Argos/Clearance bargains - cooker fault

MrShed
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5217 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Hope someone can advise on this - both legally, and what Argos are likely to do.

I bought a cooker and hob set (electric) from Argos "Clearance Bargains" store back in August 09. This was installed back in November.

Since then, within a matter of weeks, the knobs for the hobs came loose. Not a problem, I thought, doesnt really bother me.

However, this broke the waterproof seal into the unit, and lo and behold, my partner got a shock when turning on one of the hobs.

I dont have my receipt, but will have a bank statement as PoP.

Spoke to Argos Direct, who advise me to speak to store.

Spoke to store, who advise me to speak to AD white goods.

White goods advise me that the manufacturer (Cookworks) have gone into administration, and no repairs etc are possible. They advise me to return to store for a refund or alternative item.

However, there are some complications here:

1) This was a "home delivery only" item, purchased in store - as it was a clearance store.

2) The hob is now firmly fixed into my worktop, and the worktop cut to size.

3) The price I paid for cooker and hob set is the same price as the hob alone opn the site.

I would like Argos to:

1) Deliver a new hob (there is an identical one on the website, home del only) - but I would like to get a slightly higher model with touch controls to prevent the same issue reoccurring (I have no issue in paying the uplift).

2) Leave the new hob with me, and get my electrician out to swap old with new.

3) I then return old faulty hob to store (or Argos can collect, either or).

4) Argos refund me fitting cost.

The way I look at it, I am then out of pocket only £30 (the uplift cost). Other than this, I am effectively returned to the same position.

Does this sound fair, and does it sound like argos will do it?

Does anyone have a contact email for Argos, rather than using the horrible online "contact us" form?

Thanks in advance!

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

With regards to the upgrade, it would be a total discretion, and I don't see much success at getting it. Most of the time we take into account the price you paid at the time, and not the current price.

I know Argos Clearance is run separately which is why replacements are not offered at all unless Argos Clearance were to have the item in stock in which you can then repurchase the item. The legality on this, and whether something can be done regarding the current Argos stock I will have to look into further and see if its just a different trading name, or a separate company. I am also unsure of the liability from different trading names :/

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

strange , because partmaster do all the cookworks spare etc

not sure if this is your hob etc, but could be a start for parts etc if there is still a problem with Argos, maybe Argos wont deal with the company because its Currys etc

this is a gas one in the link

Currys partmaster.co.uk - Cookworks MM55534 Cooker & Oven Spares, Spare Parts & Accessories

main cooker lists etc

http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/catalogue.pl?section=350131&link_parent=261973&path=78825&shop=cookworks

I don't think a repair is feasible though due to the fault, Argos do have a repair/spares partnership with someone. Also as a note cookworks are an Argos Brand!

The item was sold under the trading name Clearance Bargains, can Argos therefore be forced to provide a replacement/exchange from Argos Stores?

Edited by blitz

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

cooksworks brank is sold in a lot of places inc some of the tv shopping channels, so the name is not solely used by argos

also cant find anything to say they have gone into liquidation !

The cookworks trademark is owned by Argos Ltd. The brand I assume is made by different manufacturers and imported in by Argos. The brand itself is not in liquidation (Argos purchase many brands during the credit crunch including Alba & Bush), however the manufacturer as a non-mentioned company could be.

Argos do sell bulk and trade items, TV channels and other companies can get hold of these goods via this way. (This is also why you need proof of purchase when returning goods, we have had trade buy goods and then go on a refunding spree getting refunds on to gift vouchers!)

Argos is the registered owner of a number of brands, which feature on a substantial number of products contained within the catalogue, including: Challenge,[10] Pro Action,[11] Visiq,[12] Mikomi,[13] Cookworks,[14] Beanstalk,[15] Pro Fitness,[16] Opticom,[17] Grosvenor,[18] Steamworks,[19] Aquarius,[20] Coolworks,[21] and Mega Games. In early 2009, Argos also struck a deal to take over the brands : Alba, Bush[3] and Chad Valley.[4]

The item was sold under the trading name Clearance Bargains, can Argos therefore be forced to provide a replacement/exchange from Argos Stores?

Thing is, arent Argos Head Office and Clearance Bargains Head Office one and the same?

I am right in thinking that Clearance Bargains are a subidiary ofArgos?

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Clearance Bargains have there own office, but are a trading name of Argos Ltd.

Argos Clearance

Unit B, Tyson Courtyard

Weldon South Industrial Estate

NN18 8AZ

You will need to have the issue escalated to resolutions, or write to the MD office yourself. Otherwise you might find yourself shipped around the departments as it is a clearance bargains item and most Argos numbers are Argos Store Customer Services (They wouldn't be able to help :/)

Refund wise I would tell them its faulty and to come and get an engineer to take it out, give them 14 days to remove the item if its faulty or not. Replacement/Exchange wise I really don't know

Can you PM the hob cat number please.. can't seem to find a cookworks one, wanted to see if it was an rebranded one or not

489/5699

Thats the one thats basically identical, but different brand name.

Have you got the address for the MD office?

Thanks for the address for CB by the way :)

MD:

Sara Weller (Managing Director)

Argos LTD, 489-499 Avebury Boulevard, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 2NW.