My car has been stolen, dont know if the insurance will pay me, pls give advice! thank you!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, guys, first time to make a thread, plz give some advice.

i had a car which is a 08 bmw 3 serious m sport convertible, i put it on autotrader website and magzine for privately sale, hope can get more money back than i directly give it back to the dealer, coz im going abroad soon. and some1 phoned me the day before yesterday afternoon, ask me if he can come to c the car. and after 2 hours, he arrived my house, i took him for a test drive, and then, he ask me to park at a carpark of a bar, to check the engine and exhaust. i stopped, and he come out of the car first, check the engine, think it no problem, then he went to the back of the car, check the exhaust, he said theres some strange noise inside the exhaust, and ask me come to hear it. then i come out of the car and go to the back. at that time the engine was running, coz it has to be running when we check the engine and exhaust. he point at somewhere at the back bumper of the car, ask me put ear there to hear, suddenly, he jump into my car, reverse it, kock me down, then drive away.

i cant belive this at that moment, and i have no phones and money in my pocket, i went into the bar, ppl there were rly kind to me, they borrow me the phone to phone police and tell me where i was. and also gived me some money to go back to my home.

im with direct line insurance and got the comprehessive insurance. but i found some words on there policy, it says, they will not pay for the loss or damage to your car as a result of someone acquiring it by fraud or trickery while pretending to be a buyer, and loss or damage caused by theft or attempted theft if the keys and/or other devices which unlocks your car and/or enables your car to be started and driven is left in or on your car which is unattended, or if your car has been left unattended and not properly locked (this includes any window, roof opening, removable roof panel or hood being left open or unlocked).

im rly worried because of these 2 reasons they will not pay me. ive been with direct line for 5 years, and made no claim be4. pls give me some advice for this plz. thank you very much

Edited by tonylau

You were assualted with a motor vehicle and whilst lying dazed confused and injured (quite lucky to have not been seriously injured from the sounds) the thief then drove off.

That should mean the circumstances change from you just getting out the car and standing there and the theif getting in the drivers seat with the engine running and driving off.

Hopefully that changes the situation enough for the insurance company to pay out :)

How have the police been in all of this?

the police just do the investigat. but since now, i only spoke with them , not even one time see them. but i got the number and name of the police, who take care of this case. actually, i think they do it very slow, and if they come that area straight away when i phone them, mb can stop the theif.

and also, theres one thing ive just told the police, its when the theif and me both in the car, he told me he got a knife with him, and he knows where i live, so dont do something stupid. the reason i didnt say be4, its i worried about the he could come to my house and do a robbery. and the theif do have the key of my house and know where i lived, but yesterday, be4 i told the police this, ive get the lock changed.

#1 and #5 don't add up. In #1, you are unaware he's going to steal the car, in #5, you say that he threatened you in the car.

You're going to have to decide on one version and stick to it if you're going to get anywhere.

the first time the reason i didnt say im aware hes going to steal my car, becoz im scared, and the guy do know my address, and he has the key on the key ring with my car key together. and i still remember he drive my car reverse, knock me down, in the day time. i dont rly mean what is he means by dont do something stupid...but after dicuss with my friend, i think i already called the police and they didnt got the guy, tell the police everything should be the right thing

Edited by tonylau

i think what he means is you have forgotten to put in a MAJOR part of the story about where you say he threatened you with a knife. Not something you really forget.

There are alot of people on this forum that need genuine help and we dont need trolls taking up time and resources with problems the fisrt sign of a troll is subtle changes to the story which you wouldnt have forgotten to put in in the first place.

Also the fact your "test driver/thief" had a knife with him and threatened you with it would greatly change your situation with the insurance company in your favour

What you should do is get your story straight, then speak to your insurance and the police, bearing in mind that if you are changing your story after discovering that you wouldn't be covered in the hope that the insurance will then pay up, it is a) unlikely to wash, b) likely to land you with being charged for insurance fraud.

With all this in mind, you should think VERY carefully before you deicde how to proceed next.

Nothing else to add. Bookie, out.

so u mean im making a new story after i discovering that the insurance will not pay up? what happened here? my car has been stolen by a stranger. he threat on me and try to hurt me with my car! and i pay insurance for over 5 years with no even 1 time claim. just becoz im afraid the guy will come back to my home, i didnt tell that he threat on me at first time, so, im making this now? im being charged for insurance fraud now???

anyway, i rly hope the cops can get the theif and the car back! and believe me, if u met the theif and sell car to him, u will also lose ur car. i dont have many choices that time, do i?

"If". I said "if".

I only know what you told us. Nothing more, nothing less. Based on what you told us and how you told us, this is the best advice I can give you. Nothing more, nothing less. How you decide to go on is totally up to you. :-)

copy some1 words, I do not know what difference this makes to the insurer. Your car was taken without your consent or knowledge, nor did you "allow" it to happen.

Given what was said at the start about the discrepancy, I am wondering if he discrepancy relates to what the police are saying, if indeed that is what they are saying.

I think the insurer needs to make it's mind up about what it is they are doing.

Seems odd that despite threatening you with the knife, the guy still lured you out of the car rather than just telling you to get out....

Anyway - assuming you did not disclose what is the full story at the first oppertunity, Bookworms advice stands: Ensure the relevent people (police/insurers) have all of the correct information. They will take it from there.

okay, the fact is, one guy come to c my car, and while im taking him for a test drive, he told me he got a knife with him, and dont do anything stupid, he knows where i live. then he told me stop at a car park besides a bar, he ask me to come out of the car, leave the key in the car, and pretend to check the exhaust, and point on somewhere at the back bumper of my car, he ask me to put my ear there to listen, then he jump into the car, reverse, knock me down, the drive away. is that clear?

i told the police, there should be a camera there, but they said they dont know if can get the clear pic. if they can get it, will prove what i said. and i also told the police the way i drive to the car park, c if they can find any cctv to get some pic.

the guy not lured me out, he told me to pretend to check the car and leave the key inside the car. the reason he was doing this, now, i think he desnt want to arouse the suspicion (it was 3pm on a busy road). and also, when we where both in the car, he received some calls, he said, he will be there shotly something, i think he got plan like where to go after he took my car, and the place must be near where he took the car, thats why he didnt just steal my car at the beginning and let me drive to the place near there.

the thing i told u is truth, and i will tell u what happened next, pls keep giving me some advice. rly dont know what to do, like i told u everything here, some1 still think im making the story. i did changed some part of the story, maybe its cause a different to the insurance company, but it is a change of mind about from i dont want to tell to void the theif come back to me to i decide to tell the whole thing.

My advice, next time someone on a test drive tells you he has a knife, then gets out to check the exhaust.....thats the time YOU drive away, not get out and lie down behind the car!!!

This is a police matter, and should be dealt with by them and hopefully leads to a prosecution, for someone, insurance will be waiting to see how Police respond.