washing powder "too foamy" for my Haier washing machine

Beechleaf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4487 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a Haier washing machine last October. I've been having intermittent problems with it not spinning properly and the clothes having to be re-spun. But it doesn't happen every time, so I suppose I've let it drag on when I should have phone Comet about it sooner.

Anyway, my machine shows an error code "clrf". I just spoke to someone at Comet, and apparently this means there is too much foam in the machine. The machine will then refill with water and try to rinse it out, but if after that the machine still has too much foam in, then it will stop the cycle. Hence why my clothes are still wet (although I'd not realised they weren't rinsed properly either!).

I have not been using excessive amounts of washing powder, and usually use powder tablets or the liquid tablet sort, so they are a set amount and I don't do anything daft like stick 6 tablets in! I find it ridiculous that this would cause a problem with the washing machine, as I've used them perfectly fine with other washing machines.

Anyway, the advice from Comet was to keep trying different washing powders until i find one that foams less. I find it absolutely ridiculous that I can't use any standard kind of powder/liquid from a supermarket. I really don't think this is satisfactory that a washing machine is so over-sensitive like this that.

I was wondering what people think about this? And what next step I should take? I really wish I'd spent the extra money and bought the same type of machine (Bosch) that I've had before. However, just because something is cheap that doesn't mean it shouldn't work with normal washing powders!

Thanks for your help.

Hi I have never heard of this brand but I bet its chinese junk! They have the wrong type of water in China( compared to ours!)

Sounds to me like you have a good case for a claim .Goods Not fot for purpose. Try your local trading standards for help. They love Comet!

I expect you could claim under the Sale of goods act.

I bought a Haier washing machine last October. I've been having intermittent problems with it not spinning properly and the clothes having to be re-spun. But it doesn't happen every time, so I suppose I've let it drag on when I should have phone Comet about it sooner.

Anyway, my machine shows an error code "clrf". I just spoke to someone at Comet, and apparently this means there is too much foam in the machine. The machine will then refill with water and try to rinse it out, but if after that the machine still has too much foam in, then it will stop the cycle. Hence why my clothes are still wet (although I'd not realised they weren't rinsed properly either!).

I have not been using excessive amounts of washing powder, and usually use powder tablets or the liquid tablet sort, so they are a set amount and I don't do anything daft like stick 6 tablets in! I find it ridiculous that this would cause a problem with the washing machine, as I've used them perfectly fine with other washing machines.

Anyway, the advice from Comet was to keep trying different washing powders until i find one that foams less. I find it absolutely ridiculous that I can't use any standard kind of powder/liquid from a supermarket. I really don't think this is satisfactory that a washing machine is so over-sensitive like this that.

I was wondering what people think about this? And what next step I should take? I really wish I'd spent the extra money and bought the same type of machine (Bosch) that I've had before. However, just because something is cheap that doesn't mean it shouldn't work with normal washing powders!

Thanks for your help.

This is definately 'not fit for purpose'. To suggest that you try all the different washing products until you find one that works is not on and typical of this group of companies.

Good job they don't sell cars, they would be saying to try all the different petrols until you find one that don't make you car break down.

As the machine is less than six months old, the onus is on Comet to show there is no inherent fault with the machine.

Contact the shop you bought it from, (it is their responsibility), and demand that they either fix it, replace it or refund the price paid. Don't let them give you another phone number to ring, it is up to them to deal with it.

I would suggest that you follow this up with a recorded delivery letter to the same branch as well so you have a paper trail of things. Keep a copy of the letter.

Get this done tonight then post the letter and ring them tomorrow. Don't let it drag out and run the risk of the regulations not being on your side.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Comet Response

Thanks for your help.

Hi Beechleaf,

My name’s Matt and I’m from Comet.

I was disappointed to read the problems that you are experiencing with your Haier washing machine.

If the advice given to you over the phone has not resolved the issue, in the first instance you may wish to check how the appliance is connected. If it has been connected to the hot tap, this will cause excessive foam to be produced.

If the appliance is connected correctly to the cold tap, the best course of action would be for an engineer to inspect your washing machine in order to determine the nature of the problem. Upon completion of the inspection a decision will then be made as how best to move forward with this matter.

To arrange a suitable date for an engineer to inspect your washing machine, I would respectfully request that you contact our service booking line on 0844 800 95 95, selecting option 3. If you experience any problems with booking the inspection, you can e-mail me via the link below with your purchase information.

https://comet.custhelp.com

You will need to register a few details with us in order to be able to send your e-mail in.

Thanks

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

I just had the same error message on my HAIER washing machine (it's just under 1 year old, also bought from Comet) Thought it meant 'clear filter' but there was nothing in the filter, I would have never thought it meant 'too much foam' :eek:

That is ridiculous ! And there isn't even that much foam in the machine, as I always use powder sparingly. Maybe they are translating something incorrectly from the Chinese trouble shooting manual ?

do as above, matt is very good

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It is almost out of warranty, so I will have to register / report the fault staright away anyway. The machine seems to be working, but the error message persists even though there is clearly no excessive foam or even non at all when in spin cycle. I suppose it must be a sensor gone.:(

matters not under SOGA.the product should last a 'resonable time' and thats a good few years for a washing machine.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

matters not under SOGA.the product should last a 'resonable time' and thats a good few years for a washing machine.

dx

woah woah don't build the OPs hopes up they still have to prove its a fault that was inherent at time of manufacture and this could be a problem with use. As maybe caused by it being connected to the hot water

• 1 year later...

I sometimes get this message although there appears to be little or no foam. It never had any adverse effect though and it seems to clear itself once machine has been turned off and on again. I like to think it is a sensor reading problem on these machines.

i think this is the least of my problems...my machine sounds like a tree shredder,, on full spin!!lol.

ha ha ha.... not just yours.... mine as well !! It is noisy as anything. Sometimes I think the drum is somehow out of angle in the machine and keeps hitting the sides in spin mode making a real loud banging noise.

Glad to hear it's not just mine !!