Computer says Nooooooooooo.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5175 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I will try to make this as uncomplicated as possible.

A friend of mine got a laptop on a 24 month mobile contract. The laptop is now 14 months old and out of warranty. Recently, the thing went dead so he took it to our local repair shop. I have never heard of a customer leaving there satisfied.

First he was told it was a virus and would cost £60 for a repair, my friend agreed. He picked the laptop up and he took it home. After turning it on, all seemed well. Ten minutes later, it went dead again. There didn't seem to be any power going into it at all.

He took it back to the shop and the technician said that his Motherboard had gone and he could not fix it. He gave him his £60 back.

After hearing this, I told him that I would look at it for him and he had nothing to lose. I tried turning it on, and nothing happened. I then plugged it in, and still nothing. After messing about with the wire, the charge light came on the laptop. I left it for 5 minutes and then turned it on. Everything lit up and I heard the fan start up. The screen stayed black and after about 30 seconds, it turned itself off again. Now the charge light was not lit and since then, I have not been able to get it lit.

I am sure I heard a slight crackling noise coming from the adapter but cannot be positive. He won't spend anything on a new adapter to see if that is what the problem is, just in case he is wasting his money (he's on benefits).

I could still turn it on with the small charge it did get, but the same thing happened each time (Everything started up including the webcam light but went off after 30 seconds). I am not sure if this is because it never got enough of a charge or whether there really is a serious problem with it.

The laptop is an Advent that runs on Vista.

Hope you can run some ideas past me.

Cheers guys.

PS. I don't know anyone that has a spare charger to lend me that would fit the machine, but he told me that the man in the shop had tried one of there's and could still get no power into it. Even though I managed to get power into it for a short time.

Edited by SOD'EM

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Thanks PGH that site looks good.

I am just wondering though whether it is a Motherboard problem or not. As I said, the techy guy in the shop could get no power at all into it, but I did.

What I mean to say is "I know that this guy is rubbish and should not even have a shop, so I don't think it is the mother board."

After messing about with the wire' date=' the charge light came on the laptop. I left it for 5 minutes and then turned it on.[/quote']

I am sure I heard a slight crackling noise coming from the adapter

These two statements are the clearest indication of the probable fault; that being the adapter.

Working through it logically, the issue is clearly power, or rather a lack of it. Assuming this is correct, the fault can only lie in one of four places; either it's the motherboard that's fried, it's the power adapter inside the laptop (the hardware that takes the connected voltage, then distributes it out to the necessary components), the external power adapter that connects the laptop to the mains, or your mains power supply.

It's not your mains supply, since you have power and have been able to get some life out of it.

It's almost certainly not the motherboard for the same reason (if the motherboard was fried you'd likely get nothing).

That leaves the internal and external adapters. The fact you thought you heard a crackling from the adapter suggests it is the external adapter that is not providing a proper flow of power. The fact you said it appeared to function after you messed about with the wire only highlights this.

It still could be something inside the laptop, but from everything you've said, my guess would be the external adapter.

I can understand that he doesn't want to shell out for a new adapter, but he may have to. In terms of testing, you should also be aware that some brands of laptop - and Advent may be one such - have unconventional power requirements in terms of charge. I've also seen laptops before that point blank refuse to turn on unless one of the relevant company's own branded power adapters is connected.

Of course, you could always get one of the adjustible adapters that allow you to set the delivered charge, but that's probably going to be more expensive than simply replacing the suspected faulty one.

Edited by Tezcatlipoca

Of course, you could always get one of the adjustible adapters that allow you to set the delivered charge, but that's probably going to be more expensive than simply replacing the suspected faulty one.

That depends.... I know SOD'EM has been on these forums quite a bit discussing laptops. An adjustable universal car charger may not be a bad purchase for him, especially as I distinctly remember him getting / wanting a nice powerful gaming laptop. He could take it out and about (I'm assuming a car in this equation, or I may just be barking up the wrong tree... or just plain barking :p)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks all, I think I will have a look on the net to see how much a replacement charger would be.

I took the serial number off the charger. It is a

Delta Electronics ADP-65HB AD

I am actually also wondering if the shop gave him the correct adapter back, as he hasn't got a clue?

I am actually also wondering if the shop gave him the correct adapter back' date=' as he hasn't got a clue?[/quote']

Impossible to say, really. You don't mention the exact model of the laptop, but a quick check of teh internets suggests most Advent laptops require a 20v 3.25A charge, which is exactly what that adapter is meant to provide...

...which realistically only goes to further underline the suspicion that the adapter itself is faulty, rather than it being the wrong type or any other component being to blame.

My sentiments exactly Tez.

What would be the most expensive problem? Would that be the Mother Board?

He did originally take it to Curry's as that is where he got it from. But they wanted £200 just to look at it. I don't thing these mobile Broadband laptops are worth much more than that altogether. Another problem is the fact that he still has to pay the £30 a month until his contract expires.

The laptop is under 2 years old, I'd say look along the lines of manufacturers warranty.

Check around the Currys/Dixons - The Consumer Forums part of the forum.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

are we really saying we want sod 'em to have a variable power supply that he can set the voltage/current himself on depending upon the laptop he is working on and ofcourse have to put the right connector the right way around on the end [up the hole + or - as required]

blimey thats a very big gamble:D

aren't we busy enough here with his laptop posts already.....

;)

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

are we really saying we want sod 'em to have a variable power supply that he can set the voltage/current himself on depending upon the laptop he is working on and ofcourse have to put the right connector the right way around on the end [up the hole + or - as required]

blimey thats a very big gamble:D

aren't we busy enough here with his laptop posts already.....

;)

dx

If only I could get hold of one.

A joke about SOD'EM a day keeps the doctor away.;)

a chance that should not be taken DX, :eek: the amount of kit I have seen damaged because of the use of these on many things,

sod'em do you know a sparks / electrical engineer that can meter the PSU for you e.g, someone that has a multi-meter and do a basic check , i,e is the voltage of the PSU above 20v etc , a good starting point for you

• Haha 1

I am just looking through a few cases now, results vary. According to Curry's, it's nothing to do with them as the laptop is over 12 months old.

as i've posted on the other thread

utter rubbish!!!

it IS their problem.

SOGA applies

even for free gifts given away with another products you paid for.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

oh and try maplins if you do want one of those PSU's

dx

and they

Is it wise for him to just ask to speak to the manager and state that he is not happy and quote something from SOGA?

SOGA has been covered by a number of consumer programs on the box.

This link is to a clip of the One show that is pertinent. There are some template letters on the web as well.

If it were me, I'd try talking to the store manager first and if he won't play ball, I'd complain to trading standards making sure that the store knows I'm doing this. I would also write to the store and put them on notice that I expect them to make things right. Its always better to have an audit trail if it goes to court.

MSE has a page devoted to SOGA as does Which.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we have a friendly tech guy coming onboard to help

dx

and they

Nice one? Just seen on the other thread. This is great.

Had to copy and paste this from my reply on the other thread:D

Thanks for that chris.

He has took it to a computer sales/repair shop even though I wouldn't have advised him to go to that particular one. He was told that he had a virus and it would cost £60 to have it fixed, which he agreed to (this is before I knew anything about it). When he picked up the laptop he took it home and started it. It came on fine for about ten minutes and then went dead again.

He goes back to the shop and explains. The guy then takes it away again and comes back and says that his motherboard has gone and promptly gave him his £60 back. He has since just left it sitting in the house for weeks until I heard about it.

I takes it home with me and sure enough, it is dead for a short while and then after fiddling with the wire, the charge light was flashing. I left it for about 5 minutes and then turned the machine on. Everything lit up and the cooling fan started up. The screen stayed black and then after about 30 seconds, it died completely.

Messed with the wire again for ages to no avail. I could still start the machine but it would only come on for 30 seconds again, and the screen would stay blank. I think that the 5 minutes of charge allowed that to happen.

What I was wondering is, surely after 30 seconds, something would have shown on the screen before it shut itself down. That is why (although it all points to a power fault), I am not sure if it is the motherboard. I wouldn't know the symptoms:confused: of a knackered motherboard? ______________

Assuming the laptop is a common brand the shop still stocks, I think it would be worth your while popping down and asking if you could plug your laptop into one of their chargers just to varify that it's not your charger thats at fault.

Most shops wouldn't have a problem with this, I know I do it for customers all the time.

This is a good answer on your other thread!

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

I agree with the post re using a charger at the store.

When I had a similar problem, it was because the motherboard had snapped slightly at the power input socket - quite a common fault due to the design of the power socket.

Managed to get another charger which does work, so he does need a new one.

However, the other problem still exists. When you turn on the laptop, everything fires up foe about 20 seconds and then it dies. You can even hear the fan starting and all the lights come on. The screen stays black all the way through this process.:confused:

urm... more than just a psu.

ok well time to return it then.

dx

and they

Just to double check... How long has it been charged for? What happens after 20 seconds? Are you sure the screen is not set to an external monitor?

to

C.A.G. Toolbar