the house is trashed.

So would you have been prepared to pay him another 50 x £17.50 if everyone had eaten?

That's the important point. I can't imagine any caterer contracting to feed 150 for a price and then agreeing it covered 50 more if necessary. They probably catered for an extra 15.

When did you inform the caterer there were 50 extra mouths to feed? In order for you to have a valid complaint you needed to let them know asap before food was served and pay an agreed price for the extra. If you didn't realise there were so many gatecrashers until after the food had run out it's your fault.

i worked in restaurants that also do bufets for functiona and know from experiance that people like yourself are the worst kind of customers, ive had people booked in for a 50 people buffet and then 3x the amount of people turn up and they wonder why theres not enough food.

perhaps you had a lot of people at your wedding who took advantage of the free food and piled their plates up with 4 peoples worth of food and thats a reason the food ran out?

you cant blame the catering company for not being able to predict the number of extra guests that turned up, maybe when they said there will be enough food left over they assumed maybe 10% of extra guests not 33% extra as thats quite a lot of people to allow for. perhaps you should be blaming yourself not the catering company

I think I agree with everyone else, was this a buffet or sit down meal?

Beacuse if it was a buffet and you feed an extra 50 people, and only a few went without food enough food then you have done pretty well.

just think of the 40 meals that would have been wasted because he really had that much extra food avaliable, you would have wanted to take it all home and 40 meals is one heck of a lot of food to have.

From when the guests had turned up there was at least three hours till the food was served, both myself and the caterers looked at each other and concerns at that time were highlighted and raised about the amount of people that had arrived, caterers had told me not to worry as there was more than enough food to go around, when i had established that the food was running out i was then told not to worry as more food was being brought over, but people still left the venue without having anyhthing to eat , but i was assured that this wasnt the case, but i have spoke to people regarding this and yes people did leave without having anyhting to eat.

Yes i was more than happy to cover the adequate costs for the extra food that would have been prepared , but what extra food, people had left the venue without having anyhting to eat , after the venue the caters advised me personally that everyone that was there had something to eat but this was a lie, as the caterers confirmed its their responsibility, gave me all sorts of gauruntees that i would not have to worry about anything , even if extra guests had turmed up they stated that they have resources in place to ensure everything goes to plan but it didnt, i cant help if extra guests had turned up, these concerns were all raised at the beginning.

I'm not sure if you had a contact written up for this event..

But if you did and it says 150 were to be feed, and you feed 150 which bit of the contract do you think the catering company broke?

'I cant help it if other guest turned up '

Whoever planned the wedding is responsible for this, either open invites without need for confirmation were given or people turned up who wernt invited, neither of which the catering company is responsible for too.

As far as who said this and that as in coping, unless in writing to that affect you havnt got a leg to stand on, sorry.

Yes i was more than happy to cover the adequate costs for the extra food that would have been prepared

Did you agree this formally with someone who was authorised to amend the contract? Did you do a headcount? You've said in an earlier post there were 'around 200' so there may have been more. How many extra meals did you agree to pay for? Was the food served or did people help themselves? And to me the most confusing of all - why did you allow so many gatecrashers into a private function?

Take the £200 and run as fast as you can before they change their mind. If it were me, you wouldn't get a penny, why should these people be out of pocket because of the incompetence of the organiser? You let a private function turn into a free for all and expect them to carry the weight of it? Personally, I'd see you in court before I gave you one penny.

Oh, and before you think he has "accepted his guilt" by offering you £200, no he hasn't. He has at best offered you a good will gesture to compensate you for your disappointment. At worst, he's bunging you £200 so you'll go away and let him get on with his business. Neither version is an acceptance or implication of acceptance of liability.

Yes there was a headcount, as i stated before there was a gap of almost three hours before food was served, at that time guests had snacks and refreshments, and the caterers assured me that everything would be fine as more food would be brought over. There was a headcount, both by myself and the caterers and we both counted 200 people, i said almost 200 as some guests may have been in the toilets or outside in the gardens. When the contract was finalised again i had raised the issue in relation to what if more people had turned up, his comment to that was there is always extra food, i knew his exemption to that was for maybe 5 or 10% , he stated his facilities were not that far from the venue so if concerns were raised about the turnout then more food would be prepared, during the function when more people had turned up we both had discussed our concerns and i made it very clear that i would be happy to cover the costs as i did not in anyway expect him to be flexible and expect him to cover for the inconveniances arised by myself, when this was discussed he then said arrangements will be put in place to arrange more food.

The contact was to feed 150 people, i made it very clear that i would cover the costs for extra guests so in my estimation that would be for an extra 50 or so people, food had been served on to tables.

Unless any of the above was written into the contract you will lose. You can of course take them to court, pay the fee but you have no proof and an indication of opinion from this thread should tell you, it doesnt look good.

All the company has to say is paid for 150, 200 turned up.

I also dont think it was a well organised wedding to be basing food on head counts on the day, how the hecky thump has a caterer the chance to judge the food when each person eats a different ammount. They can guide it on 150 and a few, but to judge for 200, no way as you didnt pay for them in advance.

I also think the title of this thread is wrong, you wernt robbed you made a mistake you wont accept was yours.

so in my estimation that would be for an extra 50 or so people

Would suggest if you are ever tasked with organising anything similar again you stick to a menu of loaves and fishes. The right caterer may be able to perform the miracle you want.