debt in Eire

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5197 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am looking for some advice, all help greatly appreciated.

I currently have a couple of loans o/s with an Irish bank now living in the UK and I am being chased by GDR . I have always been extremely good at paying back debts but due to varying reasons fell behind and rather than tackling the issue head first have buried my head in the sand. Last payment on debts would have been late 08.

I have had some calls to my work place threatening me from the debt agency.

My finances have not improved greatly but would be willing to work out a payment plan, however having read some of the comments on this site I am not sure if that is wise.

What steps can GDR take to recover this debt. I have not given them any info over the phone and said I would only correspond by letter. The guy I spoke to became very threatening but I refused to co-operate over the phone.

All help greatly appreciated

Hi Dilinja01

What is the background?

Did you live in Ireland and move here?

How did they know where to contact you in the UK?

Mine was with the BOI, and i stupidly made arrangements with them before I moved to UK to continue paying from overseas. This was a nightmare so it was easier to pass the debt to Red Castle for them to collect.

Once I came across this site I went through the process of CCA requests which they failed to comply with on time, so I stopped paying them.

Needless to say the phone calls were relentless, and threatening at times, but just refuse to deal with them on the phone..simple as that. They cannot do ANYTHING!!!

They will threaten home visits etc... but there are plenty of templated letters here to respond to almost anything they throw at you. I would suggest you find the one to stop the constant phone calls firstly.

The Consumer Forums - Harassment

Even though in the end they managed to obtain a copy of my agreement from the BOI, i simply changed my PAYG sim card... and I have heard nothing since...NOTHING! That was nearly 2 years ago now.

I reckon it would have been too costly to pursue this debt which to my knowledge cannot really be enforced in the UK by a British Court as the agreement would have probably been created under the IRISH Consumer Credit Act, and unless I am very much mistaken, not under the jurisdiction of the British Courts!

Hopefully someone can confirm this?

They will kick and scream at you for the moment, just remain strong and calm, Send them a CCA request, and wait to see what happens.