£1300 charges on a step account

crockie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Looking for some advice please :D

My OH had a step account with Natwest for a couple of years or so, which barr a few small incidents was kept running smoothly and was marked as satisfactory on his credit report.

In aprox July last year he had a falling out with them, in that they changed the way charges are debited to the account. We had received no notification of this, although they were insistant that we had.

Due to being very unhappy about the way this was dealt with OH decided to close the account. To cut a very long story short this "step account" is now marked as a default on credit file and Natwest/Allied are chasing him for over £1300. To our knowledge ALL of this £1300 is made up of charges.

It appears that direct debits were not cancelled and the account was not closed and Natwest have just continued to add charges, despite that fact that even if they had not received our letters it would be blatantly obvious that the account was no longer in use. Surely the account should have been flagged up for review before it got to £1300 overdrawn.

Where do we start trying to sort this out. I think that there is probably £2500+ worth of charges in total on this account but to be honest we are not really that bothered about past charges but would like to see if we can get the balance reduced to zero and the default removed.

Just had a look on Experian again and it states the default date as February 2010 but OH hasn't received a default notice from them.

I dont understand how they can issue a default when the entire amount they are claiming is owed is all charges.