Nationwide changing my bank card

bmartin1uk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5144 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Not sure where to put this, but i hope someone can help.

I have had a cash card with Nationwide since 2006. I opened the account so that i could withdraw money out abroad without being charged. Since then Nationwide have moved the goal posts a little and charge 1%, still the lowest around.

I recently received a letter in the post telling me that between June and September this year, all cash cards are being 'upgraded' to a cash card+, which will allow me to use the card in shops and online. However, i will no longer be able to withdraw money abroad.....WTF!! Not 'we'll be charging you more', you just wont be able to. So now i have to close my account and move to another bank.

How are they able to do this? It might sound like a minor thing to many people, but it was the sole reason i opened the account in the first place.

I'm assuming they have the legal right to bend me over and give it to me, but i'd love to be told otherwise.

Anyone able to tell me that they cant change my account?

Cheers

Ben

I don't know, it would seem to be a significant change, but that just gives you the right to cancel the contract. I think there is an element of deception in saying we are improving your account whilst taking a valuable facility away.

I'd complain anyway for what its worth, maybe if thousand of people do so it might be discussed over coffe by thier millionaire CEO.

I think there has been a conscious decision by Nationwide and Halifax to get rid of certain customers. I have no evidence for this, just a hunch. I don't believe a company could make such a change and not expect a backlash.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

• 1 month later...
I think there has been a conscious decision by Nationwide and Halifax to get rid of certain customers. I have no evidence for this, just a hunch. I don't believe a company could make such a change and not expect a backlash.

I work for Nationwide and this is spot on. Cash card customers make no money for the company and, as a result, the senior execs are trying to weed them out. That's also why the counter reduction schemes have come in. The more cash card customers we have to see on the till, the less time we get to spend with "good" customers, i.e. Customers that we are able to try and sell credit cards/mortgages/loans to.

However much you complain, though, I can't see it changing. A lot of branch staff have been complaining about the changes ever since they started coming in about two years ago.