Argos Furniture Problem?

elie1977
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5170 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Back in September 2007 we bought a 3 piece leather settee from argos and it got delivered in December 2007. In August 2008 we had to call them out to come and look at the 2 seater and 3 seater as all the stitching was coming away from the back of the sofa ripping the leather, so the bloke who inspected it says he will put in his report that it is too costly and timely to repair and they will send us a new one. 2 Weeks later they brought us a new set, alls well and good until September 2009 all the settees and chair, the padding as dropped out of the arms and you can feel the wood through them all making it dangerous if someone hits there head on it? And my partner opened the zip part on bottom and there it was sponge and piece of thinnest wood you have ever seen split in 2.Phoned them up again, and they sent another bloke round to take a look, he pushed his hand into the arms where wood was, (did not do a proper inspection from underneath). Then he said yes all arms are broken in same way and some seating areas are broke (less than a year old). He said he would have to book a couple of hours down to repair them in a few weeks time. 6 weeks went by so we rung Argos to see what was happening, and they told us that his report says it was purposley done and general wear and tear, so they will not touch it, as it is our fault? It was less than a year old and it happened on all of them same fault. What do we do now as they want us to pay for an inspection from someone independent but can not afford it. HELP PLEASE?

Sorry bit long?:evil::evil::evil:

Unfortunately the next step is to pay for an independent inspection, after 6 months it is up to the customer to prove that the goods are not of a satisfactory quality as well as an inherent fault (Not wear+tear or accidental/purposeful damage).

Should this go in your favor Argos will have to reimburse the cost of the report. If they have an engineer stating purposefully done then you will need an independent report to show otherwise.

Usually I would write up lots babble about unsatisfactory quality, not fit for purpose etc, but in this case it would receive the same "report" reply

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Just wondering if i could get a copy of the report under the freedom of information act as the engineer put down that it would have to be mended?

I think it is Argos who have changed it after it as gone in as we have already had a replacement in 2008 so i think they are doing this so they do not have to give us a new one, even their inspector who had a look said Argos furniture is shody workmanship. And the sale of goods act gives you up to 6 years for manufacturers faults? And that comes from Consumer advice, who said 6 years? the frame work is strong, it is the padding inside which as all fell to bits, so i will have to scrape some cash together and pay an independent bloke?IVE BEEN ARGOOSED NOT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE?

You can send what is called a Subject Access Request (This is via the Data Protection Act, not the Freedom of information act with is there access state information)

You will be required to send £10 for the information, and if you do send one make sure you include that you want all documents and reports including but not limited to any repairs, replacements and engineer visits.

A retailer is liable for six years for goods, however a product does not need to last this long. They must last a reasonable amount of time, for which a reasonable person expects, under reasonable use. Seeing as it is a sofa however, then we can quite easily push that 6 year period.

Unfortunately the proof of burden to show it is an inherent fault now lies with yourself.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

• 1 month later...

Yes, unfortunately you are to proof that it was minor quality and not your fault. This might be costly and require a certain amout of time. Yet you do not have a chance to get your money back or a new sofa if you don't do so. Sooner or later, if you want to have your right, you have to call an engineer.