A note to all nationwide customers with direct debits

Sev
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I thought i'd post regarding a what I would call ... lively discussion with a nationwide collections staff member yesterday.

I and my partner have a joint account with NWide and our own current accounts.

I had a direct debit which was due out on the 21st, a sunday and so I moved the funds over from our joint account so that there would be funds ready for the new working week, where the DD would action on monday morning.

I was surprised to see that the Nationwide had returned my direct debit as unpaid. I filed a complaint on their website and within a week the only reply I got was that they were cutting my overdraft by 30% in the middle of the month.

I rang the pointless five minutes of number entering automation, only to have to give my account number again over the phone which always starts to make my blood boil and I got this excuse:

when a direct debit falls on a weekend, the 'system' looks at the account balance from the close of business the previous week as it's figure. (it was 10 pounds short at close of business the friday before).

So, irrespective of you having funds in the account on the monday, your direct debit will be returned. You'll be charged for this on the 15th of the following month.

Now my account's behavior has not changed since I opened it, and now all of a sudden I am not in a position for my current overdraft facility. Sounds like bullying to me.

I asked the motivation of reducing the overdraft in the middle of the month:

Would It not be more prudent to do this at the end of the month when pay has cleared through the account?

IF you don't have the funds to cover your overdraft then you shouldn't be using it, after all it's not a right nor is it a means of borrowing.

er.. right, so why offer it and why would anyone with 'means' ever have it to start with?

Once again, the banks punish the normal people for not being wealthy.

Needless to say, I have recorded the conversation. :mad:

THe DD thing has happened to us over the last few months too. I was always under the impression that if the DD date fell on a none working day then the DD would then be taken on the next working day after.

This has happened with my NatWest account also and I'm sure it's a new thing as they never used to do this.

Thanks for the post!

• 2 weeks later...

Re the overdraft reduction they are supposed to give you notice of this 30 days I believe. If you weren't notified of this and that is the reason for the charge it should be waived, at least that was the procedure when I was there.

I certainly wouln't accept thier excuse of well our systems are a bit crap, as an excuse for the charge, which is how I read what they are saying.

It is vitally important when you did the transfer. If you did it Sunday, and the DD was due out Monday I think most people would agree the charge is unreasonable.

However if you did the transfer on the Monday then the DD would be returned as such payments are processed just after 12 (midnight).

Complain and go to FOS if needed it'll cost them money and I believe you have a good case as thier actions seem unreasonable to me.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.